* [virtio-dev] spec inconsistency: Device Configuration Interrupt bit in ISR status
@ 2022-01-14 13:39 Michael S. Tsirkin
From: Michael S. Tsirkin @ 2022-01-14 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: virtio-comment, virtio-dev, Zhu, Lingshan; +Cc: jasowang

The spec says (v1.1 4.1.4.5 ISR status capability):

The VIRTIO_PCI_CAP_ISR_CFG capability refers to at least a single byte, which contains the 8­bit ISR
status field to be used for INT#x interrupt handling.

and

to avoid an extra access, simply reading this register resets it to 0 and causes the device to de­assert the
interrupt.
In this way, driver read of ISR status causes the device to de­assert an interrupt.

See sections 4.1.5.3 and 4.1.5.4 for how this is used.

and in 4.1.5.4 Notification of Device Configuration Changes

it says:

• If MSI­X capability is disabled:
1. Set the second lower bit of the ISR Status field for the device.
2. Send the appropriate PCI interrupt for the device.

If MSI­X capability is enabled:
1. If config_msix_vector is not NO_VECTOR, request the appropriate MSI­X interrupt message for
the device, config_msix_vector sets the MSI­X Table entry number.

all of the above make it looks like VIRTIO_PCI_CAP_ISR_CFG capability is
unused with MSIX.

This was actually the way the spec was understood by
Zhu Lingshan from Intel (Cc'd).

However, looking at the conformance statements, one finds out this is
not the case:

4.1.4.5.1 Device Requirements: ISR status capability

The device MUST present at least one VIRTIO_PCI_CAP_ISR_CFG capability.
The device MUST set the Device Configuration Interrupt bit in ISR status before sending a device configu­
ration change notification to the driver.
If MSI­X capability is disabled, the device MUST set the Queue Interrupt bit in ISR status before sending a
virtqueue notification to the driver.

which implies that the Device Configuration Interrupt bit is set unconditionally.

It is unfortunate that it does not copy this requirement in more places,
and that the non-conformance text is incomplete and does not
mention the MSI-X usage at all.

I propose to extend 4.1.4.5 ISR status capability and
4.1.5.4 Notification of Device Configuration Changes
to mention the MSI use.

--
MST

* [virtio-comment] Re: [virtio-dev] spec inconsistency: Device Configuration Interrupt bit in ISR status
@ 2022-01-14 16:33 ` Cornelia Huck
From: Cornelia Huck @ 2022-01-14 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael S. Tsirkin, virtio-comment, virtio-dev, Zhu, Lingshan; +Cc: jasowang

On Fri, Jan 14 2022, "Michael S. Tsirkin" <mst@redhat.com> wrote:

> It is unfortunate that it does not copy this requirement in more places,
> and that the non-conformance text is incomplete and does not
> mention the MSI-X usage at all.
>
> I propose to extend 4.1.4.5 ISR status capability and
> 4.1.5.4 Notification of Device Configuration Changes
> to mention the MSI use.

I agree that it would make sense to be more explicit, especially if
people have already fallen into this trap.

My main question is: do we still have time to do this for 1.2? By the
proposed timeline, we need to have a vote open by Jan 17th (next
Monday), which is cutting it awfully close.

[We seem to have quite some last minute stuff, sigh.]

This publicly archived list offers a means to provide input to the
OASIS Virtual I/O Device (VIRTIO) TC.

In order to verify user consent to the Feedback License terms and
to minimize spam in the list archive, subscription is required
before posting.

Subscribe: virtio-comment-subscribe@lists.oasis-open.org
Feedback License: https://www.oasis-open.org/who/ipr/feedback_license.pdf
Committee: https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/virtio/
Join OASIS: https://www.oasis-open.org/join/

* Re: [virtio-dev] spec inconsistency: Device Configuration Interrupt bit in ISR status
@ 2022-01-14 18:18   ` Michael S. Tsirkin
From: Michael S. Tsirkin @ 2022-01-14 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cornelia Huck; +Cc: virtio-comment, virtio-dev, Zhu, Lingshan, jasowang

On Fri, Jan 14, 2022 at 05:33:58PM +0100, Cornelia Huck wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 14 2022, "Michael S. Tsirkin" <mst@redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > It is unfortunate that it does not copy this requirement in more places,
> > and that the non-conformance text is incomplete and does not
> > mention the MSI-X usage at all.
> >
> > I propose to extend 4.1.4.5 ISR status capability and
> > 4.1.5.4 Notification of Device Configuration Changes
> > to mention the MSI use.
>
> I agree that it would make sense to be more explicit, especially if
> people have already fallen into this trap.
>
> My main question is: do we still have time to do this for 1.2? By the
> proposed timeline, we need to have a vote open by Jan 17th (next
> Monday), which is cutting it awfully close.
>
> [We seem to have quite some last minute stuff, sigh.]

