From: Alan Stern <stern@rowland.harvard.edu>
To: Zebediah Figura <zfigura@codeweavers.com>
Cc: Greg KH <gregkh@linuxfoundation.org>,
	usb-storage@lists.one-eyed-alien.net, linux-usb@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Bug 207877: ASMedia drive (174c:55aa) hangs in ioctl CDROM_DRIVE_STATUS when mounting a DVD
Date: Thu, 28 May 2020 13:05:09 -0400	[thread overview]

> Thanks, I've attached a usbmon trace to the bug. It seems the kernel submits
> a bulk input transfer that never receives a response. I hope my drive isn't
> broken...

Did you wait for thirty seconds after that final bulk input transfer
started?  It should have been aborted at that point, just like the two
previous transfer attempts.  There might be a bad sector on the disc you
were trying to read; all three attempts seem to have failed at the same
place.

I get the impression that the SCSI error handler may have tried to reset
the device without first aborting the current transfer.  But it's not
easy to tell if that's what really happened.  You might be able to get
more information by enabling CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_DEBUG and rebuilding the
usb-storage driver, or by turning on SCSI debugging.

Alan Stern