* mwifiex 1.0 (16.68.10.p159) - PCIEUSB-8997 firmware is buggy
@ 2021-09-25 17:19 Gérald Kerma
From: Gérald Kerma @ 2021-09-25 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-firmware, Josh Boyer
  Cc: linux-wireless, Ganapathi Bhat, linux-firmware, Cathy Luo,
	James Cao, Prashanth Ranganathan, Rakesh Parmar, Zhiyuan Yang,
	Sharvari Harisangam, Rakesh Parmar, Cathy Luo, pali

Héllo All,

I made some few tests on EspressoBin-Ultra from GlobalScaleTechnologies,
because of problem with the WiFi.

I have done some quick tests on all the firmware of PCIEUSB-8997 using
the pcieuart8997_combo_v4.bin on OpenWrt 21.02.x

Here is a summary of the tests :
- W16.68.10.p159 = KO
- W16.68.1.p195 = KO
- V16.68.1.p145 = OK
- 16.68.1.p140 = OK
- 16.68.1.p133 = OK
- 16.68.1.p97 = OK
- 16.68.1.p70 = KO

REF (and all details of tests) :
https://github.com/NXP/mwifiex-firmware/issues/1

Broken firmware :

Version |W16.68.1.p195| of |pcieusb8997_combo_v4.bin| was included into
linux-firmware repository by this pull request:
https://lore.kernel.org/all/CA+5PVA5yQbjg3vaT7F8120B6ngLn7+sZC0OWt0KoUiQR9hS4FA@mail.gmail.com/
<https://lore.kernel.org/all/CA+5PVA5yQbjg3vaT7F8120B6ngLn7+sZC0OWt0KoUiQR9hS4FA@mail.gmail.com/>

And latest version |W16.68.10.p159| of |pcieusb8997_combo_v4.bin| by
this pull request:
https://lore.kernel.org/linux-firmware/CA+5PVA5on7+CRtEV7tThPxgucwt3W9i-tEXm4cgH-AmMB-Jrtg@mail.gmail.com/
<https://lore.kernel.org/linux-firmware/CA+5PVA5on7+CRtEV7tThPxgucwt3W9i-tEXm4cgH-AmMB-Jrtg@mail.gmail.com/>

Olders looks to works better.

In quick tests, they allow more than 1 clients at a time !

I am still testing the V16.68.1.p145 and report the results after some
longer use...

Hopes it will help...
Regards,
Gérald Kerma
gandalf(at)gk2(dot)net

* Re: mwifiex 1.0 (16.68.10.p159) - PCIEUSB-8997 firmware is buggy
@ 2021-09-25 17:23 ` Gérald Kerma
From: Gérald Kerma @ 2021-09-25 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-firmware, Josh Boyer
  Cc: linux-wireless, Sharvari Harisangam, Rakesh Parmar, Cathy Luo,
	pali, zhiyuan.yang, prashanthkrishnan.ranganathan,
	ganapathi.bhat, zheng.cao, rakesh.parmar, xiaohua.luo

Correcting old marvell address to new nxp...

@ 2021-09-26 10:43   ` Pali Rohár
From: Pali Rohár @ 2021-09-26 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Josh Boyer, Sharvari Harisangam
  Cc: linux-firmware, linux-wireless, Gérald Kerma, Rakesh Parmar,
	Cathy Luo, zhiyuan.yang, prashanthkrishnan.ranganathan,
	Ganapathi Bhat, zheng.cao

Hello Josh, Sharvari and other from NXP!

