On Mon, Dec 28, 2020 at 02:16:04PM +0100, Hans de Goede wrote: > And more in general AFAIK extcon is sort of deprecated and it is > not advised to use it for new code. I would esp. not expect it to > be used for new jack-detection code since we already have standard > uAPI support for that through sound/core/jack.c . Has Android been fixed to use the ALSA/input layer interfaces? That's why that code is there, long term the goal was to have ALSA generate extcon events too so userspace could fall over to using that. The basic thing at the time was that nobody liked any of the existing interfaces (the input layer thing is a total bodge stemming from it having been easy to hack in a key for GPIO detection and using ALSA controls means having to link against alsa-lib which is an awful faff for system level UI stuff) and there were three separate userspace interfaces used by different software stacks which needed to be joined together, extcon was felt to be a bit more designed and is a superset so that was the direction we were heading in.