On Fri, 15 Mar 2024 13:09:58 -0400 wrote: > From: Leo Li > > [Why] > > Compositors have different ways of assigning surfaces to DRM planes for > render offloading. It may decide between various strategies: overlay, > underlay, or a mix of both > > One way for compositors to implement the underlay strategy is to assign > a higher zpos to the DRM_PRIMARY plane than the DRM_OVERLAY planes, > effectively turning the DRM_OVERLAY plane into an underlay plane. > > Today, amdgpu attaches an immutable zpos of 0 to the DRM_PRIMARY plane. > This however, is an arbitrary restriction. DCN pipes are general > purpose, and can be arranged in any z-order. To support compositors > using this allocation scheme, we can set a non-zero immutable zpos for > the PRIMARY, allowing the placement of OVERLAYS (mutable zpos range > 0-254) beneath the PRIMARY. > > [How] > > Assign a zpos = #no of OVERLAY planes to the PRIMARY plane. Then, clean > up any assumptions in the driver of PRIMARY plane having the lowest > zpos. This sounds good to me too. I suppose that means Acked-by: Pekka Paalanen for both patches. Or at least for their intentions. :-) Thanks, pq > Signed-off-by: Leo Li > --- > .../gpu/drm/amd/display/amdgpu_dm/amdgpu_dm.c | 96 ++++++++++++++++++- > .../amd/display/amdgpu_dm/amdgpu_dm_plane.c | 17 +++- > 2 files changed, 104 insertions(+), 9 deletions(-)