On 04/23/2018 02:05 PM, speck for Linus Torvalds wrote: > > > On Mon, 23 Apr 2018, speck for Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote: >> >> I believe (and Linus, please correct me here) that the question of >> toggling on/off SPEC_CTRL MSR on user-space entrance is a no-go. > > Absolutely. That would be entirely crazy. Yep, totally nuts, and nobody is asking for that :) > Is there a known situation where that would actually make sense? Intel point out that globally disabling MD by default has typically a few percent hit, but sometimes up to 30%. Therefore, they want it to be per-process controllable. As I said, e.g. with a prctrl that happens to control an MSR underneath, but it's not userspace setting an MSR. Anyway, Intel should articulate the ask. I've pointed it out because there's entirely a lack of alignment currently with both Intel and AMD wanting MD on by default (so some parts of the system vulnerable until we have a fine grained option available). It's great that they want it, but they need to help find a way to make that work. And my person opinion is that seccomp alone isn't enough of a criteria (Andi was proposing to just whack the MDD in that case, but this relies on all manner of userspace applications using seccomp that weren't). I think a simple prctrl is probably all we would have time to hack in to common stuff like OpenJDK. There's really not much time to do that, and a total lack of folks articulating that need loudly. Jon. -- Computer Architect | Sent from my Fedora powered laptop