* osstest planned outage consultation
@ 2018-03-02 16:55 Ian Jackson
From: Ian Jackson @ 2018-03-02 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: security, committers; +Cc: Lars Kurth, xen-devel

Several of the VMs in the Massachusetts Xen Project Test Lab, which
runs our community osstest instance, need to be upgraded.  And we want
to sort out some oddities with the way the storage is configured.

This will involve a long outage, maybe 3 days or so.

We should schedule this when it is convenient for everyone.  Right now
is not convenient because we have the BTI patches which are stuck in
various staging-NN branches and which need to be fixed and pushed to
stable-NN and released.

Also people may be away at various times.

If you have opinions about this please reply to this mail, to me and
to Lars.

Ian.

(For our reference, this relates to tickets 104771 102951)

* Re: osstest planned outage consultation
@ 2018-03-06  8:27 ` Jan Beulich
From: Jan Beulich @ 2018-03-06  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Jackson; +Cc: Lars Kurth, xen-devel, committers, security

>>> On 02.03.18 at 17:55, <ian.jackson@citrix.com> wrote:
> Several of the VMs in the Massachusetts Xen Project Test Lab, which
> runs our community osstest instance, need to be upgraded.  And we want
> to sort out some oddities with the way the storage is configured.
>
> This will involve a long outage, maybe 3 days or so.
>
> We should schedule this when it is convenient for everyone.  Right now
> is not convenient because we have the BTI patches which are stuck in
> various staging-NN branches and which need to be fixed and pushed to
> stable-NN and released.

The most recent flights don't look too bad anymore (at least
most of the <broken> have started disappearing again), so
there's some hop for pushes soon. I hope to get around to
push another batch of backports today, in particular to get
ready for 4.9.2 and 4.7.5, which should go out before the
end of the month. 4.10.1 is due mid of April, so from a stable
tree perspective best would probably be right after 4.9.2 /
4.7.5 have been finalized, as waiting for 4.10.1 would perhaps
be too much of a delay (and risk causing issues for 4.11-rc).

Jan

* Re: osstest planned outage consultation
@ 2018-03-06 19:32   ` Ian Jackson
From: Ian Jackson @ 2018-03-06 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Beulich; +Cc: Lars Kurth, xen-devel, committers, security

Jan Beulich writes ("Re: osstest planned outage consultation"):
> The most recent flights don't look too bad anymore (at least
> most of the <broken> have started disappearing again), so
> there's some hop for pushes soon. I hope to get around to
> push another batch of backports today, in particular to get
> ready for 4.9.2 and 4.7.5, which should go out before the
> end of the month. 4.10.1 is due mid of April, so from a stable
> tree perspective best would probably be right after 4.9.2 /
> 4.7.5 have been finalized, as waiting for 4.10.1 would perhaps
> be too much of a delay (and risk causing issues for 4.11-rc).

How about 28th-30th March ?  Bearing in mind staff availability.

Ian.

* Re: osstest planned outage consultation
@ 2018-03-07  8:00     ` Jan Beulich
From: Jan Beulich @ 2018-03-07  8:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Jackson; +Cc: Lars Kurth, xen-devel, committers, security

>>> On 06.03.18 at 20:32, <ian.jackson@citrix.com> wrote:
> Jan Beulich writes ("Re: osstest planned outage consultation"):
>> The most recent flights don't look too bad anymore (at least
>> most of the <broken> have started disappearing again), so
>> there's some hop for pushes soon. I hope to get around to
>> push another batch of backports today, in particular to get
>> ready for 4.9.2 and 4.7.5, which should go out before the
>> end of the month. 4.10.1 is due mid of April, so from a stable
>> tree perspective best would probably be right after 4.9.2 /
>> 4.7.5 have been finalized, as waiting for 4.10.1 would perhaps
>> be too much of a delay (and risk causing issues for 4.11-rc).
>
> How about 28th-30th March ?  Bearing in mind staff availability.

Fine with me, hoping there aren't any delays with the stable
releases.

