On Wed, Jun 08, 2022 at 05:36:08PM +0200, Maxime Ripard wrote: > On Wed, Jun 08, 2022 at 04:14:22PM +0100, Peter Robinson wrote: > > > > > As of Linux 5.18.0, module vc4 apparently isn't working on Raspberry Pi > > > > > 3B any more. > > > > > > > > > > If a monitor is attached to the device, the boot messages show up as > > > > > usual, but right when KMS starts, the screen turns black. Similarly, the > > > > > screen also turns black when the module is blacklisted at boot time and > > > > > loaded from the running system. > > > > > The problem looks quite similar to the one posted some months ago in [1]. > > > > > > If I understand you properly, it results in a blank screen if the > > > monitor is connected, but the system is still responsive? > > > > Yes, it boots fine, I see all serial console output and the module > > loads etc, without a screen I didn't notice the issue > > > > > If so, it's a very different problem than the link you provided, since > > > it was occurring when no monitor was connected and resulted in a total > > > system hang. > > > > > > > > Unfortunately, looking through systemd's journal didn't seem to yield > > > > > any real hint. Nevertheless, the results from grepping vc4 are > > > > > > > > I'm seeing the same issue with vc4 on a RPi3 on 5.18.1 on Fedora so > > > > can confirm the regression. Maxime would know what might be up here? > > > > > > I tested on 5.18 on my 3B and it works well. Could you paste your kernel > > > configuration and config.txt somewhere? > > > > It boots with output on 5.17.13, and not on 5.18. > > Interestingly, it works for 5.18 in my case but doesn't for the current > drm-misc-next branch with similar symptoms. > > I'll look into that one and see if the two might be related. Actually, it was because drm-misc-next was missing 88110a9f6209, and thus the DRM driver wouldn't load. Once that patch is applied, 5.18 and all -rc work fine on my side. Could you start a bisection maybe? Maxime