From: Masami Hiramatsu <mhiramat@kernel.org>
To: Peter Zijlstra <peterz@infradead.org>
Cc: Steven Rostedt <rostedt@goodmis.org>,
	Masami Hiramatsu <mhiramat@kernel.org>,
	LKML <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>,
	Shuah Khan <shuah@kernel.org>,
	Shuah Khan <skhan@linuxfoundation.org>
Subject: Re: selftest/ftrace: Add test results to "-h" help text to ftracetest
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2021 08:59:10 +0900	[thread overview]

On Mon, 28 Jun 2021 17:08:09 +0200
Peter Zijlstra <peterz@infradead.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 28, 2021 at 09:50:15AM -0400, Steven Rostedt wrote:
> > +echo "	UNRESOLVED	The test produced indeterminate results. (e.g. interrupted)"
> > +echo "	UNSUPPORTED	The test failed because of lack of feature."
>
> So in my case I've seen both these as a result of .config fails.
>
> Specifically test.d/kprobe/kprobe_module.tc returns exit_unresolved when
> it can't load the module (because it doesn't exist).

Since I defined these result code from DejaGnu (based on POSIX 1003.3) result,
I made such error (failed to load kernel module, which just gives a target
but is not an implementation of the tested feature) UNRESOLVED.

https://www.gnu.org/software/dejagnu/manual/A-POSIX-Conforming-Test-Framework.html
---
Here are some of the ways a test may wind up UNRESOLVED:
- The test was set up incorrectly.
---
My logic is that you are not correctly (compile and) install the target module,
so this is a setting issue.

> Also, would it be at all possible to, for both these options, always
> print the missing CONFIG_symbol ? The above test actually has an echo
> for it, but I've never seen the result of that appear.

That's a good idea :) Let me try to add depending CONFIG_ options for
each test cases.

Thank you,

--
Masami Hiramatsu <mhiramat@kernel.org>