On Saturday 25 September 2021 19:23:48 Gérald Kerma wrote:
> Correcting old marvell address to new nxp...
>
> Le 25/09/2021 à 19:19, Gérald Kerma a écrit :
> > Héllo All,
> >
> > I made some few tests on EspressoBin-Ultra from GlobalScaleTechnologies,
> > because of problem with the WiFi.
> >
> > I have done some quick tests on all the firmware of PCIEUSB-8997 using
> > the pcieuart8997_combo_v4.bin on OpenWrt 21.02.x
> >
> > Here is a summary of the tests :
> > - W16.68.10.p159 = KO
> > - W16.68.1.p195 = KO
> > - V16.68.1.p145 = OK
> > - 16.68.1.p140 = OK
> > - 16.68.1.p133 = OK
> > - 16.68.1.p97 = OK
> > - 16.68.1.p70 = KO

From this user test result can be seen that last two versions of
pcieusb8997_combo_v4.bin firmware file for 8997 wifi+bt card with
official mainline linux kernel driver mwifiex were not properly tested
internally in NXP and are causing serious issues which make 8997 card
basically unusable.

Sharvari and other NXP developers: Do you have some internal testing of
this pcieusb8997_combo_v4.bin firmware for PCIe+USB variant of 8997
wifi chips? Or are you aware of this issue and do you have in NXP some
workaround for it (e.g. at driver level)? Could you please look at this
serious issue and try to debug firmware and release a new version, as
this is obvious fatal error in firmware itself?

Josh, how you in linux-firmware repository handle such, I must say,
"fatal issues"? Wait for vendor fixes or revert problematic commits? Or
something else?

Because when users starts upgrading linux-firmware packages in their
downstream distributions then basically wifi cards on this 8997 chips
with official mwifiex driver stops working.

> > REF (and all details of tests) :
> > https://github.com/NXP/mwifiex-firmware/issues/1
> >

> > Broken firmware :
> >
> > Version |W16.68.1.p195| of |pcieusb8997_combo_v4.bin| was included into
> > linux-firmware repository by this pull request:
> > https://lore.kernel.org/all/CA+5PVA5yQbjg3vaT7F8120B6ngLn7+sZC0OWt0KoUiQR9hS4FA@mail.gmail.com/
> > <https://lore.kernel.org/all/CA+5PVA5yQbjg3vaT7F8120B6ngLn7+sZC0OWt0KoUiQR9hS4FA@mail.gmail.com/>
> >
> > And latest version |W16.68.10.p159| of |pcieusb8997_combo_v4.bin| by
> > this pull request:
> > https://lore.kernel.org/linux-firmware/CA+5PVA5on7+CRtEV7tThPxgucwt3W9i-tEXm4cgH-AmMB-Jrtg@mail.gmail.com/
> > <https://lore.kernel.org/linux-firmware/CA+5PVA5on7+CRtEV7tThPxgucwt3W9i-tEXm4cgH-AmMB-Jrtg@mail.gmail.com/>
> >
> > Olders looks to works better.
> >
> > In quick tests, they allow more than 1 clients at a time !
> >
> > I am still testing the V16.68.1.p145 and report the results after some
> > longer use...
> >
> > Hopes it will help...
> > Regards,
> > Gérald Kerma
> > gandalf(at)gk2(dot)net

* Re: mwifiex 1.0 (16.68.10.p159) - PCIEUSB-8997 firmware is buggy
@ 2021-09-27 13:47     ` Josh Boyer
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Josh Boyer @ 2021-09-27 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pali Rohár
  Cc: Sharvari Harisangam, Linux Firmware, Linux Wireless,
	Gérald Kerma, Rakesh Parmar, Cathy Luo, Zhiyuan Yang,

On Sun, Sep 26, 2021 at 6:43 AM Pali Rohár <pali@kernel.org> wrote:

> Hello Josh, Sharvari and other from NXP!
>
> On Saturday 25 September 2021 19:23:48 Gérald Kerma wrote:
> > Correcting old marvell address to new nxp...
> >
> > Le 25/09/2021 à 19:19, Gérald Kerma a écrit :
> > > Héllo All,
> > >
> > > I made some few tests on EspressoBin-Ultra from GlobalScaleTechnologies,
> > > because of problem with the WiFi.
> > >
> > > I have done some quick tests on all the firmware of PCIEUSB-8997 using
> > > the pcieuart8997_combo_v4.bin on OpenWrt 21.02.x
> > >
> > > Here is a summary of the tests :
> > > - W16.68.10.p159 = KO
> > > - W16.68.1.p195 = KO
> > > - V16.68.1.p145 = OK
> > > - 16.68.1.p140 = OK
> > > - 16.68.1.p133 = OK
> > > - 16.68.1.p97 = OK
> > > - 16.68.1.p70 = KO
>
> From this user test result can be seen that last two versions of
> pcieusb8997_combo_v4.bin firmware file for 8997 wifi+bt card with
> official mainline linux kernel driver mwifiex were not properly tested
> internally in NXP and are causing serious issues which make 8997 card
> basically unusable.
>
> Sharvari and other NXP developers: Do you have some internal testing of
> this pcieusb8997_combo_v4.bin firmware for PCIe+USB variant of 8997
> wifi chips? Or are you aware of this issue and do you have in NXP some
> workaround for it (e.g. at driver level)? Could you please look at this
> serious issue and try to debug firmware and release a new version, as
> this is obvious fatal error in firmware itself?
>
> Josh, how you in linux-firmware repository handle such, I must say,
> "fatal issues"? Wait for vendor fixes or revert problematic commits? Or
> something else?

We can revert if we need to, but I think it's not quite that simple.

> Because when users starts upgrading linux-firmware packages in their
> downstream distributions then basically wifi cards on this 8997 chips
> with official mwifiex driver stops working.

The first broken version was committed in Feb of 2019.  That's
approaching 3 years ago.  Given that this is binary firmware, I have
no idea what else may or may not be included in the updates in the
meantime.

josh

@ 2021-09-28 11:26       ` Gérald Kerma
From: Gérald Kerma @ 2021-09-28 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux Wireless, Linux Firmware
  Cc: Sharvari Harisangam, Rakesh Parmar, Cathy Luo, Zhiyuan Yang,
	prashanthkrishnan.ranganathan, Ganapathi Bhat, zheng.cao,
	Pali Rohár, Josh Boyer

Héllo all,

A quick reply, just to correct a mistype sentence about the issue !

Le 27/09/2021 à 15:47, Josh Boyer a écrit :
> On Sun, Sep 26, 2021 at 6:43 AM Pali Rohár <pali@kernel.org> wrote:
>> Hello Josh, Sharvari and other from NXP!
>>
>> On Saturday 25 September 2021 19:23:48 Gérald Kerma wrote:
>>> Correcting old marvell address to new nxp...

>> From this user test result can be seen that last two versions of
>> pcieusb8997_combo_v4.bin firmware file for 8997 wifi+bt card with
>> official mainline linux kernel driver mwifiex were not properly tested
>> internally in NXP and are causing serious issues which make 8997 card
>> basically unusable.
>>
>> Sharvari and other NXP developers: Do you have some internal testing of
>> this pcieusb8997_combo_v4.bin firmware for PCIe+USB variant of 8997
>> wifi chips? Or are you aware of this issue and do you have in NXP some
>> workaround for it (e.g. at driver level)? Could you please look at this
>> serious issue and try to debug firmware and release a new version, as
>> this is obvious fatal error in firmware itself?
>>
>> Josh, how you in linux-firmware repository handle such, I must say,
>> "fatal issues"? Wait for vendor fixes or revert problematic commits? Or
>> something else?
> We can revert if we need to, but I think it's not quite that simple.
>
>> Because when users starts upgrading linux-firmware packages in their
>> downstream distributions then basically wifi cards on this 8997 chips
>> with official mwifiex driver stops working.
> The first broken version was committed in Feb of 2019.  That's
> approaching 3 years ago.  Given that this is binary firmware, I have
> no idea what else may or may not be included in the updates in the
> meantime.
>
> josh

In quick tests, they do *NOT* allow more than only 1 client at a time !

