Hi Yu, On Wed, 6 Apr 2022 21:24:27 -0600 Yu Zhao wrote: > > Can you please include this patchset in linux-next? Git repo for you to fetch: > > https://linux-mm.googlesource.com/mglru for-linux-next I get a message saying "This repository is empty. Push to it to show branches and history." :-( > My goal is to get additional test coverage before I send a pull > request for 5.19 to Linus. Good idea :-) > I've explored all avenues, but ultimately I've failed to rally > substantial support from the MM stakeholders [1]. There are no pending > technical issues against this patchset [2]. What is more concerning > are the fundamental disagreements on priorities, methodologies, etc. > that are not specific to this patchset and have been hindering our > progress as a collective. (Cheers to the mutual dissatisfaction.) I have not been following the discussion as I am not an mm person, but this is not a good sign. > While we plan to discuss those issues during the LSFMM next month, it > doesn't seem reasonable to leave this patchset hanging in the air, > since it has reached its maturity a while ago and there are strong > demands from downstream kernels as well as a large user base. Thus I > sent that pull request to Linus a couple of weeks ago, implying that > he would have to make the final decision soon. > > I hope this gives enough background about what's been going on with > this patchset. If you decide to take it and it causes you any > troubles, please feel free to yell at me. > > Thanks! > > [1] https://lore.kernel.org/r/20220104202227.2903605-1-yuzhao@google.com/ > [2] https://lore.kernel.org/r/20220326010003.3155137-1-yuzhao@google.com/ I had a look at those threads and I guess things are better that your comment above implies. So, a couple of questions: Have you done a trial merge with a current linux-next tree to see what sort of mess/pain we may already be in? Is it all stable enough now that it could be sent as a patch series for Andrew to include in mmotm (with perhaps just smallish followup patches)? -- Cheers, Stephen Rothwell