* [Buildroot] : How to add a path to environment variable ?
@ 2021-01-21 15:32 manu f
From: manu f @ 2021-01-21 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hello,

I create an overlay to install nodejs in usr/local/lib/nodejs

and I need to add to the target environment varriable the path to the bin
contain directory.
How to do that ?

(to be more clear manually on the target terminal I use export command to
add the path, how to add this path at kernel compile time ?)

Thanks
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [Buildroot] : How to add a path to environment variable ?
@ 2021-01-21 16:47 ` Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2021-01-21 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

On Thu, 21 Jan 2021 16:32:56 +0100
manu f <e.fiancette@gmail.com> wrote:

> I create an overlay to install nodejs in usr/local/lib/nodejs

Why don't you use the nodejs package that Buildroot has ?

> and I need to add to the target environment varriable the path to the bin
> contain directory.
> How to do that ?

Add an extra file in /etc/profile.d/ to expand the PATH as needed. You
can use a root filesystem overlay to achieve this.

Best regards,

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Bootlin
Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering

* [Buildroot] : How to add a path to environment variable ?
@ 2021-01-21 17:02   ` manu f
From: manu f @ 2021-01-21 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Thanks for your suggestion!
in the last buildroot version, nodejs is deprecated!
So I use my own compiled version of nodejs.

about etc/profile.d , I was just working on it, so its confirm this is the
good way.
But I was thinking there was a way to add natively the path ac buildroot
compilation time. sorry I am newby.

Regards

Le jeu. 21 janv. 2021 ? 17:47, Thomas Petazzoni <
thomas.petazzoni@bootlin.com> a ?crit :

@ 2021-01-21 19:47     ` Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2021-01-21 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hello,

On Thu, 21 Jan 2021 18:02:39 +0100
manu f <e.fiancette@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for your suggestion!
> in the last buildroot version, nodejs is deprecated!
> So I use my own compiled version of nodejs.

Deprecated ? We definitely still have a nodejs package, and it's not
deprecated at all.

> about etc/profile.d , I was just working on it, so its confirm this is the
> good way.
> But I was thinking there was a way to add natively the path ac buildroot
> compilation time. sorry I am newby.

In fact, you can also tweak the option BR2_SYSTEM_DEFAULT_PATH which
sets the default PATH value.

Best regards,

Thomas
--

@ 2021-01-21 21:43       ` Yann E. MORIN
From: Yann E. MORIN @ 2021-01-21 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Thomas, Manu, All,

On 2021-01-21 20:47 +0100, Thomas Petazzoni spake thusly:
> On Thu, 21 Jan 2021 18:02:39 +0100
> manu f <e.fiancette@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Thanks for your suggestion!
> > in the last buildroot version, nodejs is deprecated!
> > So I use my own compiled version of nodejs.
>
> Deprecated ? We definitely still have a nodejs package, and it's not
> deprecated at all.

I think Manu meant that the version of nodejs we cary is depreceated.

Indeed, we still have nodejs 12.20.1, which is not the latest.

However, it is not deprecated. 12.x is in maintenance-only now, until
around May 2022, which means we cary a stable version, on which people
can be sure no API breakage will occur; only bug fixes and security
fixes will be applied (in practice, only security fixes).

The other LTS, 14.x, will continue to receive evolutions until Oct.
2021, after which it will enter maintainance-only mode. So it is
currently not as stable as 12.x.

15.s will not be an LTS, and will disapear around end os S1 2021.

16.x is not even released yet, and will be the next LTS.

So in the end, I would not qualify our version of being deprecated; it's
just not the latest LTS.

12.x is stable, and a good fit I believe for our next LTS.

Note: I am *not* arguing for having two versions of nodejs in the tree.
No, no, no! ;-]

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.

| +33 561 099 427 `------------.-------:  X  AGAINST      |  \e/  There is no  |

* [Buildroot] : How to add a path to environment variable ?
@ 2021-01-22 10:47         ` Peter Korsgaard
From: Peter Korsgaard @ 2021-01-22 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

 > Thomas, Manu, All,
 > On 2021-01-21 20:47 +0100, Thomas Petazzoni spake thusly:
 >> On Thu, 21 Jan 2021 18:02:39 +0100
 >> manu f <e.fiancette@gmail.com> wrote:
 >> > Thanks for your suggestion!
 >> > in the last buildroot version, nodejs is deprecated!
 >> > So I use my own compiled version of nodejs.
 >>
 >> Deprecated ? We definitely still have a nodejs package, and it's not
 >> deprecated at all.

