On Tue, Jul 14, 2020 at 10:43:36PM +0100, Alex Bennée wrote: > I'm slightly confused by the MSI terminology because this only seems to > be relevant for the PCI legacy interface and AFAICT only touch the > outgoing path in setup and del_vq. Do incoming MSI interrupts just get > mapped directly to the appropriate handler function to process the > queues or the config? When MSI is used the VIRTIO ISR register does not need to be read by the guest interrupt handler. > Finally I'm curious if this is just a problem avoided by the s390 > channel approach? Does the use of messages over a channel just avoid the > sort of bouncing back and forth that other hypervisors have to do when > emulating a device? What does "bouncing back and forth" mean exactly? Stefan