On Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 06:19:28AM +0000, Timon Baetz wrote: > On Fri, 8 Jan 2021 16:16:53 +0000, Mark Brown wrote: > > On Fri, Jan 08, 2021 at 03:16:48PM +0000, Timon Baetz wrote: > > > Muic needs a node to be used with extcon_get_edev_by_phandle(). > > > Charger needs a node to reference a regulator. > > The pattern is to use the parent device's node. > So is extcon going to be a self-reference then? I guess, assuming you even need to look this up via the device tree. > Just for my understanding: I can see sub-nodes for MFD all over the > place. It is still not clear to me why sub-nodes aren't the right > choice in this specific case? They probably aren't the right choice for a lot of the other usages either, there's a great tendency to just encode the specific way that Linux currently handles things into the DT without really thinking about what it means.