On Fri, May 14, 2021 at 01:33:24PM -0500, Chris Morgan wrote: > On Fri, May 14, 2021 at 06:49:58PM +0100, Mark Brown wrote: > > > + if (!node) { > > > + dev_err(dev, "%s() dev->parent->of_node is NULL\n", > > > + __func__); > > There's no need to fail the probe here, you won't be able to read any DT > > properties but that shouldn't stop the driver binding. > If I'm not mistaken this is actually telling us to fail if the parent > device (the PMIC itself) isn't present. I think I'll remove this as not > necessary since if the parent node isn't present the mfd driver will > never load, meaning this driver will never load either. So it is - I edited incorrectly when I went to reply. > Below this line however we're failing if the codec node isn't present. > Are you telling me we want to bind the driver if the node isn't present > (such as in the edge case where the driver is present and the PMIC is a > rk817, but the CODEC is not in use)? I will remove the return code if Yes. > you think that is what needs to be done. My concern there though is if > we do that we'll either be in a position to again report a bunch of > errors for the edge case of users who want to use the PMIC but not the > codec (in this case missing clocks and whatnot) if we try to bind the Why would there be any errors?