Gérald

* Re: mwifiex 1.0 (16.68.10.p159) - PCIEUSB-8997 firmware is buggy
@ 2021-09-28 11:30         ` Gérald Kerma
From: Gérald Kerma @ 2021-09-28 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux Wireless, Linux Firmware
  Cc: Sharvari Harisangam, Rakesh Parmar, Cathy Luo,
	prashanthkrishnan.ranganathan, Ganapathi Bhat, zheng.cao,
	Pali Rohár, Josh Boyer

To be more correct :
older firmware allow more than 1 client at a time !
The two latest do not allow more than 1 client at a time...

Regards,
Gérald

@ 2021-10-09 11:07       ` Pali Rohár
From: Pali Rohár @ 2021-10-09 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Josh Boyer
  Cc: Sharvari Harisangam, Linux Firmware, Linux Wireless,

On Monday 27 September 2021 09:47:23 Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 26, 2021 at 6:43 AM Pali Rohár <pali@kernel.org> wrote:
> >
> > Hello Josh, Sharvari and other from NXP!
> >
> > On Saturday 25 September 2021 19:23:48 Gérald Kerma wrote:
> > > Correcting old marvell address to new nxp...

> > From this user test result can be seen that last two versions of
> > pcieusb8997_combo_v4.bin firmware file for 8997 wifi+bt card with
> > official mainline linux kernel driver mwifiex were not properly tested
> > internally in NXP and are causing serious issues which make 8997 card
> > basically unusable.
> >
> > Sharvari and other NXP developers: Do you have some internal testing of
> > this pcieusb8997_combo_v4.bin firmware for PCIe+USB variant of 8997
> > wifi chips? Or are you aware of this issue and do you have in NXP some
> > workaround for it (e.g. at driver level)? Could you please look at this
> > serious issue and try to debug firmware and release a new version, as
> > this is obvious fatal error in firmware itself?
> >
> > Josh, how you in linux-firmware repository handle such, I must say,
> > "fatal issues"? Wait for vendor fixes or revert problematic commits? Or
> > something else?
>
> We can revert if we need to, but I think it's not quite that simple.
>
> > Because when users starts upgrading linux-firmware packages in their
> > downstream distributions then basically wifi cards on this 8997 chips
> > with official mwifiex driver stops working.
>
> The first broken version was committed in Feb of 2019.  That's
> approaching 3 years ago.  Given that this is binary firmware, I have
> no idea what else may or may not be included in the updates in the
> meantime.
>
> josh

Josh, do you have any contact in NXP? Because I really do no know how to
get some information about this issue and seems that everything related
to these firmware issues makes just big silence.

@ 2021-10-09 12:36         ` Josh Boyer
From: Josh Boyer @ 2021-10-09 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pali Rohár
  Cc: Josh Boyer, Sharvari Harisangam, Linux Firmware, Linux Wireless,

On Sat, Oct 9, 2021 at 7:07 AM Pali Rohár <pali@kernel.org> wrote:

> On Monday 27 September 2021 09:47:23 Josh Boyer wrote:
> > On Sun, Sep 26, 2021 at 6:43 AM Pali Rohár <pali@kernel.org> wrote:

> > > From this user test result can be seen that last two versions of
> > > pcieusb8997_combo_v4.bin firmware file for 8997 wifi+bt card with
> > > official mainline linux kernel driver mwifiex were not properly tested
> > > internally in NXP and are causing serious issues which make 8997 card
> > > basically unusable.
> > >
> > > Sharvari and other NXP developers: Do you have some internal testing of
> > > this pcieusb8997_combo_v4.bin firmware for PCIe+USB variant of 8997
> > > wifi chips? Or are you aware of this issue and do you have in NXP some
> > > workaround for it (e.g. at driver level)? Could you please look at this
> > > serious issue and try to debug firmware and release a new version, as
> > > this is obvious fatal error in firmware itself?
> > >
> > > Josh, how you in linux-firmware repository handle such, I must say,
> > > "fatal issues"? Wait for vendor fixes or revert problematic commits? Or
> > > something else?
> >
> > We can revert if we need to, but I think it's not quite that simple.
> >
> > > Because when users starts upgrading linux-firmware packages in their
> > > downstream distributions then basically wifi cards on this 8997 chips
> > > with official mwifiex driver stops working.
> >
> > The first broken version was committed in Feb of 2019.  That's
> > approaching 3 years ago.  Given that this is binary firmware, I have
> > no idea what else may or may not be included in the updates in the
> > meantime.
> >
> > josh
>
> Josh, do you have any contact in NXP? Because I really do no know how to
> get some information about this issue and seems that everything related
> to these firmware issues makes just big silence.

