* make c-stubdom returns No rule to make target `mini-os-x86_64-c'
@ 2015-04-16  8:32 Andrew Stuart
From: Andrew Stuart @ 2015-04-16  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel

Hello

I am trying to make the c example stubdomain but it’s not working.  Here’s what I am doing, any help valued:

thanks

root@contiki:/home/larsr/xen-4.4.2/stubdom# tail -n18 README

                                Your own stubdom
                                ================

  By running

cd stubdom/
make c-stubdom

  or

cd stubdom/
make caml-stubdom

  you can compile examples of C or caml stub domain kernels.  You can use these
and the relevant Makefile rules as basis to build your own stub domain kernel.
Available libraries are libc, libxc, libxs, zlib and libpci.
root@contiki:/home/larsr/xen-4.4.2/stubdom# cd stubdom
bash: cd: stubdom: No such file or directory
root@contiki:/home/larsr/xen-4.4.2/stubdom# make c-stubdom
make: *** No rule to make target `mini-os-x86_64-c', needed by `c-stubdom'.  Stop.
root@contiki:/home/larsr/xen-4.4.2/stubdom#

* Re: make c-stubdom returns No rule to make target `mini-os-x86_64-c'
@ 2015-04-16  9:10 ` Wei Liu
From: Wei Liu @ 2015-04-16  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Stuart; +Cc: wei.liu2, xen-devel

On Thu, Apr 16, 2015 at 06:32:49PM +1000, Andrew Stuart wrote:
> Hello

Hello

> I am trying to make the c example stubdomain but it’s not working.  Here’s what I am doing, any help valued:
>
> thanks

Stubdom's build environment is not very user friendly.

I would suggest you just build stubdom the "usual way", and then extract
the resulting files you need.

And may I ask why would you want to work on 4.4.2 release? If you want
to use stable release you can use 4.5(.1?). And if you feel adventurous
you can use xen-unstable.

Wei.

@ 2015-04-16  9:39   ` Andrew Stuart
From: Andrew Stuart @ 2015-04-16  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wei Liu; +Cc: xen-devel

Hi Wei

Thanks for your reply.  Forgive me but I’m new to this. What do you mean by 'just build stubdom the "usual way", and then extract
the resulting files you need.’  What is the usual way and which are the files I need?

Actually maybe I could ask you also a more specific question. I have a C application that I wish to run under minios. It is an embedded web server. I’m finding it chalenging to work out where to start to get it compiled as a minios domain.  Can I ask for some general guidance please an how to approach this task?  I’m struggling a bit right now to work out how to pull the C application into minios.

And yes I have now download unstable.

Sorry to be asking questions about things that are probably obvious but I’ve spend alot of hours on this and I’m getting an understanding I think but still a bit lost.

thanks

Andrew

@ 2015-04-16 10:17     ` Wei Liu
From: Wei Liu @ 2015-04-16 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Stuart; +Cc: Wei Liu, xen-devel

Please don't top-post.

On Thu, Apr 16, 2015 at 07:39:57PM +1000, Andrew Stuart wrote:
> Hi Wei
>
> Thanks for your reply.  Forgive me but I’m new to this. What do you
> mean by 'just build stubdom the "usual way", and then extract the
> resulting files you need.’  What is the usual way and which are the
> files I need?

Oops, sorry I was vague.

What I normally do is to stay in top level directory of the source tree,
run ./configure and then run make -- stubdom should be built by default.
But the C stubdom is not built by default. :-/

So in order to build c-stubdom, you need to enter stubdom directory and
run ./configure --enable-c-stubdom. You should see in the output
c-stubdom will be built.

> Actually maybe I could ask you also a more specific question. I have a
> C application that I wish to run under minios. It is an embedded web
> server. I’m finding it chalenging to work out where to start to get it
> compiled as a minios domain.  Can I ask for some general guidance
> please an how to approach this task?  I’m struggling a bit right now
> to work out how to pull the C application into minios.

