On Fri, Aug 21, 2020 at 01:58:15PM +0530, Sameer Pujar wrote: > For example, SRC (sample rate converter) can change 'rate' info coming from > hw_param(). Similarly 'mux/demux' can change channel info. Fixing one set of > configuration in DT will limit the usage. If this is configurable from user > space, then it would be lot more easier. We shouldn't be fixing the configuration in DT unless it's fixed in the hardware, in which case we should be able to figure this out through constraints at runtime anyway and not need to expose anything to userspace. This covers an awful lot of SRC and other conversion use cases, they're often there because there's some fixed DAI that means there's only one possible setting on one side of the convertor. A lot of the other cases where there's more flexibility can probably be handled in a similar fashion with something other than the SRC itself being configured - normally the goal is to fix a link in a particular configuration through software policy and we can work back to setting up the SRC in the same way as if it was a hardware constraint.