From: "Ligang LIU" <heishuihe2008@163.com>
To: Sven Eckelmann <sven@narfation.org>
Cc: The list for a Better Approach To Mobile Ad-hoc Networking
	<b.a.t.m.a.n@lists.open-mesh.org>,
	a@unstable.cc, mareklindner@neomailbox.ch
Subject: [B.A.T.M.A.N.] mcast_rate setting of wifi interface has significant effect to performance of V. Re:Re: Recent test result. Re:Re: Paper "Performance Evaluation of BATMAN-adv Wireless Mesh Network Routing Algorithms "
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2018 12:03:07 +0800 (CST)	[thread overview]

Hi, dear all,

Thanks a lot to clarify my questions.

I'm continuing to test in my deployment and has found an interesting thing:
The mcast_rate setting of wifi interface has significent effect to performance of V,
while it does not affect batman-adv IV too much.

config wifi-iface 'default_radio1'
        option mcast_rate '18000'

I generated the wireless configuration in web page and there is no mcast_rate setting for adhoc mode. When I noticed the line "option mcast_rate '18000'" in the batman-adv wiki page, I tried to set mcast_rate and repeated the test. I find that, with mcast_rate setting, batman-adv IV will get some performance improvement, and the performance of batman-adv V has significantly improved.

I'm now trying to understand how the mcast_rate affects the performance of the adhoc network. If more tests can verify the importance of this setting, I so suggest that it should be highlighted for the end users of the batman-adv, especially for the new ones. For the OpenWRT system, if mcast_rate can be automatically set for the adhoc mode, or the related web page can explicitly provide a user interface  to set mcast_rate in adhoc mode, it should be more end user friendly.

I hope my tests can be helpful to improve the batman-adv V and your comments and suggestions are appreciated.

Here are the test results, for your reference, where the performance of V without mcast_rate setting is not provided because it is almost not acceptable. It can be also found that IV performs better over V and I will do more tests, following the suggestions in your previous emails, to improve the performance of V.

delay(ms)
To (IV with mcast)	(IV without mcast)	(V with mcast)
n1	1.508 	4.852 	10.069
n2	0.563 	3.435 	17.041
n3	2.183 	29.350 	25.851
n5	1.885 	2.428 	18.071
n6	1.193 	5.852 	73.519
n7	0.547 	2.314 	2.504

throughput(Mbps)
To (IV with mcast)	(IV without mcast)	(V with mcast)
n1	7.650 	4.740 	2.770
n2	7.750 	8.460 	2.640
n3	1.200 	0.372 	0.000
n5	8.630 	6.960 	4.420