* libnvme questions
@ 2021-03-03 21:14 Tony Asleson
From: Tony Asleson @ 2021-03-03 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-nvme; +Cc: Tomas Bzatek

1. There is interest in utilizing the libnvme library for some other
projects, when is an official release of the library planned?

2. Is it planned for nvme-cli to utilize libnvme?

3. Any plans on adding functionality for NVMe management interfaces to
the library, e.g. NVMe Enclosures?

Thanks,
Tony

* Re: libnvme questions
@ 2021-03-08  7:48 ` Chaitanya Kulkarni
From: Chaitanya Kulkarni @ 2021-03-08  7:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tasleson, linux-nvme; +Cc: Tomas Bzatek, Keith Busch

(+CC Keith)

On 3/3/21 17:52, Tony Asleson wrote:
> 3. Any plans on adding functionality for NVMe management interfaces to
> the library, e.g. NVMe Enclosures?

I'd add a plug-in for he nvme-cli named mi if Keith is okay with that.

Maintaining a separate utility seems out of scope for nvme-cli to me.

* Re: libnvme questions
@ 2021-03-10 20:48 ` Keith Busch
From: Keith Busch @ 2021-03-10 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tony Asleson; +Cc: linux-nvme, Tomas Bzatek

On Wed, Mar 03, 2021 at 03:14:02PM -0600, Tony Asleson wrote:
> 1. There is interest in utilizing the libnvme library for some other
> projects, when is an official release of the library planned?
>
> 2. Is it planned for nvme-cli to utilize libnvme?

This is my bad, I fell behind the task due to mutliple conflicts of
time, but I am back on this right now. The plan is to tag nvme-cli v1.14
within the next few weeks, then make the shift to libnvme integration
on a "2.0" version for future work on the master branch. This would
coincide with an official libnvme stable release.

I honestly do not have enough devices to regression test all the
features, so I will continue to maintain nvme-cli 1.x branches as long
as necessary while ironing out any integration issues.

> 3. Any plans on adding functionality for NVMe management interfaces to
> the library, e.g. NVMe Enclosures?

Will be happen to incorporate any features that are in-spec.

* Re: libnvme questions
@ 2021-03-11  4:43   ` Chaitanya Kulkarni
From: Chaitanya Kulkarni @ 2021-03-11  4:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith Busch, Tony Asleson; +Cc: linux-nvme, Tomas Bzatek

Keith,

On 3/10/21 12:56, Keith Busch wrote:
>> 3. Any plans on adding functionality for NVMe management interfaces to
>> the library, e.g. NVMe Enclosures?
> Will be happen to incorporate any features that are in-spec.

Adding MI support is good idea ? I think it will bloat the basic
functionality.

Can we consider adding MI plug-in for it ?

* Re: libnvme questions
@ 2021-03-12 15:35     ` Tony Asleson
From: Tony Asleson @ 2021-03-12 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chaitanya Kulkarni, Keith Busch; +Cc: linux-nvme, Tomas Bzatek

On 3/10/21 10:43 PM, Chaitanya Kulkarni wrote:
> Keith,
>
> On 3/10/21 12:56, Keith Busch wrote:
>>> 3. Any plans on adding functionality for NVMe management interfaces to
>>> the library, e.g. NVMe Enclosures?
>> Will be happen to incorporate any features that are in-spec.
>>

> Adding MI support is good idea ? I think it will bloat the basic
> functionality.
>
> Can we consider adding MI plug-in for it ?

IMHO having standards based functionality only in the cli as a plugin
diminishes the value of the library.  If a developer is required to fork
& exec the cli for some functionality, just do it for all.

If the size of libnvme is a concern, MI could be built into a separate
library from the same source tree that leverages the base libnvme
library, to allow selective install & use.