I do not.

josh

@ 2021-10-09 12:45           ` Pali Rohár
From: Pali Rohár @ 2021-10-09 12:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sharvari Harisangam, Rakesh Parmar, Cathy Luo,
	prashanthkrishnan.ranganathan, zheng.cao
  Cc: Linux Firmware, Linux Wireless, Gérald Kerma, Ganapathi Bhat

Sharvari, Rakesh, Cathy, Zheng: could you please look at this issue?
NXP sent firmware to linux-firmware repository which does not work and
it is causing issues to users.

@ 2022-01-14 17:00       ` Pali Rohár
From: Pali Rohár @ 2022-01-14 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sharvari Harisangam, Rakesh Parmar, Cathy Luo,
	prashanthkrishnan.ranganathan, zheng.cao
  Cc: Linux Firmware, Linux Wireless, Gérald Kerma,
	Ganapathi Bhat, Josh Boyer

NXP people: Sharvari, Rakesh, Cathy, Zheng: could you please look at
this issue? It is really serous!

On Monday 27 September 2021 09:47:23 Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 26, 2021 at 6:43 AM Pali Rohár <pali@kernel.org> wrote:
> >
> > Hello Josh, Sharvari and other from NXP!
> >
> > On Saturday 25 September 2021 19:23:48 Gérald Kerma wrote:
> > > Correcting old marvell address to new nxp...

> > From this user test result can be seen that last two versions of
> > pcieusb8997_combo_v4.bin firmware file for 8997 wifi+bt card with
> > official mainline linux kernel driver mwifiex were not properly tested
> > internally in NXP and are causing serious issues which make 8997 card
> > basically unusable.
> >
> > Sharvari and other NXP developers: Do you have some internal testing of
> > this pcieusb8997_combo_v4.bin firmware for PCIe+USB variant of 8997
> > wifi chips? Or are you aware of this issue and do you have in NXP some
> > workaround for it (e.g. at driver level)? Could you please look at this
> > serious issue and try to debug firmware and release a new version, as
> > this is obvious fatal error in firmware itself?
> >
> > Josh, how you in linux-firmware repository handle such, I must say,
> > "fatal issues"? Wait for vendor fixes or revert problematic commits? Or
> > something else?
>
> We can revert if we need to, but I think it's not quite that simple.
>
> > Because when users starts upgrading linux-firmware packages in their
> > downstream distributions then basically wifi cards on this 8997 chips
> > with official mwifiex driver stops working.
>
> The first broken version was committed in Feb of 2019.  That's
> approaching 3 years ago.  Given that this is binary firmware, I have
> no idea what else may or may not be included in the updates in the
> meantime.
>
> josh

Josh, as Gérald wrote, current binary in linux-firmware repository is
unusable. And there is no reply from NXP for 3 months.

You are right that nobody knows what is in firmware binary, but working
binary is at least usable than non-working binary.

So I would really suggest to start reverting non-working firmware files
if NXP does not respond in few days.

Gérald, what is your opinion? Do you see other way how to make mainline
linux driver work (again)?

