From: Jan Kara <jack@suse.cz>
To: Johannes Thumshirn <Johannes.Thumshirn@wdc.com>
Cc: "Hans Holmberg" <hans@owltronix.com>,
	"Adam Manzanares" <a.manzanares@samsung.com>,
	"Hans Holmberg" <Hans.Holmberg@wdc.com>,
	"linux-fsdevel@vger.kernel.org" <linux-fsdevel@vger.kernel.org>,
	"jaegeuk@kernel.org" <jaegeuk@kernel.org>,
	"josef@toxicpanda.com" <josef@toxicpanda.com>,
	"Matias Bjørling" <Matias.Bjorling@wdc.com>,
	"Damien Le Moal" <Damien.LeMoal@wdc.com>,
	"Dennis Maisenbacher" <dennis.maisenbacher@wdc.com>,
	"Naohiro Aota" <Naohiro.Aota@wdc.com>,
	"Aravind Ramesh" <Aravind.Ramesh@wdc.com>,
	"Jørgen Hansen" <Jorgen.Hansen@wdc.com>,
	"mcgrof@kernel.org" <mcgrof@kernel.org>,
	"javier@javigon.com" <javier@javigon.com>,
	"hch@lst.de" <hch@lst.de>,
	"guokuankuan@bytedance.com" <guokuankuan@bytedance.com>,
	"viacheslav.dubeyko@bytedance.com"
	<viacheslav.dubeyko@bytedance.com>,
	"j.granados@samsung.com" <j.granados@samsung.com>
Subject: Re: [LSF/MM/BPF TOPIC]: File system data placement for zoned block devices
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 15:33:07 +0100	[thread overview]

On Thu 09-02-23 10:22:31, Johannes Thumshirn wrote:
> On 09.02.23 11:06, Hans Holmberg wrote:
> > It takes a significant amount of time and trouble to build, run and understand
> > benchmarks for these applications. Modeling the workloads using fio
> > minimizes the set-up work and would enable more developers to actually
> > run these things. The workload definitions could also help developers
> > understanding what sort of IO that these use cases generate.
>
> True, but I think Adam has a point here. IIRC mmtests comes with some scripts
> to download, build and run the desired applications and then do the maths.
>
> In this day and age people would probably want to use a container with the
> application inside and some automation around it to run the benchmark and
> present the results.

Yeah, although containers also do have some impact on the benchmark
behavior (not that much for IO but for scheduling and memory management it
is more visible) so bare-metal testing is still worthwhile. Mmtests
actually already have some support for VM testing and we have implemented
basic container testing just recently. There are still rough edges and more
work is needed but mmtests are also moving into the next decade ;).

								Honza

--
Jan Kara <jack@suse.com>
SUSE Labs, CR