On Wed, Jan 18, 2023 at 08:13:01AM -0600, Jassi Brar wrote: > On Wed, Jan 18, 2023 at 7:28 AM Michal Simek wrote: > > > > Hi, > > > > On 1/2/23 19:25, Jassi Brar wrote: > > > The patchset reduces ~400 lines of code, while keeping the functionality same and making > > > meta-data operations much faster (by using cached structures). > > > > > > Issue: > > > meta-data copies (primary and secondary) are being handled by the backend/storage layer > > > instead of the common core in fwu.c (as also noted by Ilias) that is, gpt_blk.c manages > > > meta-data and similarly raw_mtd.c will have to do the same when it arrives. The code > > > could by make smaller, cleaner and optimised. > > > > > > Basic idea: > > > Introduce .read_mdata() and .write_mdata() in fwu_mdata_ops that simply read/write > > > meta-data copy. The core code takes care of integrity and redundancy of the meta-data, > > > as a result we can get rid of every other callback .get_mdata() .update_mdata() > > > .get_mdata_part_num() .read_mdata_partition() .write_mdata_partition() and the > > > corresponding wrapper functions thereby making the code 100s of LOC smaller. > > > > > > Get rid of fwu_check_mdata_validity() and fwu_mdata_check() which expected underlying > > > layer to manage and verify mdata copies. > > > Implement fwu_get_verified_mdata(struct fwu_mdata *mdata) public function that reads, > > > verifies and, if needed, fixes the meta-data copies. > > > > > > Verified copy of meta-data is now cached as 'g_mdata' in fwu.c, which avoids multiple > > > low-level expensive read and parse calls. > > > gpt meta-data partition numbers are now cached in gpt_blk.c, so that we don't have to do expensive part_get_info() and uid ops. > > > > First of all I have strong suspicious that this series are pretty much two > > series at once. > > > Yes, I submitted two patchsets. > 1) Optimizing the api of current fwu. > 2) Introduce support for mtd backed storage (DeveloperBox platform as > an instance) using the new api. > > They appear just fine in my inbox. Do they appear bad to you? > > > > > The second issue is that you are sending patches from > > Jassi Brar > > but SOB is > > Signed-off-by: Jassi Brar > > > > And Tom said in past that they should match. There is a hook for it to check it > > which everybody should be using. That's why please fix this in the next series. > > > I have submitted dozens of patches and pull requests over the last > many years. This never occurred to anybody. > BTW, the 'Author' and 'Signed-off-by' appear consistent in git log. > And there are very recent instances in uboot git log where even they > actually differ. > > But if Tom really wants, I am happy to send-email from my other account. It doesn't matter what the email you send from is, but Author and Signed-off-by really really should match in the commit itself. It can be annoying, depending on corporate setup / policies, to have send-email work directly with your corporate account, but if you're allowed to be submitting patches, that's where the match between Author and Signed-off-by matters. -- Tom