* CPUs with EVA support
@ 2020-12-20 19:32 Thomas Bogendoerfer
From: Thomas Bogendoerfer @ 2020-12-20 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-mips

Hi;

I've started looking how to get rid of get_fs/set_fs for MIPS and
my current obstacle is EVA support.

Looking for CPUs supporting EVA I only found P5600, are there more ?

Does someone sell boards with an EVA enabled CPU ?

How good is EVA support in qemu ?

Thomas.

--
Crap can work. Given enough thrust pigs will fly, but it's not necessarily a
good idea.                                                [ RFC1925, 2.3 ]

* Re: CPUs with EVA support
@ 2020-12-21  0:38 ` Jiaxun Yang
From: Jiaxun Yang @ 2020-12-21  0:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Bogendoerfer, linux-mips

在 2020/12/21 上午3:32, Thomas Bogendoerfer 写道:
> Hi;
>
> I've started looking how to get rid of get_fs/set_fs for MIPS and
> my current obstacle is EVA support.
>
> Looking for CPUs supporting EVA I only found P5600, are there more ?

Hi Thomas,

It is a optional feature for M14k but nobody enabled it :-(

> Does someone sell boards with an EVA enabled CPU ?

Baikal-T1 supports EVA.

> How good is EVA support in qemu ?

EVA is functional in QEMU.
I had tested it with P5600 malta system.

- Jiaxun

> Thomas.

* Re: CPUs with EVA support
@ 2020-12-21  7:04   ` Serge Semin
From: Serge Semin @ 2020-12-21  7:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jiaxun Yang, Thomas Bogendoerfer; +Cc: linux-mips

Hello Thomas, Jiaxun

On Mon, Dec 21, 2020 at 08:38:00AM +0800, Jiaxun Yang wrote:
> 在 2020/12/21 上午3:32, Thomas Bogendoerfer 写道:
> > Hi;
> >
> > I've started looking how to get rid of get_fs/set_fs for MIPS and
> > my current obstacle is EVA support.
> >
> > Looking for CPUs supporting EVA I only found P5600, are there more ?
>
> Hi Thomas,
>
> It is a optional feature for M14k but nobody enabled it :-(
>

> > Does someone sell boards with an EVA enabled CPU ?
>
> Baikal-T1 supports EVA.

Yeap, Baikal-T1 SoC does support EVA since based on P5600 does.
Moreover the feature is enabled in my CSP code by default, but
the segments mapping is initialized to fully match the legacy
MIPS address space layout.

Regarding the boards with Baikal-T1 to purchase. It's available and
demonstrated on the company site:
https://www.baikalelectronics.com/products/339/

Currently a single retailer selling the item is Russian-based:
https://www.chipdip.ru/product/bfk3.1?from=suggest_product
(Alas the site doesn't have an English version, so please use the
Goog-xlate.)
If for some reason you still won't be able to purchase it from there
please send me an email directly.

(Today I've got a suspicious message on my corporate inbox from a guy
- Yunqiang Su with email domain @cipunited.com, who stated that CIP
United wants to purchase one or more of them for you and requested to
give them the company sells contacts. I didn't response, because the
message structure looked more like a spam, than an official request.
It was also strange not to see you in CC.)

Regarding the Baikal-T1 boards being finally supported in the kernel.
I am still working on it. There are several more SoC-device drivers
to fix and I'll be ready to submit the CSP/BSP code to the MIPS arch
subsystem.

-Sergey

> > How good is EVA support in qemu ?
>
> EVA is functional in QEMU.
> I had tested it with P5600 malta system.
>
> - Jiaxun
>

> > Thomas.

* Re: CPUs with EVA support
@ 2020-12-21  7:21     ` Jiaxun Yang
From: Jiaxun Yang @ 2020-12-21  7:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Serge Semin, Thomas Bogendoerfer; +Cc: linux-mips, syq

在 2020/12/21 15:04, Serge Semin 写道:
> Hello Thomas, Jiaxun
>
> On Mon, Dec 21, 2020 at 08:38:00AM +0800, Jiaxun Yang wrote:
[...]
> (Today I've got a suspicious message on my corporate inbox from a guy
> - Yunqiang Su with email domain @cipunited.com, who stated that CIP
> United wants to purchase one or more of them for you and requested to
> give them the company sells contacts. I didn't response, because the
> message structure looked more like a spam, than an official request.
> It was also strange not to see you in CC.)