 > I think Manu meant that the version of nodejs we cary is depreceated.

Or perhaps he is using an older (<ARMv6) ARM Soc, which was only
supported on the old 0.10.x series?

 > Indeed, we still have nodejs 12.20.1, which is not the latest.

 > However, it is not deprecated. 12.x is in maintenance-only now, until
 > around May 2022, which means we cary a stable version, on which people
 > can be sure no API breakage will occur; only bug fixes and security
 > fixes will be applied (in practice, only security fixes).

 > The other LTS, 14.x, will continue to receive evolutions until Oct.
 > 2021, after which it will enter maintainance-only mode. So it is
 > currently not as stable as 12.x.

 > 15.s will not be an LTS, and will disapear around end os S1 2021.

 > 16.x is not even released yet, and will be the next LTS.

 > So in the end, I would not qualify our version of being deprecated; it's
 > just not the latest LTS.

 > 12.x is stable, and a good fit I believe for our next LTS.

 > Note: I am *not* arguing for having two versions of nodejs in the tree.
 > No, no, no! ;-]

Indeed not. I would not mind if (someone actually using nodejs) would
send a patch to bump to the 14.x series, but preferably ASAP so we can
have it 2021.02.x.

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard

* [Buildroot] : How to add a path to environment variable ?
@ 2021-01-22 11:22           ` manu f
From: manu f @ 2021-01-22 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Thanks all for your return,

ok, so I think I mistaken about buildroot nodejs version, sorry I used
"deprecated" term ;-)
I actualy use node version 14.15.0, but 12.x must work also.
I use the buildroot checkout version 2020.02.8 who must be if I well
understood at time I did it, the last stable version.
if I select the target package nodejs, in help, I saw it is based on V8.

if I need to update to a newer version I think I need to install my own
nodejs package version, right ? (or is there a way to update the installed
package inside buildroot without moving to another buidrood version ?

Regards

Emmanuel

PS: I am near complently noob on buildroot and kernel compil ...

Le ven. 22 janv. 2021 ? 11:47, Peter Korsgaard <peter@korsgaard.com> a
?crit :

@ 2021-01-22 15:35             ` Peter Korsgaard
From: Peter Korsgaard @ 2021-01-22 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

 > Thanks all for your return,
 > ok, so I think I mistaken about buildroot nodejs version, sorry I used
 > "deprecated" term ;-)
 > I actualy use node version 14.15.0, but 12.x must work also.
 > I use the buildroot checkout version 2020.02.8 who must be if I well
 > understood at time I did it, the last stable version.
 > if I select the target package nodejs, in help, I saw it is based on V8.

V8 is a reference to the V8 Javascript engine used by nodejs (and
Chrome):

https://v8.dev/

Buildroot 2020.02.8 provides nodejs 12.18.4 (2020.02.9 bumped that to
nodejs 12.19.1 and the upcoming 2020.02.10 release will include 12.20.1
to fix some security issues).

 > if I need to update to a newer version I think I need to install my own
 > nodejs package version, right ? (or is there a way to update the installed
 > package inside buildroot without moving to another buidrood version ?

Correct, but if you do so, it would be nice if you could send a patch to
change the version so the upcoming 2021.02 release will have then new
version.

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard

* [Buildroot] : How to add a path to environment variable ?
@ 2021-01-22 15:45               ` manu f
From: manu f @ 2021-01-22 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

I think I am not ready to make a patch for now :-)
firstly because I am not sure that how I install it is the good way..
also I never made patch before. :-/

but you could find the arm version here :
https://nodejs.org/dist/v14.15.0/node-v14.15.0-linux-armv7l.tar.xz
but you already know that !
;-)

Le ven. 22 janv. 2021 ? 16:35, Peter Korsgaard <peter@korsgaard.com> a