* 4.4.X-stable and 4.4.X-rt maintainance ends in less than two weeks
@ 2022-01-19 14:12 Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2022-01-19 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev, jan.kiszka

Hi!

It looks like stable 4.4.X maintainence ends real soon now:
https://www.kernel.org/category/releases.html . I talked to Greg and
it seems like plan is to end it at the beggining of month, rather than
end.

That means we'll be on our own maintaining -cip and -cip-rt versions.

To review our 4.4 branch:

git log --pretty=oneline linux-4.4.y-cip-rebase

We have 757 patches on top of 4.4.216, and there are some 14000
patches between 4.4 and 4.4.216. Going forward, most new patches will
come from upstream.

We do some compile testing, but we only run run-time tests on two
targets:
https://gitlab.com/cip-project/cip-kernel/linux-cip/-/pipelines/448669210
.

Given that most of work we'll be doing will be maintaining -stable
patches, anyway, I believe it would make sense to step up as official
maintainers of 4.4.X-stable and 4.4.X-rt series. We'll need to do the
work, anyway, keeping -stable and -cip split will not result in much
overhead for us, and this way we'll get a lot of visibility for the
project, and hopefully a lot of additional testing.

Any thoughts?

Best regards,
								Pavel

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: [cip-dev] 4.4.X-stable and 4.4.X-rt maintainance ends in less than two weeks
@ 2022-01-20  2:26 ` Masami Ichikawa
From: Masami Ichikawa @ 2022-01-20  2:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev; +Cc: jan.kiszka

On Wed, Jan 19, 2022 at 11:12 PM Pavel Machek <pavel@denx.de> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> It looks like stable 4.4.X maintainence ends real soon now:
> https://www.kernel.org/category/releases.html . I talked to Greg and
> it seems like plan is to end it at the beggining of month, rather than
> end.

Thank you for asking the actual EOL date.

> That means we'll be on our own maintaining -cip and -cip-rt versions.
>
> To review our 4.4 branch:
>
> git log --pretty=oneline linux-4.4.y-cip-rebase
>
> We have 757 patches on top of 4.4.216, and there are some 14000
> patches between 4.4 and 4.4.216. Going forward, most new patches will
> come from upstream.
>
> We do some compile testing, but we only run run-time tests on two
> targets:
> https://gitlab.com/cip-project/cip-kernel/linux-cip/-/pipelines/448669210
> .
>
> Given that most of work we'll be doing will be maintaining -stable
> patches, anyway, I believe it would make sense to step up as official
> maintainers of 4.4.X-stable and 4.4.X-rt series. We'll need to do the
> work, anyway, keeping -stable and -cip split will not result in much
> overhead for us, and this way we'll get a lot of visibility for the
> project, and hopefully a lot of additional testing.
>
> Any thoughts?

I agree. The split -stable and -cip work sounds reasonable.
I think it would be helpful, if AUTOSEL system continues to pick
patches for 4.4 series.

> Best regards,
>                                                                 Pavel
> --
> DENX Software Engineering GmbH,      Managing Director: Wolfgang Denk

Masami Ichikawa
Cybertrust Japan Co., Ltd.

Email :masami.ichikawa@cybertrust.co.jp
          :masami.ichikawa@miraclelinux.com

* Re: [cip-dev] 4.4.X-stable and 4.4.X-rt maintainance ends in less than two weeks
@ 2022-01-24 14:01   ` Jan Kiszka
From: Jan Kiszka @ 2022-01-24 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

On 20.01.22 03:26, Masami Ichikawa wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 19, 2022 at 11:12 PM Pavel Machek <pavel@denx.de> wrote:
>>
>> Hi!
>>
>> It looks like stable 4.4.X maintainence ends real soon now:
>> https://www.kernel.org/category/releases.html . I talked to Greg and
>> it seems like plan is to end it at the beggining of month, rather than
>> end.
>>

> Thank you for asking the actual EOL date.
>
>> That means we'll be on our own maintaining -cip and -cip-rt versions.
>>
>> To review our 4.4 branch:
>>
>> git log --pretty=oneline linux-4.4.y-cip-rebase
>>
>> We have 757 patches on top of 4.4.216, and there are some 14000
>> patches between 4.4 and 4.4.216. Going forward, most new patches will
>> come from upstream.
>>
>> We do some compile testing, but we only run run-time tests on two
>> targets:
>> https://gitlab.com/cip-project/cip-kernel/linux-cip/-/pipelines/448669210
>> .
>>
>> Given that most of work we'll be doing will be maintaining -stable
>> patches, anyway, I believe it would make sense to step up as official
>> maintainers of 4.4.X-stable and 4.4.X-rt series. We'll need to do the
>> work, anyway, keeping -stable and -cip split will not result in much
>> overhead for us, and this way we'll get a lot of visibility for the
>> project, and hopefully a lot of additional testing.
>>
>> Any thoughts?
>>

> I agree. The split -stable and -cip work sounds reasonable.
> I think it would be helpful, if AUTOSEL system continues to pick
> patches for 4.4 series.

I do agree that, if we need to integrate patches anyway, providing them
as a prolonged LTS should not be extra effort. But what will and can
people expect from that?

The original LTS kernels conceptually covers everything that is
code-wise included. Our CIP kernels do not. While it might be still ok
to fix trivial build issues or even runtime problems for things CIP does
not cover in the configs when they only occasionally occur, we will not
be able to commit on doing that all the time - resources are limited,
and the focus needs to be on CIP-defined setups.

Jan

--
Siemens AG, Technology
Competence Center Embedded Linux