Jan

* Re: osstest planned outage consultation
@ 2018-03-08 12:04       ` Ian Jackson
From: Ian Jackson @ 2018-03-08 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Beulich; +Cc: Lars Kurth, xen-devel, committers, security

Jan Beulich writes ("Re: osstest planned outage consultation"):
> On 06.03.18 at 20:32, <ian.jackson@citrix.com> wrote:
> > How about 28th-30th March ?  Bearing in mind staff availability.
>
> Fine with me, hoping there aren't any delays with the stable
> releases.

It turns out that another key member of staff is away then.  We will
have to do this some time in late April.  Some time the weekend of the
16th-20th I think.

Ian.

* Re: osstest planned outage consultation
@ 2018-03-09 16:02         ` Ian Jackson
From: Ian Jackson @ 2018-03-09 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Beulich, Lars Kurth, xen-devel, committers, security

Ian Jackson writes ("Re: osstest planned outage consultation"):
> It turns out that another key member of staff is away then.  We will
> have to do this some time in late April.  Some time the [week] of the
> 16th-20th I think.

Lars, can you check this is OK with Credativ and then report back here
with a confirmation we're doing it then ?

Ian.

* Re: osstest planned outage consultation
@ 2018-03-12 10:12           ` Lars Kurth
From: Lars Kurth @ 2018-03-12 10:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Jackson; +Cc: xen-devel, committers, security, 'Jan Beulich'

> On 9 Mar 2018, at 17:02, Ian Jackson <Ian.Jackson@citrix.com> wrote:
>
> Ian Jackson writes ("Re: osstest planned outage consultation"):
>> It turns out that another key member of staff is away then.  We will
>> have to do this some time in late April.  Some time the [week] of the
>> 16th-20th I think.
>
> Lars, can you check this is OK with Credativ and then report back here
> with a confirmation we're doing it then ?

Asked in ticket 104771
Will confirm when I get a response
Lars

* Re: osstest planned outage consultation
@ 2018-03-12 12:53             ` Lars Kurth
From: Lars Kurth @ 2018-03-12 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Jackson; +Cc: xen-devel, committers, security, 'Jan Beulich'

> On 12 Mar 2018, at 11:12, Lars Kurth <lars.kurth.xen@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On 9 Mar 2018, at 17:02, Ian Jackson <Ian.Jackson@citrix.com> wrote:
>>
>> Ian Jackson writes ("Re: osstest planned outage consultation"):
>>> It turns out that another key member of staff is away then.  We will
>>> have to do this some time in late April.  Some time the [week] of the
>>> 16th-20th I think.
>>
>> Lars, can you check this is OK with Credativ and then report back here
>> with a confirmation we're doing it then ?

OK. Felix from Credativ - whom we need - is OO from 16th-18th.
However he as well as others we need are available from the 19th.

Thus, anytime Apr 19 - 27 works.
Does this work for everyone?

Lars

* Re: osstest planned outage consultation
@ 2018-03-27 14:51               ` Ian Jackson
From: Ian Jackson @ 2018-03-27 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Kurth; +Cc: xen-devel, committers, security, 'Jan Beulich'

We are now planning to do this work on April 19th-21st.  osstest will
be shut down some time on the 17th/18th to let it drain its queue.

Ian.

* osstest outage,
@ 2018-04-16 10:25                 ` Ian Jackson
From: Ian Jackson @ 2018-04-16 10:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Kurth, 'Jan Beulich', committers, security, Juergen Gross
  Cc: xen-devel

Ian Jackson writes ("Re: osstest planned outage consultation"):
> We are now planning to do this work on April 19th-21st.  osstest will
> be shut down some time on the 17th/18th to let it drain its queue.

Reminder: I will stop it staring on new flights, some time tomorrow.

Ian.

* Re: osstest outage,
@ 2018-04-23 11:02                   ` Ian Jackson
From: Ian Jackson @ 2018-04-23 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Kurth, 'Jan Beulich',
	committers, security, Juergen Gross, xen-devel

The work is complete and a test job seems to have gone well.  I have
therefore un-stopped it.  The Xen Project osstest is now operational
and will start picking up work from the staging branches.

Please let me know if you spot anything untoward.

Ian.