I think the main thing is not to have regressions. This is hardly
one, it's been like this for years. So if no vote by Monday
we just defer.

--
MST

* [virtio-comment] Re: spec inconsistency: Device Configuration Interrupt bit in ISR status
@ 2022-01-17  6:15 ` Jason Wang
From: Jason Wang @ 2022-01-17  6:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael S. Tsirkin, virtio-comment, virtio-dev, Zhu, Lingshan

在 2022/1/14 下午9:39, Michael S. Tsirkin 写道:
> The spec says (v1.1 4.1.4.5 ISR status capability):
>
> The VIRTIO_PCI_CAP_ISR_CFG capability refers to at least a single byte, which contains the 8­bit ISR
> status field to be used for INT#x interrupt handling.
>
> and
>
> to avoid an extra access, simply reading this register resets it to 0 and causes the device to de­assert the
> interrupt.
> In this way, driver read of ISR status causes the device to de­assert an interrupt.
>
> See sections 4.1.5.3 and 4.1.5.4 for how this is used.
>
> and in 4.1.5.4 Notification of Device Configuration Changes
>
> it says:
>
> • If MSI­X capability is disabled:
> 1. Set the second lower bit of the ISR Status field for the device.
> 2. Send the appropriate PCI interrupt for the device.
>
> If MSI­X capability is enabled:
> 1. If config_msix_vector is not NO_VECTOR, request the appropriate MSI­X interrupt message for
> the device, config_msix_vector sets the MSI­X Table entry number.
>
> all of the above make it looks like VIRTIO_PCI_CAP_ISR_CFG capability is
> unused with MSIX.
>
> This was actually the way the spec was understood by
> Zhu Lingshan from Intel (Cc'd).
>
> However, looking at the conformance statements, one finds out this is
> not the case:
>
> 4.1.4.5.1 Device Requirements: ISR status capability
>

> The device MUST present at least one VIRTIO_PCI_CAP_ISR_CFG capability.
> The device MUST set the Device Configuration Interrupt bit in ISR status before sending a device configu­
> ration change notification to the driver.
> If MSI­X capability is disabled, the device MUST set the Queue Interrupt bit in ISR status before sending a
> virtqueue notification to the driver.
>
> which implies that the Device Configuration Interrupt bit is set unconditionally.
>

> It is unfortunate that it does not copy this requirement in more places,
> and that the non-conformance text is incomplete and does not
> mention the MSI-X usage at all.
>
> I propose to extend 4.1.4.5 ISR status capability and
> 4.1.5.4 Notification of Device Configuration Changes
> to mention the MSI use.

I wonder do we want

1) mandate ISR bit

or

2) remove the ISR bit set for MSI mode?

1) is the current Qemu behavior but seems a little bit contradict with
the goal of MSI.

Thanks

This publicly archived list offers a means to provide input to the
OASIS Virtual I/O Device (VIRTIO) TC.

In order to verify user consent to the Feedback License terms and
to minimize spam in the list archive, subscription is required
before posting.

Subscribe: virtio-comment-subscribe@lists.oasis-open.org
Feedback License: https://www.oasis-open.org/who/ipr/feedback_license.pdf
Committee: https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/virtio/
Join OASIS: https://www.oasis-open.org/join/

* [virtio-dev] Re: spec inconsistency: Device Configuration Interrupt bit in ISR status
@ 2022-01-17  7:57   ` Michael S. Tsirkin
From: Michael S. Tsirkin @ 2022-01-17  7:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Wang; +Cc: virtio-comment, virtio-dev, Zhu, Lingshan

On Mon, Jan 17, 2022 at 02:15:55PM +0800, Jason Wang wrote:

> 在 2022/1/14 下午9:39, Michael S. Tsirkin 写道:
> > The spec says (v1.1 4.1.4.5 ISR status capability):
> >
> > The VIRTIO_PCI_CAP_ISR_CFG capability refers to at least a single byte, which contains the 8­bit ISR
> > status field to be used for INT#x interrupt handling.
> >
> > and
> >
> > to avoid an extra access, simply reading this register resets it to 0 and causes the device to de­assert the
> > interrupt.
> > In this way, driver read of ISR status causes the device to de­assert an interrupt.
> >
> > See sections 4.1.5.3 and 4.1.5.4 for how this is used.
> >
> > and in 4.1.5.4 Notification of Device Configuration Changes
> >
> > it says:
> >
> > • If MSI­X capability is disabled:
> > 1. Set the second lower bit of the ISR Status field for the device.
> > 2. Send the appropriate PCI interrupt for the device.
> >
> > If MSI­X capability is enabled:
> > 1. If config_msix_vector is not NO_VECTOR, request the appropriate MSI­X interrupt message for
> > the device, config_msix_vector sets the MSI­X Table entry number.
> >
> > all of the above make it looks like VIRTIO_PCI_CAP_ISR_CFG capability is
> > unused with MSIX.
> >
> > This was actually the way the spec was understood by
> > Zhu Lingshan from Intel (Cc'd).
> >
> > However, looking at the conformance statements, one finds out this is
> > not the case:
> >
> > 4.1.4.5.1 Device Requirements: ISR status capability
> >

