From: Justin Iurman <justin.iurman@uliege.be>
To: Jakub Kicinski <kuba@kernel.org>
Cc: Vladimir Oltean <olteanv@gmail.com>,
	netdev@vger.kernel.org, davem@davemloft.net, dsahern@kernel.org,
	yoshfuji@linux-ipv6.org, linux-mm@kvack.org, cl@linux.com,
	penberg@kernel.org, rientjes@google.com,
	iamjoonsoo kim <iamjoonsoo.kim@lge.com>,
	akpm@linux-foundation.org, vbabka@suse.cz,
	Roopa Prabhu <roopa@nvidia.com>,
	Nikolay Aleksandrov <nikolay@nvidia.com>,
	Andrew Lunn <andrew@lunn.ch>,
	Stephen Hemminger <sthemmin@microsoft.com>,
	Florian Fainelli <f.fainelli@gmail.com>,
	Florian Westphal <fw@strlen.de>, Paolo Abeni <pabeni@redhat.com>
Subject: Re: [RFC net-next 2/2] ipv6: ioam: Support for Buffer occupancy data field
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2021 17:13:45 +0100 (CET)	[thread overview]

On Dec 21, 2021, at 9:13 PM, Jakub Kicinski kuba@kernel.org wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Dec 2021 19:23:37 +0200 Vladimir Oltean wrote:

>> > It looks like we won't have more opinions on that, unfortunately.
>> >
>> > @Jakub - Should I submit it as a PATCH and see if we receive more
>> > feedback there?
>>
>> I know nothing about OAM and therefore did not want to comment, but I
>> think the point raised about the metric you propose being irrelevant in
>> the context of offloaded data paths is quite important. The "devlink-sb"
>> proposal was dismissed very quickly on grounds of requiring sleepable
>> context, is that a deal breaker, and if it is, why? Not only offloaded
>> interfaces like switches/routers can report buffer occupancy. Plain NICs
>> also have buffer pools, DMA RX/TX rings, MAC FIFOs, etc, that could
>> indicate congestion or otherwise high load. Maybe slab information could
>> be relevant, for lack of a better option, on virtual interfaces, but if
>> they're physical, why limit ourselves on reporting that? The IETF draft
>> you present says "This field indicates the current status of the
>> occupancy of the common buffer pool used by a set of queues." It appears
>> to me that we could try to get a reporting that has better granularity
>> (per interface, per queue) than just something based on
>> skbuff_head_cache. What if someone will need that finer granularity in
>> the future.
>
> Indeed.
>
> In my experience finding meaningful metrics is heard, the chances that
> something that seems useful on the surface actually provides meaningful
> signal in deployments is a lot lower than one may expect. And the

True.

> commit message reads as if the objective was checking a box in the
> implemented IOAM metrics, rather exporting relevant information.

Indeed, but not only. I sent this patchset as a Request for Comments to
see if it was correct and relevant. I mean, if there is no consensus on
this, I'll keep this data field as not supported, not a big deal. But
it would obviously be good to have it at some point (as long as what we
retrieve makes sense enough, and for all cases).

> We can do a roll call on people CCed but I read their silence as nobody

I thought that silence means consent. That's why more opinions would be
welcome, even if we seem to converge. Not only for opinions, but also
for any idea or guidance for a better solution, if any.

> thinks this metric is useful. Is there any experimental data you can
> point to which proves the signal strength?

Apart from the fact that I monitored the metric during normal and
high-load situations, honestly no. Values made sense during
those tests, though.