* Which linux  kernel version should I choose?
@ 2022-01-03 10:19 李弘宇
From: 李弘宇 @ 2022-01-03 10:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rust-for-linux

Hi, I am interested in the rust for Linux project and want to learn about it. But I have encountered some problems with the Linux kernel version.

I want to apply the patchset v2 given in the mail list. I found that the patchset v1 can be applied to Linux kernel v5.13. However, I do not find the correct Linux kernel version for the rust patchset v2. Where can I find this information?

Meanwhile, I wonder whether I can generate a patchset by myself so that I can apply it to a specific kernel version I want. I tried to google this but did not find anything related.

I want to join the Zulip group. My email address is lihongyu@bupt.edu.cn.

Thanks.

* Re: Which linux  kernel version should I choose?
@ 2022-01-03 11:21 ` Wei Liu
From: Wei Liu @ 2022-01-03 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 李弘宇; +Cc: rust-for-linux, Wei Liu

Hi Hongyu,

On Mon, Jan 03, 2022 at 06:19:10PM +0800, 李弘宇 wrote:
> Hi, I am interested in the rust for Linux project and want to learn
> about it. But I have encountered some problems with the Linux kernel
> version.
>
> I want to apply the patchset v2 given in the mail list. I found that
> the patchset v1 can be applied to Linux kernel v5.13. However, I do
> not find the correct Linux kernel version for the rust patchset v2.
> Where can I find this information?
>
> Meanwhile, I wonder whether I can generate a patchset by myself so
> that I can apply it to a specific kernel version I want. I tried to
> google this but did not find anything related.

You can perhaps start by following the instructions on Github.

See https://github.com/Rust-for-Linux/linux/blob/rust/README.md.

Thanks,
Wei.

@ 2022-01-03 11:22   ` Wei Liu
       [not found]     ` <61d51c88.1c69fb81.3b0da.ae02SMTPIN_ADDED_BROKEN@mx.google.com>
From: Wei Liu @ 2022-01-03 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 李弘宇; +Cc: rust-for-linux, Wei Liu

On Mon, Jan 03, 2022 at 11:21:46AM +0000, Wei Liu wrote:
> Hi Hongyu,
>
> On Mon, Jan 03, 2022 at 06:19:10PM +0800, 李弘宇 wrote:
> > Hi, I am interested in the rust for Linux project and want to learn
> > about it. But I have encountered some problems with the Linux kernel
> > version.
> >
> > I want to apply the patchset v2 given in the mail list. I found that
> > the patchset v1 can be applied to Linux kernel v5.13. However, I do
> > not find the correct Linux kernel version for the rust patchset v2.
> > Where can I find this information?
> >
> > Meanwhile, I wonder whether I can generate a patchset by myself so
> > that I can apply it to a specific kernel version I want. I tried to
> > google this but did not find anything related.
> >

> You can perhaps start by following the instructions on Github.
>
> See https://github.com/Rust-for-Linux/linux/blob/rust/README.md.
>
> Thanks,
> Wei.
>
> > I want to join the Zulip group. My email address is
> > lihongyu@bupt.edu.cn.

BTW your email here should be lihongyu1999@bupt.edu.cn, right? That's
the address in the From: field of your email.

Thanks,
Wei.

@ 2022-01-03 16:20 ` Miguel Ojeda
From: Miguel Ojeda @ 2022-01-03 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 李弘宇; +Cc: rust-for-linux

On Mon, Jan 3, 2022 at 3:24 PM 李弘宇 <lihongyu1999@bupt.edu.cn> wrote:

> I want to apply the patchset v2 given in the mail list. I found that the patchset v1 can be applied to Linux kernel v5.13. However, I do not find the correct Linux kernel version for the rust patchset v2. Where can I find this information?

It should apply cleanly to v5.16-rc3. However, for normal development,
I suggest you simply fetch the GitHub repo instead. It gets updated
with mainline changes regularly (e.g. when I notice a conflict).

> Meanwhile, I wonder whether I can generate a patchset by myself so that I can apply it to a specific kernel version I want. I tried to google this but did not find anything related.

You can, of course, apply the patchset to any version you want, but
then you will have to take care of solving any conflicts etc. on your
own.

> I want to join the Zulip group. My email address is lihongyu@bupt.edu.cn.

Do you want it to this one, or the From address? As Wei noticed, they
are different.

Cheers,
Miguel

@ 2022-01-05 13:45       ` Wei Liu
From: Wei Liu @ 2022-01-05 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Li Hongyu; +Cc: Wei Liu, rust-for-linux

On Wed, Jan 05, 2022 at 12:19:56PM +0800, Li Hongyu wrote:
> Hi Wei Liu,
>
> Thanks for your help sincerely. I tried to reply to you the day before
> yesterday. But it seems something goes wrong. The reply email did not show
> in the kernel email list. I am not sure whether you receive my reply. So I
> resend this email. If this bothers you, please do let me know.

No worries. I did get your original reply.

I'm not bothered. There is no need to apologize.

Wei.