* Btrfs progs release 5.19
@ 2022-08-16 13:51 David Sterba
From: David Sterba @ 2022-08-16 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

Hi,

btrfs-progs version 5.19 have been released.

Changelog:
   * send: support protocol version 2
   * fi show: print all missing devices
   * device stats: add tabular output
   * replace: add alias to device group (device replace)
   * check: validate free space tree items
   * fixes:
      * convert: support large filesystems (block count > 32bit)
      * recognize filesystems with verity enabled
      * mkfs and DUP could write out of order, fix it for zoned mode
   * build:
      * optional support for LZO and ZSTD in receive
      * compatibility with glibc 2.36 (mount.h)
      * add fallbacks for new GCC builtins
   * other:
      * corrupt-block: target specific items, offsets
      * documentation updates, new pages from wiki
      * new tests

Tarballs: https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/kdave/btrfs-progs/
Git: git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/kdave/btrfs-progs.git

Shortlog:

Boris Burkov (11):
      btrfs-progs: receive: support v2 send stream larger tlv_len
      btrfs-progs: receive: dynamically allocate sctx->read_buf
      btrfs-progs: receive: support v2 send stream DATA tlv format
      btrfs-progs: receive: process encoded_write commands
      btrfs-progs: receive: encoded_write fallback to explicit decode and write
      btrfs-progs: receive: process fallocate commands
      btrfs-progs: receive: process setflags ioctl commands
      btrfs-progs: receive: add tests for basic encoded_write send/receive
      btrfs-progs: corrupt-block: corrupt generic item data
      btrfs-progs: corrupt-block: expand corrupt_file_extent
      btrfs-progs: add VERITY ro compat flag

Chung-Chiang Cheng (1):
      btrfs-progs: tests: remove duplicated helper

David Sterba (22):
      btrfs-progs: docs: fix spinx build warnings
      btrfs-progs: docs: split project information to new section
      btrfs-progs: docs: copy wiki page Contributors
      btrfs-progs: docs: distinguish Changes title
      btrfs-progs: docs: add feature by version table from wiki
      btrfs-progs: docs: update troubleshooting
      btrfs-progs: libbtrfs: reduce exports from ctree.h
      btrfs-progs: receive: optional build for lzo, zstd
      btrfs-progs: build: rename compression support variables
      btrfs-progs: add constant for initial getopt values
      btrfs-progs: receive: switch context variables to bool
      btrfs-progs: receive: implement FILEATTR command
      btrfs-progs: docs: add send stream format description
      btrfs-progs: device: add replace subcommand as alias to 1st level command
      btrfs-progs: corrupt-block: use only long options for value and offset
      btrfs-progs: corrupt-block: update help text
      btrfs-progs: build: add m4 macros for builtin detection
      btrfs-progs: kernel-lib: add stubs for overflow builtins
      btrfs-progs: docs: update kernel 5.19 contributor stats
      btrfs-progs: tests: fix udev build test option name
      btrfs-progs: update CHANGES for 5.19
      Btrfs progs v5.19

Josef Bacik (1):
      btrfs-progs: check: check for invalid free space tree entries

Khem Raj (1):
      btrfs-progs: use linux mount.h instead of sys/mount.h

Mike Fleetwood (1):
      btrfs-progs: dump-super: exit with failure when printing bad superblock

Nikolay Borisov (5):
      btrfs-progs: convert: properly work with large ext4 filesystems
      btrfs-progs: fi show: print missing device for a mounted file system
      btrfs-progs: tests: add test for fi show and missing device
      btrfs-progs: factor out device stats printing code
      btrfs-progs: add support for tabular format for device stats

Omar Sandoval (2):
      btrfs-progs: receive: add send stream v2 commands and attributes
      btrfs-progs: send: stream v2 ioctl flags

Qu Wenruo (4):
      btrfs-progs: make btrfs_super_block::log_root_transid deprecated
      btrfs-progs: avoid repeated data write for metadata
      btrfs-progs: fix a BUG_ON() condition for write_data_to_disk()
      btrfs-progs: use write_data_to_disk() to handle RAID56 in write_and_map_eb()

Su Yue (1):
      btrfs-progs: save item data end in u64 to avoid overflow in btrfs_check_leaf()

Wang Yugui (1):
      btrfs-progs: kerncompat: avoid redefined __bitwise__ warning

* Re: Btrfs progs release 5.19
@ 2022-09-01 17:01 ` Christoph Anton Mitterer
From: Christoph Anton Mitterer @ 2022-09-01 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dsterba, linux-btrfs

Hey.

I've just wondered whether:

On Tue, 2022-08-16 at 15:51 +0200, David Sterba wrote:
> Changelog:
>    * send: support protocol version 2

means that send/receive v2 would now already be used when using
btrfsprogs v.19?

Especially,... is it considered stable?

Thanks,
Chris.

* Re: Btrfs progs release 5.19
@ 2022-09-02  7:15   ` David Sterba
From: David Sterba @ 2022-09-02  7:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christoph Anton Mitterer; +Cc: dsterba, linux-btrfs

On Thu, Sep 01, 2022 at 07:01:10PM +0200, Christoph Anton Mitterer wrote:
> Hey.
>

> I've just wondered whether:
>
> On Tue, 2022-08-16 at 15:51 +0200, David Sterba wrote:
> > Changelog:
> >    * send: support protocol version 2
>
> means that send/receive v2 would now already be used when using
> btrfsprogs v.19?

Progs use the highest version supported by the running kernel, the
version is detected from sys/fs/btrfs/features/send_stream_version . Not
using the latest version is up to the user in case the receiving side
does not support the version.

> Especially,... is it considered stable?

I'd say yes, the new features in v2 are not intrusive, eg. fileattr,
otime are only informative, the fallocate is not yet emitted on kernel
side and the encoded data have to be explicitly selected on the send
side. It's basically v1 with unless told otherwise.