+ Yunqiang's Debian mailbox

Yunqiang is well-known as Debian-MIPS maintainer, I just informed him
a kernel developer is looking for EVA enabled hardware.

Probably something went wrong with his company email?

CIP United is running all MIPS business in China[1].

Thanks.

[1]:
https://www.electronicsweekly.com/news/business/mips-lands-china-2020-08/

- Jiaxun

> Regarding the Baikal-T1 boards being finally supported in the kernel.
> I am still working on it. There are several more SoC-device drivers
> to fix and I'll be ready to submit the CSP/BSP code to the MIPS arch
> subsystem.
>
> -Sergey
>
>>> How good is EVA support in qemu ?
>> EVA is functional in QEMU.
>> I had tested it with P5600 malta system.
>>
>> - Jiaxun
>>
>>> Thomas.

* Re: CPUs with EVA support
@ 2020-12-21  7:37     ` YunQiang Su
From: YunQiang Su @ 2020-12-21  7:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Serge Semin; +Cc: Jiaxun Yang, Thomas Bogendoerfer, linux-mips

Serge Semin <fancer.lancer@gmail.com> 于2020年12月21日周一 下午3:05写道:

> Hello Thomas, Jiaxun
>
> On Mon, Dec 21, 2020 at 08:38:00AM +0800, Jiaxun Yang wrote:
> > 在 2020/12/21 上午3:32, Thomas Bogendoerfer 写道:
> > > Hi;
> > >
> > > I've started looking how to get rid of get_fs/set_fs for MIPS and
> > > my current obstacle is EVA support.
> > >
> > > Looking for CPUs supporting EVA I only found P5600, are there more ?
> >
> > Hi Thomas,
> >
> > It is a optional feature for M14k but nobody enabled it :-(
> >

> > > Does someone sell boards with an EVA enabled CPU ?
> >
> > Baikal-T1 supports EVA.
>
> Yeap, Baikal-T1 SoC does support EVA since based on P5600 does.
> Moreover the feature is enabled in my CSP code by default, but
> the segments mapping is initialized to fully match the legacy
> MIPS address space layout.
>
> Regarding the boards with Baikal-T1 to purchase. It's available and
> demonstrated on the company site:
> https://www.baikalelectronics.com/products/339/
>
> Currently a single retailer selling the item is Russian-based:
> https://www.chipdip.ru/product/bfk3.1?from=suggest_product
> (Alas the site doesn't have an English version, so please use the
> Goog-xlate.)
> If for some reason you still won't be able to purchase it from there
> please send me an email directly.
>
> (Today I've got a suspicious message on my corporate inbox from a guy
> - Yunqiang Su with email domain @cipunited.com, who stated that CIP

Yes. It is me.
CIP is holding the business of MIPS in China (including HK, Macao).
And now I have a budget for MIPS eco-system: for team and devices.

--
YunQiang Su

* Re: CPUs with EVA support
@ 2020-12-21  7:49       ` Serge Semin
From: Serge Semin @ 2020-12-21  7:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: YunQiang Su
  Cc: Alexey Malahov, Roman Stavtsev, Jiaxun Yang, Thomas Bogendoerfer,
	linux-mips

Hello YunQiang,

On Mon, Dec 21, 2020 at 03:37:08PM +0800, YunQiang Su wrote:
> Serge Semin <fancer.lancer@gmail.com> 于2020年12月21日周一 下午3:05写道:
> >
> > Hello Thomas, Jiaxun
> >
> > On Mon, Dec 21, 2020 at 08:38:00AM +0800, Jiaxun Yang wrote:
> > > 在 2020/12/21 上午3:32, Thomas Bogendoerfer 写道:

> > > Hi Thomas,
> > >
> > > It is a optional feature for M14k but nobody enabled it :-(

> > > Baikal-T1 supports EVA.
> >
> > Yeap, Baikal-T1 SoC does support EVA since based on P5600 does.
> > Moreover the feature is enabled in my CSP code by default, but
> > the segments mapping is initialized to fully match the legacy
> > MIPS address space layout.
> >
> > Regarding the boards with Baikal-T1 to purchase. It's available and
> > demonstrated on the company site:
> > https://www.baikalelectronics.com/products/339/
> >
> > Currently a single retailer selling the item is Russian-based:
> > https://www.chipdip.ru/product/bfk3.1?from=suggest_product
> > (Alas the site doesn't have an English version, so please use the
> > Goog-xlate.)
> > If for some reason you still won't be able to purchase it from there
> > please send me an email directly.
> >
> > (Today I've got a suspicious message on my corporate inbox from a guy
> > - Yunqiang Su with email domain @cipunited.com, who stated that CIP
>

> Yes. It is me.
> CIP is holding the business of MIPS in China (including HK, Macao).
> And now I have a budget for MIPS eco-system: for team and devices.

Oh, sorry for being suspicious. Then I'll give you an answer to
the question here. First you can try to purchase the boards on the
site:
https://www.chipdip.ru/product/bfk3.1?from=suggest_product

If for some reason you won't be able to do that, please reach me one
more time and we'll try to figure out what to do then.

(I've added my managers in CC so they would be aware of the issue.)

-Sergey

> > United wants to purchase one or more of them for you and requested to
> > give them the company sells contacts. I didn't response, because the
> > message structure looked more like a spam, than an official request.
> > It was also strange not to see you in CC.)
> >
> > Regarding the Baikal-T1 boards being finally supported in the kernel.
> > I am still working on it. There are several more SoC-device drivers
> > to fix and I'll be ready to submit the CSP/BSP code to the MIPS arch
> > subsystem.
> >
> > -Sergey

> > > EVA is functional in QEMU.
> > > I had tested it with P5600 malta system.
> > >
> > > - Jiaxun

> --
> YunQiang Su

* Re: CPUs with EVA support
@ 2020-12-22 14:46 ` Hauke Mehrtens
From: Hauke Mehrtens @ 2020-12-22 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Bogendoerfer, linux-mips

On 12/20/20 8:32 PM, Thomas Bogendoerfer wrote:
> Hi;
>
> I've started looking how to get rid of get_fs/set_fs for MIPS and
> my current obstacle is EVA support.
>
> Looking for CPUs supporting EVA I only found P5600, are there more ?
>
> Does someone sell boards with an EVA enabled CPU ?
>
> How good is EVA support in qemu ?
>
> Thomas.

Hi,

The InterAptiv CPUs used by Lantiq/Intel/MaxLinear are supporting EVA
mode and it is used in the default settings of the vendor SDK.

The SoCs are not supported by mainline Linux kernel, it was tried to add
them some years ago:
https://lwn.net/Articles/761729/
https://lwn.net/ml/linux-kernel/20180803030237.3366-2-songjun.wu@linux.intel.com/

Hauke

* Re: CPUs with EVA support
@ 2020-12-23 14:46   ` Thomas Bogendoerfer
From: Thomas Bogendoerfer @ 2020-12-23 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hauke Mehrtens; +Cc: linux-mips

On Tue, Dec 22, 2020 at 03:46:31PM +0100, Hauke Mehrtens wrote:
> On 12/20/20 8:32 PM, Thomas Bogendoerfer wrote:
> > Hi;
> >
> > I've started looking how to get rid of get_fs/set_fs for MIPS and
> > my current obstacle is EVA support.
> >
> > Looking for CPUs supporting EVA I only found P5600, are there more ?
> >
> > Does someone sell boards with an EVA enabled CPU ?
> >
> > How good is EVA support in qemu ?
> >
> > Thomas.
> >
> Hi,
>
> The InterAptiv CPUs used by Lantiq/Intel/MaxLinear are supporting EVA mode
> and it is used in the default settings of the vendor SDK.

too bad that I lost my access to a GRX350 eval board, but at least
hardware with GRX350&550 is easy to get.