* Re: libnvme questions
@ 2021-03-12 16:18       ` Keith Busch
       [not found]         ` <CGME20210407123854epcas5p48217db953741a57d651a8a8bf240ee23@epcas5p4.samsung.com>
From: Keith Busch @ 2021-03-12 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tony Asleson; +Cc: Chaitanya Kulkarni, linux-nvme, Tomas Bzatek

On Fri, Mar 12, 2021 at 09:35:14AM -0600, Tony Asleson wrote:
> On 3/10/21 10:43 PM, Chaitanya Kulkarni wrote:
> > Keith,

> >> Will be happen to incorporate any features that are in-spec.
> >>

> > Adding MI support is good idea ? I think it will bloat the basic
> > functionality.
> >
> > Can we consider adding MI plug-in for it ?
> >

> IMHO having standards based functionality only in the cli as a plugin
> diminishes the value of the library.  If a developer is required to fork
> & exec the cli for some functionality, just do it for all.
>
> If the size of libnvme is a concern, MI could be built into a separate
> library from the same source tree that leverages the base libnvme
> library, to allow selective install & use.

The MI support through the in-band admin queue is totally fine to
support here. If a feature is in-spec, then it has a place in this
library.

MI support over smbus is probably out-of-scope, though.

* Re: libnvme questions
@ 2021-03-31 14:15   ` Hannes Reinecke
From: Hannes Reinecke @ 2021-03-31 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith Busch; +Cc: linux-nvme, Tomas Bzatek, Tony Asleson

Hi Keith,

On 3/10/21 9:48 PM, Keith Busch wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 03, 2021 at 03:14:02PM -0600, Tony Asleson wrote:
>> 1. There is interest in utilizing the libnvme library for some other
>> projects, when is an official release of the library planned?
>>
>> 2. Is it planned for nvme-cli to utilize libnvme?
>
> This is my bad, I fell behind the task due to mutliple conflicts of
> time, but I am back on this right now. The plan is to tag nvme-cli v1.14
> within the next few weeks, then make the shift to libnvme integration
> on a "2.0" version for future work on the master branch. This would
> coincide with an official libnvme stable release.
>
> I honestly do not have enough devices to regression test all the
> features, so I will continue to maintain nvme-cli 1.x branches as long
> as necessary while ironing out any integration issues.

Any updates here?
We've got some changes/reworks pending (the nvme monitor stuff, and also
a new configuration file mechanism with using a json config file), and
it would be good to know what would be the appropriate base for all of this.

We could give you a helping hand in moving nvme-cli over to nvmelib if
that's an issue ...

Cheers,

Hannes
--
Dr. Hannes Reinecke		           Kernel Storage Architect
hare@suse.de			                  +49 911 74053 688

* Re: libnvme questions
@ 2021-03-31 14:54     ` Keith Busch
From: Keith Busch @ 2021-03-31 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hannes Reinecke; +Cc: linux-nvme, Tomas Bzatek, Tony Asleson

On Wed, Mar 31, 2021 at 04:15:24PM +0200, Hannes Reinecke wrote:
> Hi Keith,
>
> On 3/10/21 9:48 PM, Keith Busch wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 03, 2021 at 03:14:02PM -0600, Tony Asleson wrote:
> >> 1. There is interest in utilizing the libnvme library for some other
> >> projects, when is an official release of the library planned?
> >>
> >> 2. Is it planned for nvme-cli to utilize libnvme?
> >
> > This is my bad, I fell behind the task due to mutliple conflicts of
> > time, but I am back on this right now. The plan is to tag nvme-cli v1.14
> > within the next few weeks, then make the shift to libnvme integration
> > on a "2.0" version for future work on the master branch. This would
> > coincide with an official libnvme stable release.
> >
> > I honestly do not have enough devices to regression test all the
> > features, so I will continue to maintain nvme-cli 1.x branches as long
> > as necessary while ironing out any integration issues.
> >
> Any updates here?
> We've got some changes/reworks pending (the nvme monitor stuff, and also
> a new configuration file mechanism with using a json config file), and
> it would be good to know what would be the appropriate base for all of this.
>
> We could give you a helping hand in moving nvme-cli over to nvmelib if
> that's an issue ...

