* development guide for installing KVMARM kernel
@ 2016-10-04 18:13 Eugene Bagdasaryan
From: Eugene Bagdasaryan @ 2016-10-04 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kvmarm

Hey guys

I am trying to install KVMARM kernel on my RPi3, I have found a link to Dev guide (http://www.virtualopensystems.com/en/solutions/guides/kvm-on-arm/) the guide seems a bit outdated, since it links to git repo https://github.com/virtualopensystems/linux-kvm-arm that has the latest commit dated back to 2014.
Can you please point me to the correct way to install this on RaspbianOS (4.4.11-v7+)

Thank you,
Eugene

* Re: development guide for installing KVMARM kernel
@ 2016-10-05 16:37 ` Marc Zyngier
From: Marc Zyngier @ 2016-10-05 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kvmarm, eb693

Hi Eugene,

On 2016-10-04 19:13, Eugene Bagdasaryan wrote:
> Hey guys
>
> I am trying to install KVMARM kernel on my RPi3, I have found a link
> to Dev guide
> (http://www.virtualopensystems.com/en/solutions/guides/kvm-on-arm/
> [1]) the guide seems a bit outdated, since it links to git repo
> https://github.com/virtualopensystems/linux-kvm-arm [2] that has the
> latest commit dated back to 2014.

This guide is indeed very much outdated, and is not really helpful in
your case.

> Can you please point me to the correct way to install this on
> RaspbianOS (4.4.11-v7+)

On decent hardware, and with a non broken bootloader, KVM works out of
the box (you just have to enable it in the kernel configuration).

Unfortunately, you have at least three issues to solve here:
(1) You're running an old 32bit kernel on 64bit HW
(2) Your bootloader probably enters the kernel in SVC instead of HYP
(3) Your HW lacks some of the  basic requirements to enable
virtualization on ARM

(1) can be solved by running a mainline 64bit kernel. You will also
need a 64bit userspace (you're currently running ARMv6 code...)
(2) should be solved by using a mainline u-boot, I believe.
(3) is currently worked on, but will require both kernel and qemu
patches. It will also be quite slow.

Of course, mainline probably lacks full support of the RPi3 HW. I guess
you have to evaluate whether you can switch (1) and (2) before even
thinking of (3).

Hope this helps,

         M.
--
Who you jivin' with that Cosmik Debris?

* RE: development guide for installing KVMARM kernel
@ 2016-10-06 18:54   ` Eugene Bagdasaryan
From: Eugene Bagdasaryan @ 2016-10-06 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marc Zyngier; +Cc: kvmarm

Hey Marc

I basically want to try and install OpenStack on RPi, which I guess is possible.
(1) For the 64-bit arm OS, what would you suggest?

Thank you,
Eugene

@ 2016-10-10 13:50     ` Marc Zyngier
From: Marc Zyngier @ 2016-10-10 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eugene Bagdasaryan; +Cc: kvmarm

On 2016-10-06 19:54, Eugene Bagdasaryan wrote:
> Hey Marc
>
> I basically want to try and install OpenStack on RPi, which I guess
> is possible.

Sounds pretty ambitious, but I guess someone has to try...

> (1) For the 64-bit arm OS, what would you suggest?

I'll defer that to the local RPi zealot (Alex, cc'd), because I've
stopped caring about this platform long before it even existed.

Alex, would you mind letting Eugene know how to run a full 64bit
mainline kernel + userspace on a RPi3?

Thanks,

          M.

@ 2016-10-11 16:35       ` Eugene Bagdasaryan
From: Eugene Bagdasaryan @ 2016-10-11 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marc Zyngier; +Cc: kvmarm

I am thinking now to try Pine 64, ‘cause it looks like everyone uses it for testing.

Hey guys

@ 2016-10-11 20:11       ` Alexander Graf
From: Alexander Graf @ 2016-10-11 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marc Zyngier, Eugene Bagdasaryan; +Cc: kvmarm

On 10.10.16 15:50, Marc Zyngier wrote:
> On 2016-10-06 19:54, Eugene Bagdasaryan wrote:
>> Hey Marc
>>
>> I basically want to try and install OpenStack on RPi, which I guess
>> is possible.
>
> Sounds pretty ambitious, but I guess someone has to try...
>
>> (1) For the 64-bit arm OS, what would you suggest?
>
> I'll defer that to the local RPi zealot (Alex, cc'd), because I've
> stopped caring about this platform long before it even existed.
>
> Alex, would you mind letting Eugene know how to run a full 64bit
> mainline kernel + userspace on a RPi3?

Sure! If everything works (and if it doesn't, please report to the
mailing list), just follow the description below:

https://en.opensuse.org/HCL:Raspberry_Pi3#Installing_the_64-bit_non-upstream_openSUSE_Tumbleweed_image

Get the image, put it on an SD card, boot it up (it takes ~5 minutes for
the first boot), then install your own upstream kernel on it and run it.
4.8 should work just fine.

If you also want KVM, make sure you have the user space irqchip fixes in
your kernel.

Alex

* Re: development guide for installing KVMARM kernel
@ 2016-10-12  6:45         ` Eugene Bagdasaryan
From: Eugene Bagdasaryan @ 2016-10-12  6:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Graf; +Cc: kvmarm

Alex

Thanks a lot for this info will let you know about progress!

Eugene