From: "Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason" <avarab@gmail.com>
To: Johannes Schindelin <Johannes.Schindelin@gmx.de>
Cc: "Taylor Blau" <me@ttaylorr.com>,
	git@vger.kernel.org, "Đoàn Trần Công Danh" <congdanhqx@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: js/bisect-in-c (was: What's cooking in git.git (Oct 2022, #09; Mon, 31))
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2022 15:11:56 +0100	[thread overview]

On Thu, Nov 10 2022, Johannes Schindelin wrote:

> Hi Taylor,
>
> On Wed, 2 Nov 2022, Taylor Blau wrote:

>> > I see this has been ejected out of "seen", presumably due to the
>> > outstanding conflicts.
>>
>> If I recall correctly, I ejected this one due to its age and lack of
>> attention. If you want to reroll it or if Johannes wants to take a look,
>> I'd be appreciative.

[Replying here instead of <s024qpqn-0roo-3rr2-nr4p-74p9296r6p02@tzk.qr>,
but take this as a reply to that as well]

> My last information was that I sent an iteration that was designed to
> address all outstanding concerns, including a rather major haul to put
> this on top of the new `OPT_SUBCOMMAND` feature that wasn't even dreamed
> of when I sent v1 of `bisect-in-c`, and then I only saw "Needs review."
> for several weeks and nobody objecting but also in particular Ævar (who
> raised concerns against this patch series several times over the last 10
> months) not chiming in with a "go ahead".

I think that "go ahead" from me was pretty unambiguous in [1], i.e. I said:

	"I think as it stands that it's a net improvement on "master". I
	would not mind it advanced in its current state. We can fix any
	outstanding issues with it later, particularly due to what seem
	like time constraints on your end[...]"

> So basically, I thought this was finally done and the next thing I hear is
> that it is ejected. [...]

What you're eliding here is that on the 4th Lukáš Doktor reported a
regression in "git bisect" that pre-dated your cooking topic[2].

You didn't participate in that discussion, except now to say that you
weren't motivated to review parts of the proposed fixes for that
regression it[3].

Which is relevant because in your topic you spend a lot of time
converting various code for the supposed needs of a migration to
OPT_SUBCOMMAND()[4]. Just the diffstat for that was:

Which didn't get all the way to the full OPT_SUBCOMMAND(). That still
needed [5] and [6], which are, respectively:

Whereas Đoàn's "dd/bisect-helper-subcommand", which is now in "next",
and which was aiming for the shortest route to fixing that regression,
and which also gave us OPT_SUBCOMMAND() is:

This is all around 2 months after Junio's feedback on your latest
iteration was also questioning the need for that rewrite to get to the
goal of OPT_SUBCOMMAND()[7].

> That's quite a frustrating experience, I must admit.
> At least I am not a new contributor who would be very much deterred from
> contributing any further by such an experience.

It's been frustrating for me too, particularly the as this isn't the
first time that I feel like you're outright misrepresenting something
I've said or done.

But I really don't think any of this translates to some general
unfriendliness on the list that new contributors would run into.

To take just the above example: New contributors aren't sending hundreds
of lines of patches to get to a stated goal of "X" by doing "A", and
then ignoring or dismissing reviews when it's pointed out to them that
they can get to "X" in a much easier manner by doing "B" instead.

Your original topic is a daunting:

Which, as noted above the replacement of Đoàn's
"dd/bisect-helper-subcommand" is:

And his "dd/git-bisect-builtin" in seen is:

Does that get us all the same thing sas js/bisect-in-c? No. But it does
get us to the primary goal whith fewer changes, which I think is the
main reason why your series has had such a hard time advancing.

1. https://lore.kernel.org/git/220819.86sfls6zhh.gmgdl@evledraar.gmail.com/
2. https://lore.kernel.org/git/1cb1c033-0525-7e62-8c09-81019bf26060@redhat.com/
3. https://lore.kernel.org/git/2477861r-9363-75sn-q415-o19206q70p90@tzk.qr/
4. https://lore.kernel.org/git/92b3b116ef8f879192d9deb94d68b73e29d5dcd6.1661885419.git.gitgitgadget@gmail.com/