Thank you, yes, that would be appreciated. I've ported it a couple
times, but I keep having to rebase. It's not terribly difficult, but it
takes a lot of time..

* Re: libnvme questions
@ 2021-03-31 15:29       ` Hannes Reinecke
From: Hannes Reinecke @ 2021-03-31 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith Busch; +Cc: linux-nvme

On 3/31/21 4:54 PM, Keith Busch wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 31, 2021 at 04:15:24PM +0200, Hannes Reinecke wrote:
>> Hi Keith,

>>> This is my bad, I fell behind the task due to mutliple conflicts of
>>> time, but I am back on this right now. The plan is to tag nvme-cli v1.14
>>> within the next few weeks, then make the shift to libnvme integration
>>> on a "2.0" version for future work on the master branch. This would
>>> coincide with an official libnvme stable release.
>>>
>>> I honestly do not have enough devices to regression test all the
>>> features, so I will continue to maintain nvme-cli 1.x branches as long
>>> as necessary while ironing out any integration issues.
>>>
>> Any updates here?
>> We've got some changes/reworks pending (the nvme monitor stuff, and also
>> a new configuration file mechanism with using a json config file), and
>> it would be good to know what would be the appropriate base for all of this.
>>
>> We could give you a helping hand in moving nvme-cli over to nvmelib if
>> that's an issue ...
>
> Thank you, yes, that would be appreciated. I've ported it a couple
> times, but I keep having to rebase. It's not terribly difficult, but it
> takes a lot of time..

Can you send me your latest attempts?
That should be a good starting point, and probably avoids some work on
our side ...

Cheers,

Hannes
--
Dr. Hannes Reinecke                Kernel Storage Architect
hare@suse.de                              +49 911 74053 688
SUSE Software Solutions GmbH, Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nürnberg
HRB 36809 (AG Nürnberg), Geschäftsführer: Felix Imendörffer

* libnvme questions
       [not found]         ` <CGME20210407123854epcas5p48217db953741a57d651a8a8bf240ee23@epcas5p4.samsung.com>
@ 2021-04-07 12:38           ` Padmakar Kalghatgi
                               ` (2 more replies)
From: Padmakar Kalghatgi @ 2021-04-07 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kbusch
  Cc: Chaitanya.Kulkarni, linux-nvme, tasleson, tbzatek, prakash.v,
	d.palani, javier.gonz, k.jensen, mohit.kap, krish.reddy

 We would like to propose an implementation of sideband nvme-mi command set  in nvme-cli & QEMU Subsystem.

   What are we going to target?

·  NVMe-CLI plug-in for MI (sideband)

      Implementation of MI commands as per NVMe MI specification.
      Enabling  to send the MI commands via SMBus\Hardwares\Emulation.
      Implement this as a plugin which will be similar to the ZNS and other plugins.
      Provide placeholders for users to plug in the hardware library of their choice.

Along with this, we planned to implement the sideband MI command handling in QEMU.
If this feature is used as a plugin, it wont have any impact on the existing interfaces which the nvme command uses.

Please share your thougths whether to have this feature as a plugin or as a standalone tool, also provide feedback on our plan to have the sideband MI functionality.
We are open to co-work and collaborate on this feature development.

Since most of the companies who develop SSDs, use MI(sideband) channel, we think this will be a good enhancement to the existing functionality which the nvme-cli provides.

