From: "Pali Rohár" <pali@kernel.org>
To: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro@orcam.me.uk>
Cc: David Laight <David.Laight@ACULAB.COM>,
	'Amey Narkhede' <ameynarkhede03@gmail.com>,
	"alex.williamson@redhat.com" <alex.williamson@redhat.com>,
	"helgaas@kernel.org" <helgaas@kernel.org>,
	"lorenzo.pieralisi@arm.com" <lorenzo.pieralisi@arm.com>,
	"kabel@kernel.org" <kabel@kernel.org>,
	"linux-pci@vger.kernel.org" <linux-pci@vger.kernel.org>,
	"linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org" <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>,
	"raphael.norwitz@nutanix.com" <raphael.norwitz@nutanix.com>
Subject: Re: How long should be PCIe card in Warm Reset state?
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2021 17:04:58 +0200	[thread overview]

On Tuesday 30 March 2021 16:34:47 Maciej W. Rozycki wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Mar 2021, Pali Rohár wrote:
>
> > >  If I were to implement this stuff, for good measure I'd give it a safety
> > > margin beyond what the spec requires and use a timeout of say 2-4s while
> > > actively querying the status of the device.  The values given in the spec
> > > are only the minimum requirements.
> >
> > Are you able to also figure out what is the minimal timeout value for
> > PCIe Warm Reset?
> >
> > Because we are having troubles to "decode" correct minimal timeout value
> > for this PCIe Warm Reset (not Function-level reset).
>
>  The spec does not give any exceptions AFAICT as to the timeouts required
> between the three kinds of a Conventional Reset (Hot, Warm, or Cold) and
> refers to them collectively as a Conventional Reset across the relevant
> parts of the document, so clearly the same rules apply.
>
>   Maciej

There are specified more timeouts related to Warm reset and PERST#
signal. Just they are not in Base spec, but in CEM spec. See previous
Amey's email where are described some timeouts and also links in my
first email where I put other timeouts defined in specs relevant for
PERST# signal and therefore also for Warm Reset.