On Thu, Jun 02, 2022 at 03:16:27PM -0400, Alan Stern wrote: >On Thu, Jun 02, 2022 at 04:59:18PM +0200, Michael Grzeschik wrote: >> On Thu, Jun 02, 2022 at 10:39:54AM -0400, Alan Stern wrote: >> > You might want to disable the new sysfs file (don't create it or have it >> > return -EOPNOTSUPP) if the hub doesn't support per-port power switching. >> >> Is it possible to read out if this feature is not working by the hub? > >Actually, I don't think so. You can get some information about ganged >power switching, and there's the hub_is_port_power_switchable() test, but >that's all. The situation is discussed in section 11.11 (Hub Port Power >Control) of the USB-2.0 spec. I think we can skip this check then, since this sysfs file could still work with hubs, that do not support port power switching by at least disabling the port connection. >> The most hubs, that I was working with, did not really toggle the vbus, >> because the physical logic to switch a regulator was completely missing >> in the hardware. But with removing the other PORT_FEATURES the hub >> behaved like the port is just not powered any more. > >Yes, that's how most hubs work. There are a few, however, which really do >switch port Vbus power on and off. > >> Because of that; I am currently curious if we just should rename that >> property to something more generic like "enable" or "disable". So that >> as the real vbus power switching is missing, the hubs port switching >> does still function like intended. > >That makes sense. But the question arises, does this patch really do what >you want? > >The patch description talks about the need to disable devices or >re-enumerate them. You can disable a device right now by writing -1 to >the bConfigurationValue sysfs file, and you can force a device to be >re-enumerated by resetting it (using the USBDEVFS_RESET usbfs ioctl). > >About the only thing you can't currently do is actually turn off power to >the port. This patch will allow users to do that, but only if the hub >supports power switching. > >(Okay, there's one other thing: The patch also allows users to disable a >port, so that devices plugged into that port get ignored. Maybe that's >what you really had in mind...?) Yes, that is what I had in mind. If you agree, I would still keep the name "port_power" since it is the main function, but skip the hub_is_port_power_switchable check. >> > Finally, you should add a test to port_event() in hub.c, probably where >> > the pm_runtime_active() check is. If the port is powered off, return >> > before doing any of the warm_reset or connect_change processing. >> >> I don't understand jet why this is needed. In all my tests, the hubs >> port was just not functioning any more. Regardless if the hub >> was capable of real vbus switching or not. Just as described above. >> Is it possible that this is already handled correctly because of the >> other cleared port_features I mentioned? > >The USB spec does say that hubs should ignore connections to ports whose >port_power feature flag is off. The test I suggested was meant as a "just >in case" sort of thing, for hubs that don't comply with the spec's >requirement. In the end it may not be necessary, and it can be done in a >separate patch. Agreed. >> In v3 I will also add port_power_show to make it possible for the >> userspace to read out the current port status but returning the >> value of test_bit(port1, hub->power_bits);. > >Good idea; I should have thought of it. :) Thanks, Michael -- Pengutronix e.K. | | Steuerwalder Str. 21 | http://www.pengutronix.de/ | 31137 Hildesheim, Germany | Phone: +49-5121-206917-0 | Amtsgericht Hildesheim, HRA 2686 | Fax: +49-5121-206917-5555 |