* Re: [EXT] Re: mwifiex 1.0 (16.68.10.p159) - PCIEUSB-8997 firmware is buggy
@ 2022-01-14 17:11         ` Prashanth Ranganathan
From: Prashanth Ranganathan @ 2022-01-14 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pali Rohár, Sharvari Harisangam, Rakesh Parmar, Cathy Luo,
	James Cao
  Cc: Linux Firmware, Linux Wireless, Gérald Kerma,
	Ganapathi Bhat, Josh Boyer

Hi Pali,
Please allow me to check this and respond ASAP.
Best,
Prashanth
________________________________

@ 2022-01-14 18:32         ` Gérald Kerma
From: Gérald Kerma @ 2022-01-14 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pali Rohár, Sharvari Harisangam, Rakesh Parmar, Cathy Luo,
	prashanthkrishnan.ranganathan, zheng.cao
  Cc: Linux Firmware, Linux Wireless, Ganapathi Bhat, Josh Boyer

Héllo all,

Thanks again Pali to get this been up again...

Le 14/01/2022 à 18:00, Pali Rohár a écrit :
> NXP people: Sharvari, Rakesh, Cathy, Zheng: could you please look at
> this issue? It is really serous!
>
> On Monday 27 September 2021 09:47:23 Josh Boyer wrote:
>> On Sun, Sep 26, 2021 at 6:43 AM Pali Rohár <pali@kernel.org> wrote:

>>>  From this user test result can be seen that last two versions of
>>> pcieusb8997_combo_v4.bin firmware file for 8997 wifi+bt card with
>>> official mainline linux kernel driver mwifiex were not properly tested
>>> internally in NXP and are causing serious issues which make 8997 card
>>> basically unusable.
>>>
>>> Sharvari and other NXP developers: Do you have some internal testing of
>>> this pcieusb8997_combo_v4.bin firmware for PCIe+USB variant of 8997
>>> wifi chips? Or are you aware of this issue and do you have in NXP some
>>> workaround for it (e.g. at driver level)? Could you please look at this
>>> serious issue and try to debug firmware and release a new version, as
>>> this is obvious fatal error in firmware itself?
>>>
>>> Josh, how you in linux-firmware repository handle such, I must say,
>>> "fatal issues"? Wait for vendor fixes or revert problematic commits? Or
>>> something else?
>> We can revert if we need to, but I think it's not quite that simple.
>>
>>> Because when users starts upgrading linux-firmware packages in their
>>> downstream distributions then basically wifi cards on this 8997 chips
>>> with official mwifiex driver stops working.
>> The first broken version was committed in Feb of 2019.  That's
>> approaching 3 years ago.  Given that this is binary firmware, I have
>> no idea what else may or may not be included in the updates in the
>> meantime.
>>
>> josh
> Josh, as Gérald wrote, current binary in linux-firmware repository is
> unusable. And there is no reply from NXP for 3 months.
>
> You are right that nobody knows what is in firmware binary, but working
> binary is at least usable than non-working binary.
>
> So I would really suggest to start reverting non-working firmware files
> if NXP does not respond in few days.
>
> Gérald, what is your opinion? Do you see other way how to make mainline
> linux driver work (again)?

I am really lost on this, Marvell do not answer at all.
NXP give me some buggy answer, no NDA possible with me and my own company...
No share about any works already public !
So my only proposal will be poor !

May be we can confirm my own test by some other technical testers and
look to get the less buggy, because they all, more or less, again to the
mainline !

@ 2022-01-20 19:30           ` Pali Rohár
From: Pali Rohár @ 2022-01-20 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Prashanth Ranganathan
  Cc: Sharvari Harisangam, Rakesh Parmar, Cathy Luo, James Cao,
	Linux Firmware, Linux Wireless, Gérald Kerma,
	Ganapathi Bhat, Josh Boyer

Hello Prashanth!

Thank you for reply. Did you have a time to check this issue?

Gérald did a great testing which shows that version W16.68.1.p195 and
higher of pcieuart8997_combo_v4.bin firmware does not work.

