From: Sebastian Fricke <sebastian.fricke@collabora.com>
To: Clemens Arth <clemens.arth@gmail.com>
Cc: Ricardo Ribalda Delgado <ricardo.ribalda@gmail.com>,
	Heiko Stuebner <heiko@sntech.de>,
	Kieran Bingham <kieran.bingham@ideasonboard.com>,
	linux-media <linux-media@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: RockPro65 RK3399 chipset, ISP and IMX214 camera
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2022 10:31:46 +0100	[thread overview]

Hey Clemens,

On 02.03.2022 09:43, Clemens Arth wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>so I have good news. With the help of one of the pinetab developers, I
>finally managed to get a working DT together. I did not realize I had
>to use another clock to drive it, but the rest of the DT was already
>ok.

That is good to hear, congratz.

>While I played around with the IMX driver trying to improve it, I
>finally went back to the current mainline branch version testing it
>with the rkisp1 and - voila! - the large 13M res does not work, but

Oh that sounds very familiar I worked on a fix for this for a while as I
had the same problem with OV13850:
https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/linux-media/patch/20210329061637.14921-1-sebastian.fricke@posteo.net/

I haven't finished it yet, as I stopped working on the OV13850.
If you want to you can finish the patch, the remaining problem was that
result should be centered automatically.
I remember that one issue with the high resolution format were the very
low FPS (15).

>the 1920x1080 worked out immediately, using the pure command-line
>config of media-ctl and video-ctl - the libcamera refuses operation
>due to the missing database info and the lack of certain caps in the
>driver.

Can you add your log to the mail?

>There are a few things on my list though and I wanted to hear your
>thoughts before I move on now.
>
>1) First of all, the image seems to be very badly balanced in terms of
>color and brightness. I assume it has to do with not properly
>adjusting parameters of the camera. I did not play around with it, as
>I have no graphical user interface on the board - it would make more
>sense I do that once I am able to visualize changes in real-time.
>@Ricardo, would you be willing to review changes I do to the IMX214
>driver in the kernel based on the application guide I shared earlier?
>As I'm not a driver guy AT ALL, fixing things for me might break
>things for others, and I don't know how to verify that without having
>anyone else to check (I mean, do more than just code review,
>probably).

Could you provide a link to a frame via imgur or something similar?

>2) The DT overlay - it is nice that I have it now, but I had to put
>everything together myself - should I contribute it into mainline (or
>armbian), does that make sense and what is the procedure?
>
>3) I don't have any other camera to work with, as I just ordered FPC
>FCC pinouts for 24-pin cams and have to rewire/solder a converter for
>the RockPro64. That might happen as soon as I get them from China - no
>Amazon or anything available right now. Still the DT seems to be the
>most valuable part of all of this right now.
>
>4) The libcamera fix - I saw lc_compliance and gst-video work already
>after a few minor copy/paste fixes, but by pulling the driver from
>mainline broke it again expectedly. What's the plausible roadmap?
>Fixing libcamera alone resorts to fixing 10 lines of code probably,
>but that does not make sense without fixing the IMX214 driver in the
>kernel first, right?

This is also a bit to vague, please provide logs that describe your issues.
What did you fix, can you maybe provide a diff/patch?

>Best
>Clemens

Greetings,
Sebastian