From: "John Stoffel" <john@stoffel.org>
To: Roger Heflin <rogerheflin@gmail.com>
Cc: antlists <antlists@youngman.org.uk>,
	John Stoffel <john@stoffel.org>,
	Bill Hudacek <bill.hudacek@gmail.com>,
	mdraid <linux-raid@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: Question: RAID cabinet for home use
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2021 12:42:44 -0400	[thread overview]

>>>>> "Roger" == Roger Heflin <rogerheflin@gmail.com> writes:

Roger> resending without html.  Lovely that you seem to have to disable html
Roger> on each reply.

Roger>  I found an $80 rackmount case that has 2 sets of 3x5.25" bays and
Roger> would take 2 of the  4 into 3 3.5" hot swap bays (icy dock or athena
Roger> like devices).
Roger> https://www.newegg.com/black-istarusa-d-416/p/N82E16811165215

This looks like an interesting case, lots and lots of drive bays...

https://www.newegg.com/rosewill-rsv-l4500u-black/p/N82E16811147328?quicklink=true

and it looks like it even has USB3 on the front.

Roger>  Outside of that one I did not see much that had 6 external 5.25"
Roger> slots and did not cost a huge amount.   The above is empty, no fans,
Roger> no PS.

Roger>  I have an old ThermalKing M9 that has 9-5.25" external bays and I
Roger> have 3 of the 4 into 3's in it giving me 12 usable hot swap 3.5"
Roger> drives, but that case appears to no longer be made, and I seem to
Roger> remember when I bought it I only found maybe 3 cases similar to it and
Roger> a couple of them were 2x the price.

Roger>  Now it appears that the most important feature of a case is having
Roger> way too many colorful lighted fans.