On 08/08, Hans de Goede wrote: > Hi, > > On 8/5/22 19:34, Simon Ser wrote: > > Hi, > > > > Have you seen [1] and [2]? CC'ing Sean and Hans, it seems like there's > > a disagreement regarding probing early vs. setting the initial value to > > UNKNOWN. > > At least for the discussions I've been involved in so far > (see the links in the originak email) it was possible to retreive > the panel orientation before calling drm_dev_register() and IIRC some > changes were merged (I've at least reviewed them) to add a new > callback to the panel drivers to get the orientation from the panel > driver before registering the connector fixing the ordering problem > for those cases. > > > If a driver doesn't fetch EDIDs before exposing them to user-space, > > then there is an amount of time where the connectors are exposed as > > CONNECTED but their EDID and mode list isn't properly set. But maybe > > that's what the GETCONNECTOR IOCTLs is supposed to do: probe the > > connector, fetch its EDID, return the proper mode list. So maybe > > drivers shouldn't probe early and should let user-space request probes? > > In which case we could create the panel orientation prop with "Normal", > > and update it accordingly when probing. > > I guess that if in some cases it really is not possible to get > the orientation before calling drm_dev_register() then this is > an acceptable solution, as long as the orientation gets set > properly before the first GETCONNECTOR IOCTL finishes then > userspace will never know the difference since it needs to do > the GETCONNECTOR to enumerate the connectors properties anyways. > > > At any rate, I've tested v2 on the Deck and it works properly. > > > > Tested-by: Simon Ser > > I'm not aware of which patch's v2 you are talking about here, link ? Hi Hans, Here is v2: https://lore.kernel.org/amd-gfx/20220804161349.3561177-1-mwen@igalia.com/ Anyway, let me cc'ing you all there. Best Regards, Melissa > > Regards, > > Hans > > > > > > > > > Thanks, > > > > Simon > > > > [1]: https://lore.kernel.org/dri-devel/CAMavQKJUpYP8jo2JDGMYNBGtbPSSO7z9BAComm5JQoty=HPtJg@mail.gmail.com/ > > [2]: https://lore.kernel.org/dri-devel/20220530081910.3947168-1-hsinyi@chromium.org/ > > >