Hi Deri! At 2021-01-22T16:27:38+0000, Deri wrote: > On Friday, 22 January 2021 03:56:00 GMT G. Branden Robinson wrote: > > The gap between aspiration and implementation. I don't think the > > "copy-and-paste from PDF to terminal window" matter is completely > > sorted out yet. > > Hi Branden, > > I can't seem to make this not work. In my last email I explained how a > default ucmap is installed in the pdfs produced by gropdf, so assuming > the pdf viewer supports the pdf standard it should not require a > change to the man macros you favour. I have tested using 'xpdf' as the > viewer which pastes:- > > - − fi <== without ucmap > - - fi <== with ucmap > > Of course, if the pdf is produced by using grops and ghostscript the > result will be the same as using gropdf with no ucmap, i.e. '-' and > '\-' will be pasted as different characters. You're right! It works for me with both evince (my usual viewer) and xpdf as it does for you. I had had a problem with PDF man pages in the past but couldn't remember clearly what it was, and had thought it was this. But I was able to copy-and-paste and run the "ls -l" from the attached trivial man page from the PDF without trouble: $ groff -Tpdf -man hyphen-minus.man > hm.pdf $ evince hm.pdf This is actually a relief to me. I feared that special-casing the \- would become a camel's nose that would support the recent lobbying effort for permanent degradation of traditional *roff glyphs to ASCII "just for man pages". Regards, Branden