On Tue 2020-07-28 23:34:17, Josh Triplett wrote: > On Tue, Jul 28, 2020 at 10:40:38PM +0200, Pavel Machek wrote: > > > We just need to make sure that any kernel CI infrastructure tests that > > > right away, then, so that failures don't get introduced by a patch from > > > someone without a Rust toolchain and not noticed until someone with a > > > Rust toolchain tests it. > > > > So... I'm fan of Rust, but while trying to use it one thing was obvious: it > > takes _significantly_ longer than C to compile and needs gigabyte a lot of RAM. > > > > Kernel is quite big project, can CI infrastructure handle additional load? > > > > Will developers see significantly longer compile times when Rust is widespread? > > I wouldn't expect the addition of Rust to the kernel to substantially > impact overall build time; on balance, I'd expect the major bottleneck > in kernel builds to continue to be linking and other serialized steps, > not compiling and other highly parallel steps. Well.. not everyone has 32 cores in their notebook. > There are also *many* things that can be done to improve Rust build time > in a project. And I don't expect that in-kernel Rust will have many > dependencies on third-party crates (since they'd need to be checked into Okay. I did some refactoring recently and I really wished kernel was in Rust (and not in C)... so lets see what happens. Best regards, Pavel -- http://www.livejournal.com/~pavelmachek