> > The device MUST present at least one VIRTIO_PCI_CAP_ISR_CFG capability.
> > The device MUST set the Device Configuration Interrupt bit in ISR status before sending a device configu­
> > ration change notification to the driver.
> > If MSI­X capability is disabled, the device MUST set the Queue Interrupt bit in ISR status before sending a
> > virtqueue notification to the driver.
> >
> > which implies that the Device Configuration Interrupt bit is set unconditionally.
> >

> > It is unfortunate that it does not copy this requirement in more places,
> > and that the non-conformance text is incomplete and does not
> > mention the MSI-X usage at all.
> >
> > I propose to extend 4.1.4.5 ISR status capability and
> > 4.1.5.4 Notification of Device Configuration Changes
> > to mention the MSI use.
>

> I wonder do we want
>
> 1) mandate ISR bit
>
> or
>
> 2) remove the ISR bit set for MSI mode?
>
> 1) is the current Qemu behavior but seems a little bit contradict with the
> goal of MSI.
>
> Thanks

I think we want the ISR bit since otherwise we need to go read
a ton of config space fields to check whether anything changed.

--

@ 2022-01-18  3:01     ` Jason Wang
       [not found]       ` <e694e330-82a0-53c2-36b8-7d25885e4a97@intel.com>
From: Jason Wang @ 2022-01-18  3:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael S. Tsirkin; +Cc: virtio-comment, Virtio-Dev, Zhu, Lingshan

On Mon, Jan 17, 2022 at 3:57 PM Michael S. Tsirkin <mst@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 17, 2022 at 02:15:55PM +0800, Jason Wang wrote:
> >
> > 在 2022/1/14 下午9:39, Michael S. Tsirkin 写道:
> > > The spec says (v1.1 4.1.4.5 ISR status capability):
> > >
> > > The VIRTIO_PCI_CAP_ISR_CFG capability refers to at least a single byte, which contains the 8­bit ISR
> > > status field to be used for INT#x interrupt handling.
> > >
> > > and
> > >
> > > to avoid an extra access, simply reading this register resets it to 0 and causes the device to de­assert the
> > > interrupt.
> > > In this way, driver read of ISR status causes the device to de­assert an interrupt.
> > >
> > > See sections 4.1.5.3 and 4.1.5.4 for how this is used.
> > >
> > > and in 4.1.5.4 Notification of Device Configuration Changes
> > >
> > > it says:
> > >
> > > • If MSI­X capability is disabled:
> > > 1. Set the second lower bit of the ISR Status field for the device.
> > > 2. Send the appropriate PCI interrupt for the device.
> > >
> > > If MSI­X capability is enabled:
> > > 1. If config_msix_vector is not NO_VECTOR, request the appropriate MSI­X interrupt message for
> > > the device, config_msix_vector sets the MSI­X Table entry number.
> > >
> > > all of the above make it looks like VIRTIO_PCI_CAP_ISR_CFG capability is
> > > unused with MSIX.
> > >
> > > This was actually the way the spec was understood by
> > > Zhu Lingshan from Intel (Cc'd).
> > >
> > > However, looking at the conformance statements, one finds out this is
> > > not the case:
> > >
> > > 4.1.4.5.1 Device Requirements: ISR status capability
> > >

> > > The device MUST present at least one VIRTIO_PCI_CAP_ISR_CFG capability.
> > > The device MUST set the Device Configuration Interrupt bit in ISR status before sending a device configu­
> > > ration change notification to the driver.
> > > If MSI­X capability is disabled, the device MUST set the Queue Interrupt bit in ISR status before sending a
> > > virtqueue notification to the driver.
> > >
> > > which implies that the Device Configuration Interrupt bit is set unconditionally.
> > >

> > > It is unfortunate that it does not copy this requirement in more places,
> > > and that the non-conformance text is incomplete and does not
> > > mention the MSI-X usage at all.
> > >
> > > I propose to extend 4.1.4.5 ISR status capability and
> > > 4.1.5.4 Notification of Device Configuration Changes
> > > to mention the MSI use.
> >

> > I wonder do we want
> >
> > 1) mandate ISR bit
> >
> > or
> >
> > 2) remove the ISR bit set for MSI mode?
> >
> > 1) is the current Qemu behavior but seems a little bit contradict with the
> > goal of MSI.
> >
> > Thanks
> >

> I think we want the ISR bit

This means there's no chance to use fast irq path but since it's a
less frequent operation. It should be fine.