> The SoCs are not supported by mainline Linux kernel, it was tried to add
> them some years ago:
> https://lwn.net/Articles/761729/
> https://lwn.net/ml/linux-kernel/20180803030237.3366-2-songjun.wu@linux.intel.com/

and no updates for that ? Too sad...

Thomas.

--

@ 2020-12-27 22:26   ` Thomas Bogendoerfer
From: Thomas Bogendoerfer @ 2020-12-27 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jiaxun Yang; +Cc: linux-mips

On Mon, Dec 21, 2020 at 08:38:00AM +0800, Jiaxun Yang wrote:
> > How good is EVA support in qemu ?
>
> EVA is functional in QEMU.
> I had tested it with P5600 malta system.

and it's working for you ? I've setup a qemu malta system running
debian buster. It boots fine when CPU is != P5600, but as soon as
I enable -cpu P5600 it stops booting:

Run /bin/bash as init process
request_module: kmod_concurrent_max (0) close to 0 (max_modprobes: 50), for module binfmt-464c, throttling...
request_module: modprobe binfmt-464c cannot be processed, kmod busy with 50 threads for more than 5 seconds now
Kernel panic - not syncing: Requested init /bin/bash failed (error -8).

This happens independant whether EVA enabled or disabled.

Has anybody seen this ?

Thomas.

--

@ 2020-12-28  1:28     ` Jiaxun Yang
From: Jiaxun Yang @ 2020-12-28  1:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Bogendoerfer; +Cc: linux-mips

On Mon, Dec 28, 2020, at 6:26 AM, Thomas Bogendoerfer wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 21, 2020 at 08:38:00AM +0800, Jiaxun Yang wrote:
> > > How good is EVA support in qemu ?
> >
> > EVA is functional in QEMU.
> > I had tested it with P5600 malta system.
>
> and it's working for you ? I've setup a qemu malta system running
> debian buster. It boots fine when CPU is != P5600, but as soon as
> I enable -cpu P5600 it stops booting:
>
> Run /bin/bash as init process
> request_module: kmod_concurrent_max (0) close to 0 (max_modprobes: 50),
> for module binfmt-464c, throttling...
> request_module: modprobe binfmt-464c cannot be processed, kmod busy
> with 50 threads for more than 5 seconds now
> Kernel panic - not syncing: Requested init /bin/bash failed (error -8).

Well you need add "ieee754=relaxed" to cmdline
to workaround this.

It's due to NAN2008 mismatch.

Thanks.

- Jiaxun

--
- Jiaxun

* Re: CPUs with EVA support
@ 2020-12-28 10:47       ` Thomas Bogendoerfer
From: Thomas Bogendoerfer @ 2020-12-28 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jiaxun Yang; +Cc: linux-mips

On Mon, Dec 28, 2020 at 09:28:53AM +0800, Jiaxun Yang wrote:

> > > EVA is functional in QEMU.
> > > I had tested it with P5600 malta system.
> >
> > and it's working for you ? I've setup a qemu malta system running
> > debian buster. It boots fine when CPU is != P5600, but as soon as
> > I enable -cpu P5600 it stops booting:
> >
> > Run /bin/bash as init process
> > request_module: kmod_concurrent_max (0) close to 0 (max_modprobes: 50),
> > for module binfmt-464c, throttling...
> > request_module: modprobe binfmt-464c cannot be processed, kmod busy
> > with 50 threads for more than 5 seconds now
> > Kernel panic - not syncing: Requested init /bin/bash failed (error -8).
>
> Well you need add "ieee754=relaxed" to cmdline
> to workaround this.
>
> It's due to NAN2008 mismatch.

excellent, now it boots. I had to specify "coherentio" as kernel parameter
to avoid a pcnet32 driver crash the kernel. Looks like creating uncached
pointers is borken in EVA kernels, is this a known issue ?

Thomas.