On Thu, Sep 16, 2021 at 03:56:48PM -0400, Tom Rini wrote: > As explained by Wolfgang, historically PowerPC would do a number of > things to hand-optimize placement of the binary on NOR flash in order to > maximize utilization of very scarce resources. These days, we simply > aren't optimizing our binary layout for NOR flash placement and it's > quite likely this wasn't working as intended. Furthermore, this level > of optimization makes it difficult to have version_string be a global, > instead of a weak and overridden value, and so make more progress on > reproducible builds, which is a current concern. > > Move to having PowerPC no longer store version_string in the early part > of text so that it might be part of the first page of NOR and instead > use the same declaration everyone else does. > > Link: https://lore.kernel.org/r/96716.1629798400@gemini.denx.de/ > Signed-off-by: Tom Rini Applied to u-boot/next, thanks! -- Tom