Stubdom is mini-os + libc + all other libraries your application needs.
Yes, it's going to be an exercise. You need to wire up stubdom's
Makefile. There are existing examples in stubdom. You can try your luck.

Another way to achieve your goal is to try "rump kernel". It's still
under development but the build system is a bit nicer to work with than
our in-tree stubdom build system IMHO.

Both solutions will require some work. I can't tell for sure how much
work is required.

> And yes I have now download unstable.

One thing to note is that mini-os has been extracted to an external tree
in xen-unstable. The build system will clone it on the fly. It's
supposed to work out-of-box but in case you have problem you at least
have a clue about what is going on.

> Sorry to be asking questions about things that are probably obvious
> but I’ve spend alot of hours on this and I’m getting an understanding
> I think but still a bit lost.

No they are not general obvious. No need to be sorry.

Wei.

@ 2015-04-16 10:23       ` Ian Campbell
From: Ian Campbell @ 2015-04-16 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wei Liu; +Cc: Andrew Stuart, xen-devel

On Thu, 2015-04-16 at 11:17 +0100, Wei Liu wrote:
> Both solutions will require some work. I can't tell for sure how much
> work is required.

But I think we can safely(?) say that work done on rumpkernel will be a
more worthwhile investment, while work on stubdom would be more of a
sunk cost...

Ian.

* Re: make c-stubdom returns No rule to make target `mini-os-x86_64-c'
@ 2015-04-16 10:31         ` Wei Liu
From: Wei Liu @ 2015-04-16 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Campbell; +Cc: Andrew Stuart, Wei Liu, xen-devel

On Thu, Apr 16, 2015 at 11:23:49AM +0100, Ian Campbell wrote:
> On Thu, 2015-04-16 at 11:17 +0100, Wei Liu wrote:
> > Both solutions will require some work. I can't tell for sure how much
> > work is required.
>
> But I think we can safely(?) say that work done on rumpkernel will be a
> more worthwhile investment, while work on stubdom would be more of a
> sunk cost...

Yes, that's right.

Wei.

@ 2015-04-16 10:48       ` Andrew Stuart
From: Andrew Stuart @ 2015-04-16 10:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wei Liu; +Cc: xen-devel

>>Another way to achieve your goal is to try "rump kernel". It's still
>>under development but the build system is a bit nicer to work with than
>>our in-tree stubdom build system IMHO.

OK I’ll head in the rump kernel direction.  Is this where I should start?

https://github.com/rumpkernel/rumprun

thanks

Andrew

* Re: make c-stubdom returns No rule to make target `mini-os-x86_64-c'
@ 2015-04-16 10:50         ` Wei Liu
From: Wei Liu @ 2015-04-16 10:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Stuart; +Cc: Wei Liu, xen-devel

On Thu, Apr 16, 2015 at 08:48:36PM +1000, Andrew Stuart wrote:

> >>Another way to achieve your goal is to try "rump kernel". It's still
> >>under development but the build system is a bit nicer to work with than
> >>our in-tree stubdom build system IMHO.
>
> OK I’ll head in the rump kernel direction.  Is this where I should start?
>
> https://github.com/rumpkernel/rumprun

That's correct.

Wei.

@ 2015-04-16 13:02         ` Antti Kantee
From: Antti Kantee @ 2015-04-16 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Campbell, Wei Liu; +Cc: Andrew Stuart, xen-devel

On 16/04/15 10:23, Ian Campbell wrote:
> But I think we can safely(?) say that work done on rumpkernel will be a
> more worthwhile investment, while work on stubdom would be more of a
> sunk cost...

I can't speak for "stubdom", but I sure hope that work done on rump
kernels is a worthwhile investment ;)

One thing I'd like to note, though.  While we certainly welcome users
and contributors already, until someone manages to get around to
whacking the build system enough to support an "install toolchain"
feature, it is unclear which bits in the build directory are meant to
remain stable and which ones just happened to be there at $t.  If
someone wants to build systems and wants to depend on feature $x
remaining to be present, for now it's better to ask on the list.

http://wiki.rumpkernel.org/Info:-Community

   - antti