@ 2022-01-26 23:28             ` James Cao
From: James Cao @ 2022-01-26 23:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pali Rohár, Prashanth Ranganathan
  Cc: Sharvari Harisangam, Rakesh Parmar, Cathy Luo, Linux Firmware,
	Linux Wireless, Gérald Kerma, Josh Boyer

Hi Pali,

NXP doesn't have a plan to support mwifiex driver anymore. How should we handle this kind of retired project in upstream?

Thanks,
James

________________________________

@ 2022-01-27  1:13               ` Gérald Kerma
From: Gérald Kerma @ 2022-01-27  1:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Cao
  Cc: Pali Rohár, Prashanth Ranganathan, Sharvari Harisangam,
	Rakesh Parmar, Cathy Luo, Linux Firmware, Linux Wireless,
	Josh Boyer

Héllo James,

Was it only ever supported ?

May be NXP can free and share the firmware source to the community, and let anyone who care try to debug it ?

As far as my tests shown, the mwifiex driver never has work correctly, and none version is sufficiently stable to be state as working.

Please, NXP, take cares of your end clients !
Be simple, be smart, be respectuous, give us the source…

Thanks in advance,
Gérald Kerma

[%]<\@~{

@ 2022-01-27 12:15               ` Pali Rohár
From: Pali Rohár @ 2022-01-27 12:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Cao
  Cc: Prashanth Ranganathan, Sharvari Harisangam, Rakesh Parmar,
	Cathy Luo, Linux Firmware, Linux Wireless, Gérald Kerma,
	Josh Boyer

Hello James!

Thank you for reply, but this is something which we did not want to hear :-(

There is an issue in the latest pcieuart8997_combo_v4.bin firmware file
which NXP sent to linux-firmware repository and it is really needed to
fix this issue. It was sent by NXP, so it is expected that NXP do it.
And because it is binary-only file, people outside of NXP cannot do it.

Would you be able to look at this firmware issue as the last thing?

Or as Gérald wrote, could NXP provide source code of that firmware? So
people outside of NXP could look at it? If firmware requires signing NDA
(either individually or via company), then some professional skilled
kernel developers can do it.

@ 2022-01-27 14:50                 ` Gérald Kerma
From: Gérald Kerma @ 2022-01-27 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pali Rohár, James Cao
  Cc: Prashanth Ranganathan, Sharvari Harisangam, Rakesh Parmar,
	Cathy Luo, Linux Firmware, Linux Wireless, Josh Boyer

Héllo James,

As Pali wrote, if fimrware requires signing NDA, I can propose my own
collaboration to NXP !

I am still okay to help, in anyway, with testing or more...
Please, feel free to contact me.

Gérald Kerma
CyberMind.FR
gandalf(at)gk2(dot)net
00.33.651.27.66.88

PS: I add my answer which was lost for some of the CC... (sorry)...

Le 27/01/2022 à 02:13, Gérald Kerma a écrit :
 > Héllo James,
 >
 > Was it only ever supported ?
 >
 > May be NXP can free and share the firmware source to the community,
and let anyone who care try to debug it ?

 > As far as my tests shown, the mwifiex driver never has work
correctly, and none version is sufficiently stable to be state as working.

 > Please, NXP, take cares of your end clients !
 > Be simple, be smart, be respectuous, give us the source…
 >
 > Thanks in advance,
 > Gérald Kerma
 >
 > [%]<\@~{
> On Wednesday 26 January 2022 23:28:48 James Cao wrote:
>> Hi Pali,
>>
>> NXP doesn't have a plan to support mwifiex driver anymore. How should we handle this kind of retired project in upstream?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> James
>>
>> ________________________________

>>> Prashanth

@ 2022-01-28  0:58                   ` James Cao
From: James Cao @ 2022-01-28  0:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gérald Kerma, Pali Rohár
  Cc: Prashanth Ranganathan, Sharvari Harisangam, Rakesh Parmar,
	Cathy Luo, Linux Firmware, Linux Wireless, Josh Boyer

Hi Gérald, Pali,

For NXP Wi-Fi/BT FW, we only have binary release, which is under proprietary license.

