Hello, On Fri, May 20, 2022 at 07:21:00PM +0200, Uwe Kleine-König wrote: > Returning an error value in an i2c remove callback results in an error > message being emitted by the i2c core, but otherwise it doesn't make a > difference. The device goes away anyhow and the devm cleanups are > called. > > As atmel_ecc_remove() already emits an error message on failure and the > additional error message by the i2c core doesn't add any useful > information, change the return value to zero to suppress this message. > > Also make the error message a bit more drastical because when the device > is still busy on remove, it's likely that it will access freed memory > soon. > > This patch is a preparation for making i2c remove callbacks return void. I want to tackle this (i.e. diff --git a/include/linux/i2c.h b/include/linux/i2c.h index fbda5ada2afc..066b541a0d5d 100644 --- a/include/linux/i2c.h +++ b/include/linux/i2c.h @@ -273,7 +273,7 @@ struct i2c_driver { /* Standard driver model interfaces */ int (*probe)(struct i2c_client *client, const struct i2c_device_id *id); - int (*remove)(struct i2c_client *client); + void (*remove)(struct i2c_client *client); /* New driver model interface to aid the seamless removal of the * current probe()'s, more commonly unused than used second parameter. ) directly after the next merge window. That is (depending on Linus's counting capabilities) after v5.20-rc1. So I ask you to either take this crypto patch before (my preferred option), or accept that I send it as part of a bigger series that eventually contains the above hunk and will probably be merged via the i2c tree. Best regards Uwe -- Pengutronix e.K. | Uwe Kleine-König | Industrial Linux Solutions | https://www.pengutronix.de/ |