Thanks

@ 2022-01-18  3:21         ` Jason Wang
From: Jason Wang @ 2022-01-18  3:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zhu, Lingshan, Michael S. Tsirkin; +Cc: virtio-comment, Virtio-Dev

在 2022/1/18 上午11:12, Zhu, Lingshan 写道:

> On 1/18/2022 11:01 AM, Jason Wang wrote:

> I agree to expand ISR cap usage to MSI(MSIX) usage with clear
> descriptions,
> and remove the limitations to MSIX. E.g,:
> 4.1.4.5.2 Driver Requirements: ISR status capability
> If MSI-X capability is enabled, the driver SHOULD NOT access ISR
> status upon detecting a Queue Interrupt.

I guess the idea is only for config MSI not for queue. Otherwise it
would be hard to implement fast irq injection.

Thanks

@ 2022-01-18  6:25         ` Michael S. Tsirkin
From: Michael S. Tsirkin @ 2022-01-18  6:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zhu, Lingshan; +Cc: Jason Wang, virtio-comment, Virtio-Dev

On Tue, Jan 18, 2022 at 11:12:43AM +0800, Zhu, Lingshan wrote:

> On 1/18/2022 11:01 AM, Jason Wang wrote:
>
>     On Mon, Jan 17, 2022 at 3:57 PM Michael S. Tsirkin <mst@redhat.com> wrote:
>
>         On Mon, Jan 17, 2022 at 02:15:55PM +0800, Jason Wang wrote:
>
>             在 2022/1/14 下午9:39, Michael S. Tsirkin 写道:
>
>                 The spec says (v1.1 4.1.4.5 ISR status capability):
>
>                 The VIRTIO_PCI_CAP_ISR_CFG capability refers to at least a single byte, which contains the 8­bit ISR
>                 status field to be used for INT#x interrupt handling.
>
>                 and
>
>                 to avoid an extra access, simply reading this register resets it to 0 and causes the device to de­assert the
>                 interrupt.
>                 In this way, driver read of ISR status causes the device to de­assert an interrupt.
>
>                 See sections 4.1.5.3 and 4.1.5.4 for how this is used.
>
>                 and in 4.1.5.4 Notification of Device Configuration Changes
>
>                 it says:
>
>                 • If MSI­X capability is disabled:
>                 1. Set the second lower bit of the ISR Status field for the device.
>                 2. Send the appropriate PCI interrupt for the device.
>
>                 If MSI­X capability is enabled:
>                 1. If config_msix_vector is not NO_VECTOR, request the appropriate MSI­X interrupt message for
>                 the device, config_msix_vector sets the MSI­X Table entry number.
>
>                 all of the above make it looks like VIRTIO_PCI_CAP_ISR_CFG capability is
>                 unused with MSIX.
>
>                 This was actually the way the spec was understood by
>                 Zhu Lingshan from Intel (Cc'd).
>
>                 However, looking at the conformance statements, one finds out this is
>                 not the case:
>
>                 4.1.4.5.1 Device Requirements: ISR status capability
>

>                 The device MUST present at least one VIRTIO_PCI_CAP_ISR_CFG capability.
>                 The device MUST set the Device Configuration Interrupt bit in ISR status before sending a device configu­
>                 ration change notification to the driver.
>                 If MSI­X capability is disabled, the device MUST set the Queue Interrupt bit in ISR status before sending a
>                 virtqueue notification to the driver.
>
>                 which implies that the Device Configuration Interrupt bit is set unconditionally.
>

>                 It is unfortunate that it does not copy this requirement in more places,
>                 and that the non-conformance text is incomplete and does not
>                 mention the MSI-X usage at all.
>
>                 I propose to extend 4.1.4.5 ISR status capability and
>                 4.1.5.4 Notification of Device Configuration Changes
>                 to mention the MSI use.
>
> I agree to expand ISR cap usage to MSI(MSIX) usage with clear descriptions,
> and remove the limitations to MSIX. E.g,:
> 4.1.4.5.2 Driver Requirements: ISR status capability
> If MSI-X capability is enabled, the driver SHOULD NOT access ISR status upon
> detecting a Queue Interrupt.
>
> Thanks

No, we actually need that for bypass. Only config interrupts set ISR.

I will need to send a patch, people are still confused.