On Thu, Aug 06, 2020 at 09:37:17PM -0700, Roman Gushchin wrote: > In general, yes. But in this case I think it wouldn't be a good idea: > most often cgroups are created by a centralized daemon (systemd), > which is usually located in the root cgroup. Even if it's located not in > the root cgroup, limiting it's memory will likely affect the whole system, > even if only one specific limit was reached. The generic scheme would be (assuming the no internal process constraint, in the root too) ` root or delegated root ` manager-cgroup (systemd, docker, ...) ` [aggregation group(s)] ` job-group-1 ` ... ` job-group-n > If there is a containerized workload, which creates sub-cgroups, > charging it's parent cgroup is perfectly effective. No dispute about this in either approaches. > And the opposite, if we'll charge the cgroup of a process, who created > a cgroup, we'll not cover the most common case: systemd creating > cgroups for all services in the system. What I mean is that systemd should be charged for the cgroup creation. Or more generally, any container/cgroup manager should be charged. Consider a leak when it wouldn't remove spent cgroups, IMO the effect (throttling, reclaim) should be exercised on such a culprit. I don't think the existing workload (job-group-i above) should unnecessarily suffer when only manager is acting up. Is that different from your idea? > Right, but it's quite unusual for tasks from one cgroup to create sub-cgroups > in completely different cgroup. In this particular case there are tons of other > ways how a task from C00 can hurt C1. I agree with that. If I haven't overlooked anything, this should be first case when cgroup-related structures are accounted (please correct me). So this is setting a precendent, if others show useful to be accounted in the future too. I'm thinking about cpu_cgroup_css_alloc() that can also allocate a lot (with big CPU count). The current approach would lead situations where matching cpu and memory csses needn't to exist and that would need special handling. > On Thu, Aug 06, 2020 at 09:16:03PM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote: > > These week-old issues appear to be significant. Roman? Or someone > > else? Despite my concerns, I don't think this is fundamental and can't be changed later so it doesn't prevent the inclusion in 5.9 RC1. Regards, Michal