Here is a list of SSDs released which uses sideband MI:
ref: https://www.iol.unh.edu/registry/nvme-mi

WDC SN630
WDC SN640
WDC SN640
WDC Ultrastar DC SN630

HGST Ultrastar SN200

Intel D7-P5500
Intel® Optane™ SSD DC P4800X
Intel® SSD DC P4500 Series
Intel® SSD DC P4608 Series
Intel® SSD DC P4600 Series
Intel® SSD DC P4501 Series

Samsung NVMe 172X Series

Thanks,
Padmakar

* Re: libnvme questions
@ 2021-04-07 21:34         ` Keith Busch
From: Keith Busch @ 2021-04-07 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hannes Reinecke; +Cc: linux-nvme

On Wed, Mar 31, 2021 at 05:29:46PM +0200, Hannes Reinecke wrote:
> On 3/31/21 4:54 PM, Keith Busch wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 31, 2021 at 04:15:24PM +0200, Hannes Reinecke wrote:
> > > Hi Keith,

> > > Any updates here?
> > > We've got some changes/reworks pending (the nvme monitor stuff, and also
> > > a new configuration file mechanism with using a json config file), and
> > > it would be good to know what would be the appropriate base for all of this.
> > >
> > > We could give you a helping hand in moving nvme-cli over to nvmelib if
> > > that's an issue ...
> >
> > Thank you, yes, that would be appreciated. I've ported it a couple
> > times, but I keep having to rebase. It's not terribly difficult, but it
> > takes a lot of time..
> >
> Can you send me your latest attempts?
> That should be a good starting point, and probably avoids some work on our
> side ...

Sorry for the long delay. I thought it was going to be a quick effort to
make that available, but it wasn't so simple. I just popped all the git
stashes I had around and integrated them into a branch I started last
month. The result is here:

  https://github.com/linux-nvme/nvme-cli/tree/libnvme-int-3.4.2021

It's reasonably complete and tests fine for the commands that I can
execute.

* Re: libnvme questions
@ 2021-04-07 23:16             ` Chaitanya Kulkarni
From: Chaitanya Kulkarni @ 2021-04-07 23:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Padmakar Kalghatgi, kbusch
  Cc: linux-nvme, tasleson, tbzatek, prakash.v, d.palani, javier.gonz,

On 4/7/21 05:46, Padmakar Kalghatgi wrote:
> Along with this, we planned to implement the sideband MI command handling in QEMU.

why ?

* Re: libnvme questions
@ 2021-04-07 23:19             ` Chaitanya Kulkarni
From: Chaitanya Kulkarni @ 2021-04-07 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Padmakar Kalghatgi
  Cc: kbusch, linux-nvme, tasleson, tbzatek, prakash.v, d.palani,
	javier.gonz, k.jensen, mohit.kap, krish.reddy

On 4/7/21 05:46, Padmakar Kalghatgi wrote:

> Please share your thougths whether to have this feature as a plugin or as a standalone tool, also provide feedback on our plan to have the sideband MI functionality.

If you want it all in one place you should implement it as plugin,
it will make your life easier.

I think Keith has already NAVKED SMBus, you need to provide a really good
justification if you want that to be a part of nvme-cli.

* Re: libnvme questions
@ 2021-04-07 23:37             ` Keith Busch
From: Keith Busch @ 2021-04-07 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Padmakar Kalghatgi
  Cc: Chaitanya.Kulkarni, linux-nvme, tasleson, tbzatek, prakash.v,

On Wed, Apr 07, 2021 at 06:08:06PM +0530, Padmakar Kalghatgi wrote:
> Since most of the companies who develop SSDs, use MI(sideband) channel, we think this will be a good enhancement to the existing functionality which the nvme-cli provides.

Can we even use this from a Linux host? I thought the sideband channel
was typically connected to the baseboard management controller.

* Re: libnvme questions
@ 2021-04-08  7:48               ` Padmakar Kalghatgi
From: Padmakar Kalghatgi @ 2021-04-08  7:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chaitanya Kulkarni
  Cc: kbusch, linux-nvme, tasleson, tbzatek, prakash.v, d.palani,

On Wed, Apr 07, 2021 at 11:16:02PM +0000, Chaitanya Kulkarni wrote:
>On 4/7/21 05:46, Padmakar Kalghatgi wrote:
>> Along with this, we planned to implement the sideband MI command handling in QEMU.
>
>why ?

