From: Michael Baysek <mbaysek@liquidweb.com>
To: Stefan Hajnoczi <stefanha@gmail.com>
Cc: kvm@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: vhost-blk development
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2012 13:25:43 -0400 (EDT)	[thread overview]

Hi Stefan.

Well, I'm trying to determine which I/O method currently has the very least performance overhead and gives the best performance for both reads and writes.

I am doing my testing by putting the entire guest onto a ramdisk.  I'm working on an i5-760 with 16GB RAM with VT-d enabled.  I am running the standard Centos 6 kernel with 0.12.1.2 release of qemu-kvm that comes stock on Centos 6.  The guest is configured with 512 MB RAM, using, 4 cpu cores with it's /dev/vda being the ramdisk on the host.

I'm not closed to building a custom kernel or kvm if I can get better performance reliably.  However, my initial attempts with the 3.3.1 kernel and latest kvm gave mixed results.

I've been using iozone 3.98 with -O -l32 -i0 -i1 -i2 -e -+n -r4K -s250M to measure performance.

So, I was interested in vhost-blk since it seemed like a promising avenue to take a look at.  If you have any other thoughts, that would also be helpful.

-Mike