On Tue, 21 Jul 2020 10:36:43 +0200 peterz@infradead.org wrote: > > Yeah, that's fine. You don't have any sched_fifo_high() ? > > Thanks! and no. > > I'll go write a Changelog and add it to tip/sched/fifo, so that > hopefully, sfr can stop complaining about this build fail ;-) > > I've even argued we should rename fifo_low() to something else, but > failed to come up with a sensible name. The intended case is for when > you want something above normal but don't particularly care about RT at > all. > > The thing is, once you start adding priorities, even low,med,high, we're > back to where we were. And the whole argument is that the kernel cannot > set priorities in any sensible fashion. Actually, I was wondering about a "sched_fifo_benchmark()" used specifically for internal testing, where you *want* to disrupt the system. Perhaps have it depend on CONFIG_DEBUG to at least scare people away from using it for normal production code. Or make it print a nasty banner like trace_printk() does. That worked pretty well at keeping people from using it ;-) -- Steve