On Mon, Oct 05, 2020 at 11:14:27AM +0300, Dmitry Osipenko wrote: > 05.10.2020 10:13, Thierry Reding пишет: > ... > > Have you also seen that sun50i-iommu does look up the SMMU from a > > phandle using of_find_device_by_node()? So I think you've shown yourself > > that even "modern" drivers avoid global pointers and look up via > > phandle. > > I have no problem with the lookup by phandle and I'm all for it. It's > now apparent to me that you completely missed my point, but that should > be my fault that I haven't conveyed it properly from the start. I just > wanted to avoid the incompatible DT changes which could break older DTs > + I simply wanted to improve the older code without introducing new > features, that's it. > > Anyways, after yours comments I started to look at how the interconnect > patches could be improved and found new things, like that OPPs now > support ICC and that EMC has a working EMC_STAT, I also discovered > syscon and simple-mfd. This means that we won't need the global pointers > at all neither for SMMU, nor for interconnect, nor for EMC drivers :) Well, evidently discussion on mailing lists actually works. =) Thierry