From: Thinh Nguyen <Thinh.Nguyen@synopsys.com>
To: Alan Stern <stern@rowland.harvard.edu>,
	Dan Scally <dan.scally@ideasonboard.com>
Cc: Thinh Nguyen <Thinh.Nguyen@synopsys.com>,
	"linux-usb@vger.kernel.org" <linux-usb@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: Explicit status phase for DWC3
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2023 23:57:07 +0000	[thread overview]

On Thu, Jan 26, 2023, Alan Stern wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 26, 2023 at 07:31:34PM +0000, Thinh Nguyen wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 26, 2023, Dan Scally wrote:
> > > Hi Thinh

> > > Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but isn't this how the USB spec expects it to
> > > work? Reading "Reporting Status Results (8.5.3.1)" in the USB 2.0 spec for
> > > the status stage in a control write it says "The function responds with
> > > either a handshake or a zero-length data packet to indicate its current
> > > status", and the handshake can be either STALL or NAK. If we can't do this,
> > > how else can we indicate to the host that the data sent during a control out
> > > transfer is in some way invalid?
> > >

> > My concern is from the documentation note[*] added from this commit:
> > 579c2b46f74 ("USB Gadget: documentation update")
>
> When the gadget subsystem was originally designed, it made no allowance
> for sending a STALL in the status stage.  The UDC drivers existing at
> that time would automatically send their own zero-length status packet
> when the control data was received.
>
> Drivers written since then have copied that approach.  They had to, if
> they wanted to work with the existing gadget drivers.  So the end result
> is that fully supporting status stalls will require changing pretty much
> every UDC driver.
>
> As for whether the UDC hardware has support...  I don't know.  Some of
> the earlier devices might not, but I expect that the more popular recent
> designs would provide a way to do it.

Right, it's just a bit concerning when the document also noted this:
"Note that some USB device controllers disallow protocol stall responses
in some cases."

It could be just for older controllers as you mentioned.

Hi Dan,

We should already have this mechanism in place to do protocol STALL.
Please look into delayed_status and set halt.

Regarding this question:
	How else can we indicate to the host that the data sent during a
	control out transfer is in some way invalid?

Typically there should be another request checking for the command
status. I suppose if we use protocol STALL, you only need to send status
request check on error cases.

Thanks,
Thinh