On Thu, 7 Oct 2021 16:42:49 +0100 Stefan Hajnoczi wrote: > On Thu, Oct 07, 2021 at 02:51:55PM +0200, Christian Schoenebeck wrote: > > On Donnerstag, 7. Oktober 2021 07:23:59 CEST Stefan Hajnoczi wrote: > > > On Mon, Oct 04, 2021 at 09:38:00PM +0200, Christian Schoenebeck wrote: > > > > At the moment the maximum transfer size with virtio is limited to 4M > > > > (1024 * PAGE_SIZE). This series raises this limit to its maximum > > > > theoretical possible transfer size of 128M (32k pages) according to the > > > > virtio specs: > > > > > > > > https://docs.oasis-open.org/virtio/virtio/v1.1/cs01/virtio-v1.1-cs01.html# > > > > x1-240006 > > > Hi Christian, > > > I took a quick look at the code: > > > Hi, Thanks Stefan for sharing virtio expertise and helping Christian ! > > > - The Linux 9p driver restricts descriptor chains to 128 elements > > > (net/9p/trans_virtio.c:VIRTQUEUE_NUM) > > > > Yes, that's the limitation that I am about to remove (WIP); current kernel > > patches: > > https://lore.kernel.org/netdev/cover.1632327421.git.linux_oss@crudebyte.com/ > > I haven't read the patches yet but I'm concerned that today the driver > is pretty well-behaved and this new patch series introduces a spec > violation. Not fixing existing spec violations is okay, but adding new > ones is a red flag. I think we need to figure out a clean solution. > > > > - The QEMU 9pfs code passes iovecs directly to preadv(2) and will fail > > > with EINVAL when called with more than IOV_MAX iovecs > > > (hw/9pfs/9p.c:v9fs_read()) > > > > Hmm, which makes me wonder why I never encountered this error during testing. > > > > Most people will use the 9p qemu 'local' fs driver backend in practice, so > > that v9fs_read() call would translate for most people to this implementation > > on QEMU side (hw/9p/9p-local.c): > > > > static ssize_t local_preadv(FsContext *ctx, V9fsFidOpenState *fs, > > const struct iovec *iov, > > int iovcnt, off_t offset) > > { > > #ifdef CONFIG_PREADV > > return preadv(fs->fd, iov, iovcnt, offset); > > #else > > int err = lseek(fs->fd, offset, SEEK_SET); > > if (err == -1) { > > return err; > > } else { > > return readv(fs->fd, iov, iovcnt); > > } > > #endif > > } > > > > > Unless I misunderstood the code, neither side can take advantage of the > > > new 32k descriptor chain limit? > > > > > > Thanks, > > > Stefan > > > > I need to check that when I have some more time. One possible explanation > > might be that preadv() already has this wrapped into a loop in its > > implementation to circumvent a limit like IOV_MAX. It might be another "it > > works, but not portable" issue, but not sure. > > > > There are still a bunch of other issues I have to resolve. If you look at > > net/9p/client.c on kernel side, you'll notice that it basically does this ATM > > > > kmalloc(msize); > > Note that this is done twice : once for the T message (client request) and once for the R message (server answer). The 9p driver could adjust the size of the T message to what's really needed instead of allocating the full msize. R message size is not known though. > > for every 9p request. So not only does it allocate much more memory for every > > request than actually required (i.e. say 9pfs was mounted with msize=8M, then > > a 9p request that actually would just need 1k would nevertheless allocate 8M), > > but also it allocates > PAGE_SIZE, which obviously may fail at any time. > > The PAGE_SIZE limitation sounds like a kmalloc() vs vmalloc() situation. > > I saw zerocopy code in the 9p guest driver but didn't investigate when > it's used. Maybe that should be used for large requests (file > reads/writes)? This is the case already : zero-copy is only used for reads/writes/readdir if the requested size is 1k or more. Also you'll note that in this case, the 9p driver doesn't allocate msize for the T/R messages but only 4k, which is largely enough to hold the header. /* * We allocate a inline protocol data of only 4k bytes. * The actual content is passed in zero-copy fashion. */ req = p9_client_prepare_req(c, type, P9_ZC_HDR_SZ, fmt, ap); and /* size of header for zero copy read/write */ #define P9_ZC_HDR_SZ 4096 A huge msize only makes sense for Twrite, Rread and Rreaddir because of the amount of data they convey. All other messages certainly fit in a couple of kilobytes only (sorry, don't remember the numbers). A first change should be to allocate MIN(XXX, msize) for the regular non-zc case, where XXX could be a reasonable fixed value (8k?). In the case of T messages, it is even possible to adjust the size to what's exactly needed, ala snprintf(NULL). > virtio-blk/scsi don't memcpy data into a new buffer, they > directly access page cache or O_DIRECT pinned pages. > > Stefan Cheers, -- Greg