On Thu, Nov 05, 2020 at 07:47:24AM +0100, Gerd Hoffmann wrote: > > > > Yes. If you are creating a custom device that no one else needs to > > > > emulate then you can simply pick a unique URL: > > > > > > > > https://vendor.com/my-dev > > > > > > > > There doesn't need to be anything at the URL. It's just a unique string > > > > that no one else will use and therefore web URLs are handy because no > > > > one else will accidentally pick your string. > > > > > > If this is just a string I think it would be better to use the reverse > > > domain name scheme (as used by virtio-serial too), i.e. > > > > > > - org.qemu.devices.e1000e > > > - com.vendor.my-dev > > > > This is the Java syntax. > > I think both android and ios use that too, for app naming (but maybe that > comes from java). > > > Go uses gitlab.com/my-user/foo and I think it's > > nicer but I think I'm bikeshedding. > > > > Is there any particular reason why you prefer the reverse domain name > > approach? > > Having "https://" at the start is odd, especially if we don't require > that the given URL returns something useful. Other that that I don't > mind that much whenever we use go-style or java-style strings, with a > slight preference for the latter for consistency with virtio-serial. Thanks for explaining. We can discuss the exact format in the next revision if there are opinions. Stefan