* Subscriber actions for migrating lists to lists.linux.dev
@ 2021-04-16 20:58 James Bottomley
From: James Bottomley @ 2021-04-16 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users, tools

I'm fairly certain all I need to do is a bit of duplicate message
elimination and to update my procmail rules, but on the latter, what is
the header I should be sorting on?  For current kernel.org lists, it's
either X-Mailing-list: or List-ID:  Will it be the same for
lists.linux.dev (so I just add to the domain in the rule)?

Ordinarily I'd just wait and see, but given the volumes involved I
wasn't keen on waking up to hundreds of emails suddenly in my INBOX
instead of the list folders.

James

* Re: Subscriber actions for migrating lists to lists.linux.dev
@ 2021-04-16 21:16 ` Konstantin Ryabitsev
From: Konstantin Ryabitsev @ 2021-04-16 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Bottomley; +Cc: users, tools

On Fri, Apr 16, 2021 at 01:58:22PM -0700, James Bottomley wrote:
> I'm fairly certain all I need to do is a bit of duplicate message
> elimination and to update my procmail rules, but on the latter, what is
> the header I should be sorting on?  For current kernel.org lists, it's
> either X-Mailing-list: or List-ID:  Will it be the same for
> lists.linux.dev (so I just add to the domain in the rule)?

We still add both List-Id and X-Mailing-List headers, but as "List-Id" is an
actual RFC standard, I suggest filtering based on that. E.g. for
linux-staging@lists.linux.dev we add the following headers:

> Ordinarily I'd just wait and see, but given the volumes involved I
> wasn't keen on waking up to hundreds of emails suddenly in my INBOX
> instead of the list folders.

Note, that once we get around to vger lists, we'll be preserving the address
and list-id without changes. The lists we're currently migrating are moving
from other places -- either from domains we don't control (lists.01.org), or
from domains like lists.linuxfoundation.org where there are MLs that will
likely not enjoy mlmmj-style list management and will move to groups.io
instead after we cherry-pick the devel lists.

-K

* Re: Subscriber actions for migrating lists to lists.linux.dev
@ 2021-04-16 21:22   ` James Bottomley
From: James Bottomley @ 2021-04-16 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Konstantin Ryabitsev; +Cc: users, tools

On Fri, 2021-04-16 at 17:16 -0400, Konstantin Ryabitsev wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 16, 2021 at 01:58:22PM -0700, James Bottomley wrote:
> > I'm fairly certain all I need to do is a bit of duplicate message
> > elimination and to update my procmail rules, but on the latter,
> > what is the header I should be sorting on?  For current kernel.org
> > lists, it's either X-Mailing-list: or List-ID:  Will it be the same
> > for lists.linux.dev (so I just add to the domain in the rule)?
>
> We still add both List-Id and X-Mailing-List headers, but as "List-
> Id" is an actual RFC standard, I suggest filtering based on that.
> E.g. for linux-staging@lists.linux.dev we add the following headers:

> > Ordinarily I'd just wait and see, but given the volumes involved I
> > wasn't keen on waking up to hundreds of emails suddenly in my INBOX
> > instead of the list folders.
>
> Note, that once we get around to vger lists, we'll be preserving the
> address and list-id without changes.

Thanks, I like hearing "you don't have to do anything at all".

>  The lists we're currently migrating are moving from other places --
> either from domains we don't control (lists.01.org), or from domains
> like lists.linuxfoundation.org where there are MLs that will likely
> not enjoy mlmmj-style list management and will move to groups.io
> instead after we cherry-pick the devel lists.

OK, so for ksummit-discuss and it's ilk I need

And I'll be good to go.

Thanks!

@ 2021-04-16 21:26     ` Konstantin Ryabitsev
From: Konstantin Ryabitsev @ 2021-04-16 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Bottomley; +Cc: users, tools

On Fri, Apr 16, 2021 at 02:22:58PM -0700, James Bottomley wrote:
> >  The lists we're currently migrating are moving from other places --
> > either from domains we don't control (lists.01.org), or from domains
> > like lists.linuxfoundation.org where there are MLs that will likely
> > not enjoy mlmmj-style list management and will move to groups.io
> > instead after we cherry-pick the devel lists.
>
> OK, so for ksummit-discuss and it's ilk I need

Note, that the new list is without the -discuss part, just
ksummit@lists.linux.dev, so you'll probably want:

-K