Regarding the issue, which kind of adapter (PCIe-USB or PCIe-UART) did you use? Suppose PCIe-USB/PCIe-UART FW may not work on PCIe-UART/PCIe-USB board. What's the failure symptom?

Thanks,
James

________________________________
As Pali wrote, if fimrware requires signing NDA, I can propose my own
collaboration to NXP !

I am still okay to help, in anyway, with testing or more...
Please, feel free to contact me.

Gérald Kerma
CyberMind.FR
gandalf(at)gk2(dot)net
00.33.651.27.66.88

PS: I add my answer which was lost for some of the CC... (sorry)...

Le 27/01/2022 à 13:15, Pali Rohár a écrit :
> Hello James!
>
> Thank you for reply, but this is something which we did not want to hear :-(
>
> There is an issue in the latest pcieuart8997_combo_v4.bin firmware file
> which NXP sent to linux-firmware repository and it is really needed to
> fix this issue. It was sent by NXP, so it is expected that NXP do it.
> And because it is binary-only file, people outside of NXP cannot do it.
>
> Would you be able to look at this firmware issue as the last thing?
>
> Or as Gérald wrote, could NXP provide source code of that firmware? So
> people outside of NXP could look at it? If firmware requires signing NDA
> (either individually or via company), then some professional skilled
> kernel developers can do it.
Le 27/01/2022 à 02:13, Gérald Kerma a écrit :
 > Héllo James,
 >
 > Was it only ever supported ?
 >
 > May be NXP can free and share the firmware source to the community,
and let anyone who care try to debug it ?

 > As far as my tests shown, the mwifiex driver never has work
correctly, and none version is sufficiently stable to be state as working.

 > Please, NXP, take cares of your end clients !
 > Be simple, be smart, be respectuous, give us the source…
 >
 > Thanks in advance,
 > Gérald Kerma
 >
 > [%]<\@~{
> On Wednesday 26 January 2022 23:28:48 James Cao wrote:
>> Hi Pali,
>>
>> NXP doesn't have a plan to support mwifiex driver anymore. How should we handle this kind of retired project in upstream?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> James
>>
>> ________________________________

>>> Prashanth

@ 2022-01-28  8:12                     ` Gérald Kerma
From: Gérald Kerma @ 2022-01-28  8:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Cao, Pali Rohár
  Cc: Prashanth Ranganathan, Sharvari Harisangam, Rakesh Parmar,
	Cathy Luo, Linux Firmware, Linux Wireless, Josh Boyer

Héllo James,

So bad to hear from no source possible !
About binaries, I cannot get the latest published one from NXP.
The support answer me I need a NDA.
The support then refuse my proposal of NDA !
I may understand proprietary license, but as a user, I cannot get
nothing at all !

Regarding the issue, you can see the full details of my tests, and I
just edit to add a brief summary at the first comment of the following
issue:
https://github.com/NXP/mwifiex-firmware/issues/1

Please, look at it.
It is full detailed.
If anything missing, please, ask what you need.

Regards,
Gérald Kerma
CyberMind.FR

@ 2022-02-11 11:28                     ` Pali Rohár
From: Pali Rohár @ 2022-02-11 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Cao
  Cc: Gérald Kerma, Prashanth Ranganathan, Sharvari Harisangam,
	Rakesh Parmar, Cathy Luo, Linux Firmware, Linux Wireless,
	Josh Boyer

Hello James!

The issue which Gérald observing is that firmware version W16.68.1.p195
or new is unable to start access point on PCIe-USB 8997.

As Gérald wrote in that NXP ticket on github, error message is
following:

[56066.999853] mwifiex_pcie 0000:01:00.0: CMD_RESP: cmd 0xb1 error, result=0x1
[56067.007152] mwifiex_pcie 0000:01:00.0: Failed to start the BSS
[56067.013195] mwifiex_pcie 0000:01:00.0: Failed to start AP

Older firmware versions (e.g. V16.68.1.p145) are working fine.

James, do you need some more information?

Pali