From: Jonathan Cameron <Jonathan.Cameron@Huawei.com>
To: "Maíra Canal" <maira.canal@usp.br>
Cc: Jonathan Cameron <jic23@kernel.org>, <linux-iio@vger.kernel.org>,
	<dragos.bogdan@analog.com>
Subject: Re: GSoC Proposal 2022
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 10:23:43 +0100	[thread overview]

On Mon, 11 Apr 2022 09:52:19 +0100
Jonathan Cameron <Jonathan.Cameron@Huawei.com> wrote:

> [...]
> > > hopefully to upstream things in multiple stages.  An old hand at IIO
> > > drivers will often just jump directly to a driver supporting all the
> > > features they wish to target.  As such, the 'perfect' device to target
> > > should meet a few requirements that may not be true for the approach of jumping
> > > straight to the end goal.  Note this is equally true for other people
> > > starting out writing drivers - though they can often do very simple
> > > devices first and that is not a good plan for a GSOC project where
> > > you need to have a progression during the project.
> > >
> > > Try to find something that offers some advanced features to provide
> > > stretch goals but make sure the basic functionality will work with
> > > a much simpler driver. So devices that provide straight forward
> > > registers to access the latest channel value are great, whereas
> > > those that only offer a streaming interfaces / fifo may be less suitable.
> > > However if they offer both that is perfect as the fifo make a good
> > > later feature for a GSOC project if things are going particularly
> > > well!  For a real stretch goal, find a device with features that
> > > we don't support at all today (perhaps new sensor types, or some
> > > other new feature) as they'll give you the experience of defining
> > > new ABI + possibly modifying the IIO core to meet some requirements.
> > >
> > > Another thing to look at it is whether the part is sufficiently
> > > different from those supported by existing drivers to justify a
> > > separate driver. If not, you may find your GSOC project becomes
> > > simply adding an ID! (then rapidly choosing a second device to
> > > work on).
> > >
> > > Hope that provides a few hints on what to look at.  Probably the best
> > > way around is to suggest one or more parts you think look interesting
> > > then we can give feedback on whether we think they'd be a good choice
> > > or not.
> >
> > Hi Jonathan,
> >
> > I really appreciate the answer. Thank you for your attention and time!
> >
> > During the week, I ended up picking the ADXL375 accelerometer (although I am
> > open to any change proposed by ADI or the IIO community). Based on that device,
> > I wrote a proposal and I would appreciate if you provide some feedback on the
> > device choice and proposal: https://pt.overleaf.com/read/xsmmdpvzqrhd.
>
> Unfortunately that part hits the second to last paragraph above.
>
> It's so nearly compatible with the ADXL345 that the driver already supports it:
> https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/v5.18-rc1/source/drivers/iio/accel/adxl345_i2c.c#L42
> This is very common for these types of devices as there are often many similar
> variants, usually with different ranges or with small additional features, or numbers
> of interrupt pins etc.  Another fun one is parts with ratings for different applications
> but identical software interfaces being given different part numbers.
> I think in this case the two parts have different scaling, but are otherwise

I took a quick look at your proposal.  Main feedback is look to do more steps in
submission for upstream.  I'd look to post basic read / write via sysfs first
without the buffers or events.  Key here is that it can take several weeks
to get review (particularly during the summer as people can be on vacation)
so you want to have something available for review as early as possible.
It's absolutely fine to post a v2 with additional features even though v1 hasn't
gotten review yet. (just reply to v1 to say you have done so to avoid anyone
wasting time reviewing old code).

It might make sense to do a project focused on the adxl375 if the aim is
to fill in missing features in the driver.  However, that's high risk as
you may be posing questions that need considerable discussion on list.

Long ago we had one GSOC project that ran into such a problem and ended up
going in a circle with 3 different solutions proposed before we ended up
back where we started. Project was a success but I'd imagine it
was very stressful for the person doing the project!

Jonathan