Hi, On Tue, May 10, 2022 at 11:26:56AM +0100, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote: > On Sat, Apr 02, 2022 at 12:41:00AM +0200, Victor Toso wrote: > > This patch handles QAPI union types and generates the equivalent data > > structures and methods in Go to handle it. > > > > At the moment of this writing, it generates 67 structures. > > > > The QAPI union type can be summarized by its common members that are > > defined in a @base struct and a @value. The @value type can vary and > > depends on @base's field that we call @discriminator. The > > @discriminator is always a Enum type. > > > > Golang does not have Unions. The generation of QAPI union type in Go > > with this patch, follows similar approach to what is done for QAPI > > struct types and QAPI alternate types. > > The common way to approach unions in Go is to just use a struct > where each union case is an optional field, and declare that > only one field must ever be set. ie > > type SocketAddressLegacy struct { > // Value based on @type, possible types: > Inet *InetSocketAddressWrapper > Unix *UnixSocketAddressWrapper > VSock *VsockSocketAddressWrapper > FD *StringWrapper > } Like Alternates, I like this better. > When deserializing from JSON we populate exactly one of the > optional fields. > > When serializing to JSON process the first field that is > non-nil. > > Note, you don't actually need to include the discriminator as a > field at all, since it is implicitly determined by whichever > case is non-nil. Introducing the discriminator as a field just > provides the possibility for the programmer to make > inconsistent settings, for no gain. Sounds reasonable. We still need to implement Marshal/Unmarshal for unknow types (e.g: a new Type for SocketAddressLegacy was introduced in 7.1 and we should be able to know that current qapi-go version can't understand it). Cheers, Victor