This is a code snippet from line 63 of drivers: pnp: isapnp: proc.c This is an error I came across while looking through some checkpatch errors. if (!(de = bus->procdir)) { sprintf(name, "%02x", bus->number); de = bus->procdir = proc_mkdir(name, isapnp_proc_bus_dir); if (!de) return -ENOMEM; } In the above code snippet is assignment inside the if statement necessary? Can the assignment be done outside the if statement as it is a good coding style practice? Is that change sufficient? I dont want to just shut checkpatch errors as I really want to improve the code. Thankyou for taking your time to go through this. Anupama K Patil