From: Jan Kara <jack@suse.cz>
To: Joseph Qi <joseph.qi@linux.alibaba.com>
Cc: Jan Kara <jack@suse.cz>, ocfs2-devel@oss.oracle.com
Subject: Re: [Ocfs2-devel] Possible fs corruption when hole punch races with other ops
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2021 12:44:25 +0200	[thread overview]

Hello!

On Thu 22-04-21 11:22:07, Joseph Qi wrote:
> Checked the code flow, it seems the race you worried truly exists.
> We have to take ip_alloc_sem before calling into ocfs2_get_block().

OK, that's what I assumed but this won't be easy. Because ocfs2_writepage()
is called with a page locked but ocfs2_remove_inode_range() gets called
under ip_alloc_sem and locks pages in ocfs2_truncate_cluster_pages() ->
truncate_inode_pages_range(). Which creates ABBA deadlock. So you'll
probably need to come up with a similar dance like in ocfs2_readpage().

But after fixing this, ip_alloc_sem should provide you with enough
protection so that ocfs2 isn't prone to races between hole punch and
readahead / fault my work will be mostly irrelevant for OCFS2.

Thanks for confirmation!

								Honza

--
Jan Kara <jack@suse.com>