Add MI command emulation and avoid HW dependency for development and
testing.

* Re: libnvme questions
@ 2021-04-08  7:50               ` Padmakar Kalghatgi
From: Padmakar Kalghatgi @ 2021-04-08  7:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chaitanya Kulkarni
  Cc: kbusch, linux-nvme, tasleson, tbzatek, prakash.v, d.palani,

On Wed, Apr 07, 2021 at 11:19:57PM +0000, Chaitanya Kulkarni wrote:
>On 4/7/21 05:46, Padmakar Kalghatgi wrote:
>>
>> Please share your thougths whether to have this feature as a plugin or as a standalone tool, also provide feedback on our plan to have the sideband MI functionality.
>
>If you want it all in one place you should implement it as plugin,
>it will make your life easier.
>
>I think Keith has already NAVKED SMBus, you need to provide a really good
>justification if you want that to be a part of nvme-cli.

There are many SSD Vendors (Eg., as listed earlier) and OEMs using side
band to validate MI. Hence we believe this plugin will be useful to the
community.

* Re: libnvme questions
@ 2021-04-08  7:51               ` Padmakar Kalghatgi
From: Padmakar Kalghatgi @ 2021-04-08  7:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith Busch
  Cc: Chaitanya.Kulkarni, linux-nvme, tasleson, tbzatek, prakash.v,

On Thu, Apr 08, 2021 at 08:37:06AM +0900, Keith Busch wrote:
>On Wed, Apr 07, 2021 at 06:08:06PM +0530, Padmakar Kalghatgi wrote:
>> Since most of the companies who develop SSDs, use MI(sideband) channel, we think this will be a good enhancement to the existing functionality which the nvme-cli provides.
>
>Can we even use this from a Linux host? I thought the sideband channel
>was typically connected to the baseboard management controller.

Yes, this can be used from Linux host by having additional hardwares, like TotalPhase's aardvark, Corelis etc, which are connected to the NVMe device.

* Re: libnvme questions
@ 2021-04-08 12:09               ` Christoph Hellwig
From: Christoph Hellwig @ 2021-04-08 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith Busch
  Cc: Padmakar Kalghatgi, Chaitanya.Kulkarni, linux-nvme, tasleson,
	tbzatek, prakash.v, d.palani, javier.gonz, k.jensen, mohit.kap,
	krish.reddy

On Thu, Apr 08, 2021 at 08:37:06AM +0900, Keith Busch wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 07, 2021 at 06:08:06PM +0530, Padmakar Kalghatgi wrote:
> > Since most of the companies who develop SSDs, use MI(sideband) channel, we think this will be a good enhancement to the existing functionality which the nvme-cli provides.
>
> Can we even use this from a Linux host? I thought the sideband channel
> was typically connected to the baseboard management controller.

... which typically run Linux these days :)

* Re: libnvme questions
@ 2021-04-08 16:46                 ` Keith Busch
From: Keith Busch @ 2021-04-08 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Padmakar Kalghatgi
  Cc: Chaitanya.Kulkarni, linux-nvme, tasleson, tbzatek, prakash.v,

On Thu, Apr 08, 2021 at 01:21:26PM +0530, Padmakar Kalghatgi wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 08, 2021 at 08:37:06AM +0900, Keith Busch wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 07, 2021 at 06:08:06PM +0530, Padmakar Kalghatgi wrote:
> > > Since most of the companies who develop SSDs, use MI(sideband) channel, we think this will be a good enhancement to the existing functionality which the nvme-cli provides.
> >
> > Can we even use this from a Linux host? I thought the sideband channel
> > was typically connected to the baseboard management controller.
> >
> Yes, this can be used from Linux host by having additional hardwares, like TotalPhase's aardvark, Corelis etc, which are connected to the NVMe device.

