* Preserving notes when updating trailers
@ 2022-09-29  7:47 Christian Brauner
From: Christian Brauner @ 2022-09-29  7:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Konstantin Ryabitsev; +Cc: tools

Hey Konstantin,

When updating trailers using b4 for a series git notes aren't preserved
for the individual commit messages. I have a work around for this. After
updating the trailers I can use filter-repo/commit_map which provides a
list of the old and new hashes. Then each line can simply be fed to git
notes copy. It'd be nice if b4 would be able do this natively e.g., by
having a command line option to preserve notes.

Christian

* Re: Preserving notes when updating trailers
@ 2022-09-29 22:06 ` Konstantin Ryabitsev
From: Konstantin Ryabitsev @ 2022-09-29 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Brauner; +Cc: tools

On Thu, Sep 29, 2022 at 09:47:17AM +0200, Christian Brauner wrote:
> When updating trailers using b4 for a series git notes aren't preserved
> for the individual commit messages. I have a work around for this. After
> updating the trailers I can use filter-repo/commit_map which provides a
> list of the old and new hashes. Then each line can simply be fed to git
> notes copy. It'd be nice if b4 would be able do this natively e.g., by
> having a command line option to preserve notes.

Yes, we should definitely preserve notes on such operations. Let me see what I
can do.

-K

* Re: Preserving notes when updating trailers
@ 2022-11-22 18:52 ` Konstantin Ryabitsev
From: Konstantin Ryabitsev @ 2022-11-22 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Brauner; +Cc: tools

On Thu, Sep 29, 2022 at 09:47:17AM +0200, Christian Brauner wrote:
> Hey Konstantin,
>
> When updating trailers using b4 for a series git notes aren't preserved
> for the individual commit messages. I have a work around for this. After
> updating the trailers I can use filter-repo/commit_map which provides a
> list of the old and new hashes. Then each line can simply be fed to git
> notes copy. It'd be nice if b4 would be able do this natively e.g., by
> having a command line option to preserve notes.

After looking into this, I believe it's something that should be fixed in
git-filter-repo, not in b4. It's a known problem and there's a long-standing
github issue tracking it:
https://github.com/newren/git-filter-repo/issues/22

For now, it's just something that will have to be a "known problem."

-K