From: Alejandro Jimenez <alejandro.j.jimenez@oracle.com>
To: corbet@lwn.net, mcgrof@kernel.org, keescook@chromium.org,
	yzaikin@google.com, linux-fsdevel@vger.kernel.org,
	linux-doc@vger.kernel.org, linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
Cc: akpm@linux-foundation.org, linux@rasmusvillemoes.dk,
	ebiggers@google.com, peterz@infradead.org, ying.huang@intel.com,
	gpiccoli@igalia.com, mchehab+huawei@kernel.org, Jason@zx2c4.com,
	daniel@iogearbox.net, robh@kernel.org, wangqing@vivo.com,
	prestwoj@gmail.com, dsahern@kernel.org,
	stephen.s.brennan@oracle.com, alejandro.j.jimenez@oracle.com
Subject: [RFC 0/1] Add sysctl entry for controlling crash_kexec_post_notifiers
Date: Fri,  1 Apr 2022 16:22:59 -0400	[thread overview]

I noticed that in contrast to other kernel core parameters (e.g. kernel.panic,
kernel.panic_on_warn, kernel.panic_print) crash_kexec_post_notifiers is not
available as a sysctl tunable. I am aware that because it is a kernel core
parameter, there is already an entry under:

  /sys/module/kernel/parameters/crash_kexec_post_notifiers

and that allows us to read/modify it at runtime. However, I thought it should
also be available via sysctl, since users that want to read/set this value at
runtime might look there first.

I believe there is an ongoing effort to clean up kernel/sysctl.c, but it wasn't
clear to me if this entry (and perhaps the other panic related entries too)
should be placed on kernel/panic.c. I wanted to verify first that this change
would be welcomed before doing additional refactoring work.

I'd appreciate any comments or suggestions.

Thank you,
Alejandro

Alejandro Jimenez (1):
  kernel/sysctl: Add sysctl entry for crash_kexec_post_notifiers

 Documentation/admin-guide/sysctl/kernel.rst | 8 ++++++++
 include/uapi/linux/sysctl.h                 | 1 +
 kernel/sysctl.c                             | 7 +++++++
 3 files changed, 16 insertions(+)

--
2.34.1