That doesn't sound something for end users, but okay. Can we see the
nvme-mi bus driver before considering tools and emulation?

* Re: libnvme questions
@ 2021-04-09  3:58                 ` Chaitanya Kulkarni
From: Chaitanya Kulkarni @ 2021-04-09  3:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Padmakar Kalghatgi
  Cc: kbusch, linux-nvme, tasleson, tbzatek, prakash.v, d.palani,

On 4/8/21 00:52, Padmakar Kalghatgi wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 07, 2021 at 11:16:02PM +0000, Chaitanya Kulkarni wrote:
>> On 4/7/21 05:46, Padmakar Kalghatgi wrote:
>>> Along with this, we planned to implement the sideband MI command handling in QEMU.
>> why ?
>>

> Add MI command emulation and avoid HW dependency for development and
> testing.

Absolutely not. With this logic we have to implement entire NVMe command
set.Current QEMU implementation is lean, I'd like to keep that way and not
bloat it just for the sake of testing unless there is a kernel component
that is consuming MI interface and I don't think so we will have it
anytime soon.

* Re: libnvme questions
@ 2021-04-09  5:48                   ` Klaus Jensen
From: Klaus Jensen @ 2021-04-09  5:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chaitanya Kulkarni
  Cc: Padmakar Kalghatgi, kbusch, linux-nvme, tasleson, tbzatek,

On Apr  9 03:58, Chaitanya Kulkarni wrote:
>On 4/8/21 00:52, Padmakar Kalghatgi wrote:
>>> why ?
>>>

>> Add MI command emulation and avoid HW dependency for development and
>> testing.
>>

>Absolutely not. With this logic we have to implement entire NVMe command
>set.Current QEMU implementation is lean, I'd like to keep that way and not
>bloat it just for the sake of testing unless there is a kernel component
>that is consuming MI interface and I don't think so we will have it
>anytime soon.

I don't see why this would bloat the nvme device. The out-of-band
mechanism would necessarily be implemented by a separate qdev device
that would "listen in" on relevant QEMU busses (PCI, nvme-bus). I expect
this to look something along the lines of ipmi_sim.

The QEMU nvme device is a PCI device, I don't see that changing. It can
implement the in-band tunneling mechanism through the NVMe-MI
Send/Receive commands, but the real work would be handed off to the
nvme-mi qdev device.

At least I think that's how I would do it.

[-- Attachment #1.2: signature.asc --]

* Re: libnvme questions
@ 2021-04-12  8:56                   ` Padmakar Kalghatgi
From: Padmakar Kalghatgi @ 2021-04-12  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith Busch
  Cc: Chaitanya.Kulkarni, linux-nvme, tasleson, tbzatek, prakash.v,

On Fri, Apr 09, 2021 at 01:46:45AM +0900, Keith Busch wrote:
>On Thu, Apr 08, 2021 at 01:21:26PM +0530, Padmakar Kalghatgi wrote:
>> >
>> > Can we even use this from a Linux host? I thought the sideband channel
>> > was typically connected to the baseboard management controller.
>> >
>> Yes, this can be used from Linux host by having additional hardwares, like TotalPhase's aardvark, Corelis etc, which are connected to the NVMe device.
>
>That doesn't sound something for end users, but okay. Can we see the
>nvme-mi bus driver before considering tools and emulation?

Please find the below block diagram for the MI communication on the
linux host. The nvme-bus driver is  nothing but the USB driver of the
hardware which is provided by the vendor.

 ____________________
|                    |
|                    |
|     (MI Plugin)    |     USB    |  Aardvark   |  SMBus  |            |
|                    |============|  \Corelis   |=========| NVMe Device|

* Re: libnvme questions
@ 2021-04-12 11:48                     ` Padmakar Kalghatgi
From: Padmakar Kalghatgi @ 2021-04-12 11:48 UTC (permalink / raw)